1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anybody embarrased enough...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRaven, Oct 29, 2002.

Tags:
  1. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

...to put Les in a closet somewhere?
    Anymore of his season-ticket hawking BS hype about how good Yao Ming is going to be and what little respectability we've acquired over the last few months is history.:mad:
    Go skin an animal, Les...
    Medium well, please.

2. HoustonTx

HoustonTx Member

What are you talking about... THIS IS BIGGER THAN JACKIE ROBINSON!!!!!

Yao Ming - Yao Ming - Yao Ming Yao Ming Yao Ming

3. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

No doubt...
    I'm just saying let the walking do the talking.
    He excels, the team wins. If nothing else happens the corporate fair-weather, were-you-at-the-game-last-night? types will spend their bread again and pack the place once it becomes obvious what the potential is. But the more he compares Yao to Jordans and Tigers, the bigger target the little ass paints on Yao's chest.
    Bottom line: Ming IS big... and will be bigger. But it's got to happen, not be force fed.

4. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Make no mistake. This is NOT bigger than Jackie Robinson.

5. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Like it or not it's a BUSINESS..He's just doing his job and marketing a product.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

THe Raven:- There is a special Bird cage in the Museum of Natural History in NY., especially for RAVENS! Any more like this one and transportation to a Taxidermist and on to NY., can be arranged!

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I have my doubts as to how effective this kind of marketing will be for the typical fair-weather fans of Houston, I see it as something of an initiation to Ming. He has been "the man" in China for a good while now, so I think he is used to pressure and national attention. However, if for some reason Ming starts out slower and takes longer to adjust than we expect, the marketing and generated hype really IS going to backfire.

Oh well, attendance can't get much worse than it was last season.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually this IS bigger then Jackie Robinson.

Especially in China.

DaDakota

9. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

That's nothing compared to the Reliant commercials and that Guy that's in them.
    Now that's annoying.

10. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

OPening night is a sell out and so are a few other games, so we know that marketing this way has some effect....the long-term gain depends on how the Rockets do, not Ming necessarily. If the Rockets, open up November in the top 8 in the conference, I think attendance will be up....Ming will attract some, especially early to see him, but long-term Ws matter most!!!!

When sac-town was not the hottest team around, you could had a sac-town game ticket pretty readily...still close to sell outs, but not quite. Do not think this town is fair weather compared to others...all towns are! There is no team with perfect attendance when losing and finishing out of the playoffs three years in a row!

It all comes down to the W

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This is definitely not bigger than Jackie Robinson. If you honestly can't see the difference, I'm sure a lot of people on this board could help you understand.

12. Possum

Possum Member

This IS bigger than Jackie Robinson.......Too me!! :p

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Bigger than Jackie Robinson?? Only in height and in China my friend. Comparing this to Jackie Robinson is ridiculous.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Would you settle for bigger than Jackie Chan?

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This isn't bigger then Jackie Robinson because Chinese players were never banned from the NBA and they weren't harassed, mocked, and didn't receive death threats. Also Ming isn't the first Chinese player to make the NBA. Comparing this to Jackie Robinson is a slap in the face.

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Les got excited...come on now...Do you really think he believes what he says? I don't.

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I agree. International players were never barred from the NBA, they just weren't good enough to have a strong presence until about 20 years ago. That was never the case in the US when african americans were barred from playing in the big time just for being black.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Didn't Denver sell out Mile High for quite a few seasons in a row without winning squat?

19. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

You're joking right? Please say that you're just joking?

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

well ming is bigger than jackie robinson. who's gonna say he isn't?