1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is a J Green and J Ivey backcourt feasible?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peleincubus, Mar 25, 2022.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jaden Ivy and Green are a match made in heaven. Yeah you do have a lot of glut you now need to get rid off but at the end of the day draft is the place to get the best player available. If the Rox get no 4 you are choosing between Banchero and Ivey. Banchero homself is not a good fit for this team unless you are getting rid of Sengun, so why not get Ivey who does whst Banchero does but better? As much ss it would suck, trsde KPJ and the rest of the gusrds for a good PF.

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  2. BonziWellsGOAT

I hope everyone realizes that in the Ivey scenario we are assuming they pick up one of Kessler or Williams. Its not a no big situation. I also dont think anyone is saying to pick him unless we get number 4.

r-fan-since-81 and vator like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

who is going top 3 if pick 4 is between Ivey and Banchero?

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right I should have put pick 3 since pick 4 the choice is a default who is left.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Ivey is still there when the Nets pick comes up, I support taking him for the bench. Other than that, I don't see why the name even comes up at all.

mikenm268 likes this.
  6. vator

vator Contributing Member

His name comes up because he is one of the few guys that projects as a star talent in this draft. Especially once you get to pick 4. Some people advocate drafting for fit and that’s understandable, but I’m on some best player available energy. Who is the next big in this draft that would move the needle and be worthy of going at 4 or 5? We won 20 games out of 82. Nobody’s job is safe.

If I thought Shaedon Sharpe was best player available, I’d say draft him too even though he plays Green’s position. Put him at SF. We need another star even if there is some overlap. We can build around those guys, pump the value and flip one for a piece that we think fits better like Indiana and Sac did with Sabonis and Haliburton. Sharpe at SF has to be better than Gary Mathews or Tate.

Accumulate high end talent if you can’t get high end talent AND fit. This rebuild is still in stage 1. We still have the BKN pick to add size and free agency money.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would see that as drafting a guy who would end up buried on the bench with a premium pick. The last thing the Rockets needs is even more guards unless the goal is to tank next year too.

8. vator

Ivey starts and KPJ is starting at SF instead of Gary Mathews. A Mark Williams type player at center and a Tari Eason type at PF.

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  9. vator

Honestly the next 2 guys on most boards right now before workouts are Ivey and Sharpe. Either way, we’re running a 3 guard lineup next year if they draft one of those guys. The difference is KPJ is defending a different position and is either listed as the PG or the SF. All subject to change obviously, but that 4th or 5th pick will be very interesting to say the least.

10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Not exactly, we have to draft best available with both picks. If the best picks are Ivey and another guard or wing with the Brooklyn picks, that’s what we do.

This team is a year or two away from even considering drafting for need. We need the most talent available, then that talent can be moved in a trade to balance the roster when necessary.

vator likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just think that's too small and there's too little defense.

Adding a 6'4 shooting guard doesn't really help either side of the ball honestly.

I'm not saying pick fit over talent, but when the fit is absolutely terrible and there are other options of similar talent, I just don't see why the Rockets would even consider it for even a second.

Sure you can move KPJ and have him running the point at the 3 in order to play 2 guys at the 2....but why? The Rockets need bigs, they already have guards for days.

vator likes this.
  12. vator

BKN pick is different for me. If we are forced to draft Ivey or Sharpe they almost have to go with a big wing or a big that can protect the paint in my opinion. For a couple reasons. Talent around 16 should be more leveled out which makes drafting for need much easier. You have 2 guys that you have rated about the same, you draft the guy that fits a need more. The other reason is if you add Ivey or Sharpe to KPJ, Green, and Christopher there is no more room for developmental minutes. Gary Mathews and Nix project to still be here as well.

