1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is a "player's coach" the right fit for this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dave_78, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I know Rick Adelman is constantly referred to as a "player's coach." All his players seem to like him and even malcontents like Bonzi who have clashed with coaches everywhere else they go seem to get along with him.

Is that going to pose a problem for this team? We have already seen this squad come out and sleepwalk through several games early in the season. This did not happen often under JVG and when it did you saw the team snap back to being a very disciplined, hard working team the next game. Adelman's more laid back approach might work well on a team of driven, vocal veterans but is it the right fit when the best guy on the team is known to coast when he is not constantly challenged by the coaching staff? Some of our role players are just as bad if not worse whether it be a inconsistent lack of effort from game to game, a tendency to hog the ball or even guys who have poor practice habits. We have all of those types on our active rotation.

I think the jury is out on whether or not Rick can get the best out of this group but I see some early problems with intensity and consistency that need to be corrected if they want to get in the playoffs and past the first round.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes it is the right fit, it will just take time for the players to break the habit of looking over to the bench for guidance.

Once they have some success their confidence will grow and they will be better in the end because of it.

DD

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

The team sleepwalked a lot with JVG. Why do you think he constantly criticized the team of energy and passion?

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Really? This is the new dead horse you are going to beat? That JVG was too much of a leader?

5. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Not leader, facilitator.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Funny how a guy can get blamed for the performance of a team that he is not coaching.

But anyh0ow, I think Rick is the right fit. His overall record speaks for itself. To say that the first 17 games of the season means he doesn't fit is way too premature. The Rockets are above .500 playing one of the toughest schedules-- or maybe the toughest schedule-- in the league. There are some inconsistencies, but I'd bet even Rick's good teams in SAC and Portland had those inconstent stretches.

Also, let's remember what the Rockets record was after the first 17 games of the Tracy McGrady era and how some people thought McGrady wasn't the right fit becaue of that.

Give it time, if history is any guide, things will work out as the season goes on.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Nice post.

I know he did well (very well) in Portland but he had some very good vets there. Sacramento obviously did well and probably should have a Championship but I am less certain about the attitude of individual players there. I know Divac and Webber have never struck me as hard workers. Christie and Bibby seemed pretty committed to work hard but I can't really remember.

I thought it was worth posting considering this team has guys who have checkered pasts when it comes to staying focused.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, over time, more and more choice and ...responsibility goes to the players, especially the stars, with this kind of coach. Over time, that makes or breaks guys. It's a net positive with your stars, in that it makes them more prepared to "take over" when that is necessary. Every champion has a superstar that will just take it into the teeth of the double team and score anyway. Your stars have to have the authority ,practice, and confidence from repeated success, to be able to do that.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I guess that's why most of his players claimed he was the best coach they have ever had?

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think his criticism was a way of preventative maintenance. He knew players tend to relax so when he saw the faintest hint of it he made sure to address it.

11. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Well, the players themselves have to have it in them. The coach can give some push, but in the end it has to start from the players.

For one thing, I think the initiative Yao took on the plane with Tmac is a good sign that the players (as a whole) have it.

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He's gotten more production out of the players than JVG and there are still over 60 games left for his system to take over. He has only a small part of it implemented so far.

He has gotten more production out of Bonzi and Steve. He can get Yao to play 40 minutes/game. T-mac's FG% is at the highest level it's ever been during any season under JVG.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL - what? Put down the pipe kid.

If we are judging on the results thus far, JVG had a much less talented team and took it to 53 wins and the 4th seed last year. This year we are not exactly on that pace.

And you've got to be freaking kidding me that Rick has "gotten more production out of Steve" - Rick gave him the Super Bowl Treatment for about 14 games.

about the only thing you can argue is that Rick, briefly, got more out of Bonzi for a couple of games- who quit on the Rockets before he got here last year, and who has since reverted to suckiness.

Pretty much everybody else - Rick has gotten about hte same out of - or significantly less. Do you recall Yao pre-injury last year? He was a monster. This year he has incorporated a lot more aw shucks into his game. Do you recall Mike James 2005? Hell, Jeff even got more out of Rafe-daddy, who he played to death.

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

^THIS^

Give it some time, people..

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very good question/thread. Taken by themselves, the first 17 games don't look promising but it's too early to make a determination. You never know what kind of effort is going to be given by the players. On this road trip, we've seen two good efforts and one stinker. After the Golden State debacle, I expect the Rockets to come out with some fire in their eyes tonight.

The real test is going to come later in the season when some kind of adversity hits. Right now you can blame all problems on the newness of the coach, his system and several players. When that excuse no longer applies, I want to see how Adelman and the players react. Who will take charge and set the example for other to follow? Will this "players coach" be able to right the ship in a timely fashion? My guess is yes.