1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Amen Thompson A Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 28, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cannot say Scoot looks worse when he plays more and yeah he has had a bad slump to start the season...

1. He is playing regularly off the bench
    2. He is turning the corner in the last games.
    3. Compared to someone who has not played at all - Amen to the Halleluja

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I like the kid but he definitely does NOT have a great handle. I would say that very much holds him back right now because he either gets the ball poked or looses control trying to avoid defenders on drives and it causes him to gather the ball in awkward ways which is why he is such a terrible finisher right now.

apollo33 and rfrocket like this.
  3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Crazy to think his bad eyesight is why he was shooting so many air balls earlier this season. Once he tried the new glasses he started looking like a real player.

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Real bad thread.

If people still aren't willing to thrown the B word around Jalen, I think we've got quite a few years before it can even be thought about for Amen.

Patience and glimmertwins like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, Ignite players, I would not even look at right now.......this has to be one of the worst programs......

Just send those young players to Australia, Europe and what not.....in no specific order.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

This!
    Lack of a jumper won't stop an uber athlete from driving in and dunking at the rim or getting an easy layup.
    A broke handle will!
    Even at OTE he would sometimes have to throw up wild, off balance layup attempts!

His broke handle is much, Much, MUCH more problematic for me with Amen the point guard than his lack of an outside jumper!

Yes I'm worried a bit.
    Just for different reasons.

7. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

He has a lot of the same problems Jalen has. I don't think he's ever going to be able to shoot or be a good ball handler. As others have pointed out basketball has pretty much been his entire life. His form and handle should be much better. We drafted another athlete unfortunately

8. corrado

corrado Member

If learning to shoot is his only hope he is as good as done. He has shoot, shoot, shoot all his life with his brother and look at them both now. What he needs is tighter handle and more confidence. What kills Ben Simmons is lack of confidence and injuries. With MCW shooting wasn't his only problem. If he becomes bigger and more athletic Rondo, he will have a long and successful career.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is exactly right. It depends on your definition of bust when it comes to “bust potential”. I think his floor is a solid rotational piece that can be a defensive disrupter and great transition player. HOF is his ceiling like you said.

#89 Hemingway, Dec 29, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think people on this board don’t understand how the draft works. You draft a player and you have a certain range of outcomes expected from that in terms of their ceiling and floor compared to the other available picks. Then the player gets into your org and you really are just trying to figure out what that player needs to grow. Where they end up will be their own unique circumstance but people in this board tend to think that any player who isn’t exactly they way their thought of them on first impression - has failed relative to expectations and the reality is the failure is our projections - not the player.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Do some people just feel a compulsion to pass judgment on a players career early in their rookie season? Is this some form of OCD?

Deckard, Patience, No Worries and 4 others like this.
  13. MystikArkitect

They just want attention.

topfive, Mathloom and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

this is funny. he looks very promising to me.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Is that right? LOL - sometimes it is crazy how small things matter, what are his splits before and after the new eye wear?

DD

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He's only a few games in but even the misses look better - the way he was missing shots earlier in the year was like he was shooting with his eyes closed.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Is this something teams should measure now?

After wingspan and verticals, take out the eye chart. Does athletism points get deducted from this? o_O

Deckard likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Was this about Amen or Ausur? If Ausur, they are twins so maybe check Amen’s as well.

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

We were talking about Scoot Henderson’s shooting struggles so far this year - he has been worse than Amen and apparently was recently told he needed glasses

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was pretty vocal about my concerns with his skillset and age but I think we are at a wait and see point with him. Outside of Wemby no one has looked amazing from this draft so far.

napalm06 likes this.