1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Amen Thompson A Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 28, 2023.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

if he’s Ben Simmons, that’s called a pure bust who is terrified of a basketball court

2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

At least until then.... He's only 20 right???

3. mario_v

mario_v Member

Amen will be Ben Simmons if he actually cared about about basketball and reached his full potential.

Y2JT likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Never heard of that Ben Simmons cause it doesn’t exist

5. Gergin

Gergin Member

Way too early but I also don't understand how both twins are so bad at shooting. And the lack of a jump shot will severely limit his potential. And iirc Ausar was supposed to be the one with a better jump shot and now he averages 16% from the three.

How many players came into the league with a basically non existent shot and became decent?

#25 Gergin, Dec 28, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give him 162 more games and 5455 more minutes and see how he's progressed compared to Jalen on his shooting, ball handling, and defense. Then, decide if he's a bust.

Jalen 39.4 FG%
    Thompson 40.4 FG%

172 games (5602 min) Green
    10 games (147 min) Thompson

Easy, Hakeemtheking and Y2JT like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No, but he really needs to learn to shoot or he will be limited to role player.

DD

albuster and PWR like this.
  8. vince

vince Member

Amén is an intriguing player. He is a basketball athletic savant. But he has a huge hole in his game, and that is the lack of efficient and effective shooting ability.

He’s young, and he can still work on his shooting, but it’s never a given a bad shooter will ever turn into anything above a subpar average.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Amen Thompson? Never heard of him. Thanks for starting the first thread on him. But, I dunno ... sure, he's a bust. He's had at least a few games to have an NBA career. Cut him now! Nay ... #FireAmen.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Edit: Amen is almost 6'6 so he is just a couple inches shorter than Simmons.

I understand the shooting concerns, I was one of the most skeptical posters here when the Twins first showed up. All the red flags and concerns people are stating now I already said said before.

But at the end of the day you can't teach being 6'7, willingness to scrap, love for bball and extreme athleticism. Even if he doesn't develop a shooting touch, his various gifts will still turn him into a really good player IMO.

#30 roslolian, Dec 28, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    Y2JT likes this.
  11. PWR

PWR Member

Brandin Podziemski will make 1st team All-Rookie over Amen at this point. He was on our radar.

We really could have used a 40% three point shooting rookie guard that has a +/- of +13.4.

Sigh...I hate Golden State.

Believe It!, comrade and DaDakota like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If given the choice GS would take Amen 100 out of 100 times over Pod. Would you trade Cam for Pod, because they were more alike in draft stock?

13. PWR

PWR Member

If GSW had the 4th pick like we did, I'm not so sure they would have taken Amen. I have hope for Amen, I just know we need shooters on this team and Pod would have been the perfect fit behind FVV.

I wouldn't trade Cam for Pod. I think Cam will end up as the 3rd best player on this team behind Sengun and Tari next year.

14. bmelo

bmelo Member

I think you can spot future superstars right away most of the time. Guy isn't even playing that much right now and if he does he is off ball cutter. Tells you everything..... can turn it around? of course. but that's not what I expect from top5 pick

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rumors back then had them moving up to the lottery and/or trading picks and possibly Poole/Kuminga to get vet help. They were probably trying to "win now" with their aging group instead of getting more rookies to train and grow. It's not like Kuminga, Moody, and Wiseman were legendary picks.

PWR likes this.
  16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This post should be deleted. Amen is going to be a Star only flaw he has is shooting. Injuries and sickness held him out of only 10 games…10 games? Are you bored?

jayydela, Y2JT and Hemingway like this.
  17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Based on current performance he almost has to be considering everybody's calling Green a flat out bust and he makes Amen look useless in comparison.

18. Umut

Umut Member

I don't know if it will be a bust, but I think it is a mistake to draft a player who cannot shoot in 2023, his brother cannot shoot either, and their shooting form is also very bad. Ben Simons was a great playmaker in the open field, a man who did everything very well except shooting, but as I said, we are in 2023, not 1990

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

we are spoiled by the rapid development of a few of our guys and then misled by whatever is going in with Green.

The floor on Thompson is much much higher than Green. Even if he never learns to shoot he will do multiple things on a basketball court well. Even if he is never a starting point card. There are multiple templates where he can be successful outside of that position.

I think that if he were getting 25 minutes, he would be racking up quite a few stats, and we would be looking at things differently.

Y2JT and kubli9 like this.
  20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member