13. BonziWellsGOAT

I agree but Ivey i think would be best available at 4. I also believe Williams and Kessler will be best available or close enough in the bk pick range. I think the bk pick will be a fit and best available if its a big imo. There are a lot of quality bigs to be had this draft.

groovemachine and vator like this.
  14. vator

I know you aren’t as high on Ivey as I am. He had a really bad final game, but so do a lot guys when they get bounced from the tournament. Some of his weaknesses that I’ve been talking about for months were exposed so no shocker to me. I do think he is going to be fine at PG.

Anyways…who do you think we should reach on at 4 then? Since Ivey is not your guy. Not saying there aren’t guys that won’t be rotational players, but I’m trying to hit on a star with a top 5 pick. A lot of these other guys just look like role players to me.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's not really a traditional PG though, he's just a SG with potential to be a combo guard who is a bit short to play the 2. I'm not saying he won't be fine, He's super quick and athletic....but that makes him redundant on a Rockets squad that is full of athletic guards.

As to what I'd do if the Rockets get the 4th pick, I personally think someone else goes Ivey over one of the bigs and there's always AJ Griffin or alen Duren sitting there. I just want the pick to improve the team.

vator likes this.
  16. vator

I just really don’t like Griffin man. That was the hot name for so long, but I’m not impressed. I so want to be, but he looks hella average out there most nights. I know he’s young and coming off injuries, but he scares me at 4. Perspective wise I’d be ecstatic drafting him a little further down, but there are some guys I think have a little more potential, but are risky to reach for at 4.

I want to see Duren’s official measurements. He doesn’t look 6’11 to me. He’s a physical specimen though, but sooo raw.

groovemachine and Bobbythegreat like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's all valid, and hopefully the Rockets win the lottery and pick #1 making this whole discussion moot.

I think for me I still like Griffin due to his shooting ability and I agree that Duren is raw but I look at the athleticism and the 7'5 wingspan and think Sengun would make him look amazing while Duren would add rim defense and some needed rebounding.

vator likes this.
  18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I agree about being scared off by griffin's injuries. but duke's system might have limited his dribble creation and his recovery might've limited how athletic he looked. he could prove to have more athleticism and more offensive skills during the pre-draft process. if so, he could push closer to Ivey. I'm also not really excited about drafting a rim-running center at #4. I'm hoping for more star potential than a capela archetype.

I would draft the best player available, even if it causes a logjam or creates an awkward fit in a lineup. we just need talent and there's only one way to get it. things will change a lot before draft night but as of right now I think a rough consensus from many draft experts is:

group 1
    chet
    banchero
    jabari
    ivey (although sometimes in group 2)

group 2
    Sharpe (sometimes in a separate group with ivey)
    griffin (sometimes in a separate group with ivey)
    murray

group 3
    mathurin
    duren
    davis
    eason
    daniels

if we're at #4 and ivey is there, and he proved to be a tier above Sharpe and griffin then you have to take him and figure it out later. if he proves to be on the same tier with Sharpe and griffin, meaning you can pick any of them without sacrificing talent, then you could pick best fit which is griffin. however as I said his injuries are a red flag for me and Sharpe is basically unproven out of high school which is also worrisome because there's lack of data on him. if hardy didn't play a game this year we'd be considering him as a top 5 pick too. not getting to see Sharpe play against better competition is a risk. so I'd probably draft ivey anyway.

now at #5, I really hate this spot and would (almost) consider trading out. do we roll the dice on griffin's durability? sharpe's urproveness? Murray who is almost 3 years older than them? reach for a lesser tier player? I would just hope through the draft process that griffin's medicals all look good, and/or Sharpe proves he's worthy during workouts and interviews.

vator likes this.
  19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Fair points, I agree if they are rated the same you take the big, but if there’s a pg or wing rated higher than the bigs in question we should draft best available.

Williams at 16 would be great, I’m not sold on Kessler at the pick tho. I think he’ll be available in the 18-22 range.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  20. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah tbf I havent checked his draft stock after Auburns poor showing so im not sure how it affected him

groovemachine likes this.