1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Amen Thompson A Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 28, 2023.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sengun was an 18 yr old Euro/Turkish league (Besiktas his team is part of Euroleague) MVP. That's pretty unique. Even before coming into the league he already showed he was unique since he won the MVP just two years into his pro career and he played in a grown men's league.

Scottie Barnes was the guy I would have taken in the draft (trade down and get Barnes and someone else was my ideal play) since he reminded me so much of Giannis but nobody said and claimed he was a unicorn.

Nook likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

The people pining for Black now we got Amen is funny as crap, similar to everyone who was pining for Keegan Murray after we drafted Jabari Smith. Remember that? Everybody who talked so much **** about Jabari last year just conveniently forgets everything they said. That's why y'all aren't the GM youd trade the better prospects for the worse one.

Amen, Ausar and Anthony are all very similar prospects with similar strengths and weaknesses and all were taken consecutively as well. At this point it's like choosing between Coke, Pepsi and Dr Pepper. So to be honest I don't think it matters who you picked cuz nobody can say who will be the best one among the 3, and IMO at this stage given how they are all extremely talented it just depends on intangibles and mindset already and that's not something you can gauge prior to the draft like Zion was doing 5 am workouts in college look at him now.

What we do know is based on combine results Amen was the most athletic of the 3 and has better playmakign ability over Ausar, that's a good way to pick as any.

TriumVirate, RedIsen, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's possible for it to be simultaneously true that both:

1) it's far too early to say, and

2) what we've seen so far has done nothing to dispel the doubts about his ability to impact the game offensively due to his lack of shooting.

Like, his reluctance to shoot is noticeable even to a casual observer

4. SamFisher

Keegan Murray had a horrible November but was on fire for most of December - he's a better pure shooter than anyone we have.

I'd gladly take him over Amen Thompson, maybe Smith too. It's definitely close.

"Funny as crap" is the guy who said Wembanyama was Bol Bol or Thon Maker.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. MystikArkitect

Scottie is the biggest reason FVV wanted out. Nurse probably as well. Now OG is gone and Siakam soon to follow. He's an unserious basketball player.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah funny as crap is the guy who said watching Wemby was a multi generational treat and already better than Embiid before he even played his first NBA game.

Also I never said Wemby is Bolbol or Thon Maker that's just you lying and exaggerating. OTH I didn't need to exagerate or lie about how much you sucked Wemby dick before he even played his first game. Multigenrational but won't even be the best rookie in his class? Better than Embiid, really? It's mind boggling you even bring that up like you got a leg to stand on.

#286 roslolian, Jan 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    Arnel likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

For an unserious player he won ROY and pretty much drastically improved every stat from his rookie year in identical mpg.

15/ 7/3 30% 3 pt 55% TS
    21/9/5 38% 3 pt 58% TS

Fvv was also seen being very buddy buddy with Jalen in the off-season and you know Jalen is always smiling and goofing around. He had that viral video dry humping Josh Christopher so I don't think people also call Jalen a serious bball player.

#287 roslolian, Jan 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I've never read that FVV "wanted out." We just paid him way more than Toronto was willing to offer.

#288 Houston77, Jan 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  9. MystikArkitect

It was widely known that Fred didn't get along with or like Scottie. At least amongst Raptors fans. There's a video on YT of Scottie goofing off during pregame that shows FVV visibly irked with him. According to Raps fandom it was known that the two just didn't mesh. FVV moved on from the Raps like Dillon did with the Grizz. He didn't want to be there anymore and you can see why. Unserious basketball team with Gradey Dick and Scottie Barnes on it.

Nook likes this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Portland? I mean, I guess it's kind of close to Canada, but it's not so close to Toronto.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you that Amen Thompson is cut differently- but driving to the basket and finishing hasn’t been a problem. In fact he is shooting nearly 80% from the floor within three feet of the basket. He has had no issue driving into the paint and finishing. Overall he is shooting like 54-55% on two point attempts. Where he has struggled has been from 3, where he is Kelvin Cato bad so far. All isn’t lost yet though, he has actually shot well on long two point shots so far.

Defensively, I agree with you - he is improving and will be very good in time.

He is a good enough passer for being a rookie, has a solid AST/TO ratio, good at rebounds and blocks and steals.

If he improves his shooting, even if if it’s the dreaded long two’s; the world can be his oyster. With his ELITE athleticism and size, he can score well with more predictable shooting.

dobro1229 and glimmertwins like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

He didn’t want to be in Toronto with Barnes. The Raptors smartly wanted to increase the role and stature of Barnes - and FVV wanted no part of that. The older players complained about Barnes intensity and the younger guys wanted FVV to have a reduced role so they could get more shots and a bigger role.

13. SamFisher

You're right, I'm mistaken , you're... this guy:

Before going on to say that he was..

.." Emoni Bates"

Sorry to have disturbed you :cool:

Arnel likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Amen over Wemby huh

[​IMG]

Arnel likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Both Amen and Wemby are unknowns still better than to say Wemby is better than the freaking MVP before Wemby even played a real NBA game.

You quoted the Amen post but didnt quote the Bates post cuz clearly I didn't say he was Emoni Bates I said he COULD be a bust like Emoni Bates. Nobody knows what will happen in the future Wemby can end his season tom and be injury prone like Greg Oden. That's way different than saying Wemby is already better than Embiid lol.

Clearly you still haven't realized how delulu you are.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I still prefer Amen over Wemby. Guys over 7'3 don't have a long track record of health in the NBA.

I also said before I prefer Ja Morant and RJ Barrett over Zion. People also scoffed at that look at the 3 of them now.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The shooting at the basket stat surprises me - I was going off of anecdotal observation-it seems like he has a lot of those “losing the ball/getting swatted or fouled/falling down” plays near the hoop but I guess those wouldn’t be misses exactly but would show up in a variety of stats - fouls, TOs, lost balls that go off of players out of bounds, balls recovered by a teammate, etc. I guess they aren’t misses so much as missed opportunities to put up a legit shot attempt…and really a lot of that is what similarly hampers Jalen Green where their handles can’t keep up with their speed and they are trying to recover control of the ball on the way to the hoop and there are these out of control plays that result. I want both of those guys dribbling all summer - dribbling to the fridge, dribbling to the club, to the bathroom, in the grocery store, etc. I feel like teams know you can impact both of those guys effectiveness in the paint dramatically just by attempting to dig on their drives at the nail.

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Haha oops. That's what i get for posting having run trade simulations.

Williamson likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Huh?

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Did u simply not read the very post above mine?