1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is a J Green and J Ivey backcourt feasible?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peleincubus, Mar 25, 2022.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Does this potential draft pick translate to a dominating backcourt for the Rockets?

Last question. Would it be fun to watch an aging and slowing backcourt of Klay Thompson and Steph Curry play this backcourt in 3 years?

burlesk likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Jade Green Ivey backcourt will lay the Groundwork for the Future Amazing Triumphs

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

As PB said…
    “Get rid of KPJ!” “KPJ sucks!” “KPJ ain’t a PG!” “We need a real PG!”

“Draft Ivey!”

So…another combo guard?

Beyoncé may have Blue Ivy but the Rockets will have Green Ivey!

4. Nook

Nook Member

KPJ does suck, and he is a douche bag.

Jaden Ivey is a FAR better player and talent.

It's fair for someone to question his ability as a creator for others..... but I would point out that there are a lot of reasons for that beyond his control.

5. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

It depends on how the Rockets plan on building the team.
    IMO it's a feasible lineup if Sengun is in the starting 5 and serves as a playmaker. They would feast from cuts with Alp passing to them from the high post. It's an interesting scenario and I wouldn't mind if we went in that direction, if there are no better options. But that would mean moving KPJ, EG, and Wood ASAP, preferably getting back a good defensive back up PF/C and a wing prospect in return, and I'm not confident that the Rockets will go in that direction.

maw7079_2000 likes this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

anything is feasible if the players are good at basketball

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I am all for drafting the bpa and worry about the fit later. Imagining being the Mavs with the potential to draft another Doncic - it would be a horrible fit since Doncic is just about the most ball dominant player that gets a lot worse without the ball in his hands. You still draft Doncic. If you can‘t make it work you trade him.

And I don‘t even think a Ivey/Green backcourt would be that bad. Green isn‘t ball dominant (yet). He should be a great off the ball player… I am still hoping for Jabari Smith though…

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ivey is 100x times better though

Deckard, hakeem94, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  9. vator

vator Contributing Member

How could two dynamic and unselfish players not be a good fit together?

They both excel with the ball in their hands but have shown a willingness to play off the ball when needed. Neither has a great handle right now, but good luck staying in front of either of them. Green can get to the basket at will, his problem is navigating through the trees or where to best get his shot off from once he gets around his man. Ivey's dribbling and passing seem a little ahead of Green's who has shown the ability to facilitate in a lower usage role and maintain a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio the past 2 months despite this not currently being a large part of his game yet.

So much growth potential here. I just watched Devin Booker go off for 49 points and 10 assists last night with CP3 back in the lineup. Paul had 17 points and 13 assists. Just imagine the amount of rim pressure you get from these two guys and the number of open shots they would create for their teammates.

Defensively, Green is already showing that with his speed and quickness, he is very good at harassing smaller point guards and even when beaten, his closing speed and ability to get back in the play are really good. He fights over screens and is surprisingly physical. Ivey has a 6'10 wingspan and NBA body already which will allow him to guard shooting guards. I expect Green to gain 10 pounds of muscle eventually which will make him even more switchable defensively and even more explosive offensively as he will be stronger and better able to absorb contact and get to his spots.

#9 vator, Mar 25, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nix is better than Ivey.

DD

Cutty312 likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

madbomber, Stephen_A, Ekiu and 2 others like this.
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Quoted for posterity.

jboslett, topfive, Caesar and 9 others like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well it's true.

DD

Cutty312 likes this.
  14. Houston77

Supporting Member

It’s true because you say it is? I’m not even sure there is a name for this type of fallacy.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

ivey/green would be a great backcourt to watch. KPJ can't even compare to ivey. Ivey is just a better player all around and easily a better prospect

Nix absolutely sucks. He is no where near the realm of Ivey. He would be holding Ivey's bags to the team bus and locker room. Nix belongs in the G-league or overseas

#15 YOLO, Mar 25, 2022
    Reeko and SamFisher like this.
  16. vator

vator Contributing Member

As a Nix fan and conductor on the hype train, I will say I think Nix is a better passer and is more of a pure pass-first point guard. That's all I got. I'm not certain he's a better shooter due to sample size. Those areas cover Ivey's perceived weaknesses coming into this draft.

Nix is probably a better ball handler, but when you have Ivey's athleticism, you don't need to have the ball on a string to get to where you want to go. We see that with Jalen Green all the time. He is nowhere near the ballhandler that Kevin Porter is, but his ability to get to his spots and attack defenses off the dribble far exceeds what Porter typically does in the game. Westbrook is a guy with mediocre ball-handling, but his first step was so devastating that he didn't ever need to develop Kyrie, Steph, or CP3 handles. Ivey is almost that kind of athlete. His handle doesn't have to be great, it just has to be adequate enough to get a step.

#16 vator, Mar 25, 2022
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Problem solved; hopefully the Rockets can package Nix and salary then to acquire Ivey at some point.

18. Houston77

Supporting Member

Ivey and a FRP for Thicc Nix.

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wouldn't a Green/Ivey backcourt be a really really really good version of Mobley/Francis? If so I might finally have a reason to update my screenname:

JaldenalpTBDTBD

tmoney1101 likes this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

Okay, now I definitely think we should draft Ivey #1 overall