1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is Şengün good or rockets are bad that we want rookies seems good?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by berkowsk, Oct 16, 2021.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nothing in life is a guarantee. But look around the league the best players are top lotto picks so the chances of getting a ring via tanking for high lotto picks is greater than getting low end rookies for "development".

Who are the franchise players in the league today? Lebron, KD, AD, Steph, Harden, Irving, Embiid, Luka etc outside a couple of exception the overwhelming majority are top 10 lotto picks right?

Guys like Giannis or Kawhi are pretty rare. Yeah we could tank for years and never win, but the chance is still higher than not tanking and getting low FRPs.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

What are you talking about? Rox made the playoffs consistently in the post YaoMac era hence why they always got the 15th pick.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. fattz

fattz Member

We won’t win but we are not a bad team. We have hope and promise in more than one player. We just need to see growth and development EVERY GAME. In time, we will be a championship team, just not tomorrow or the next day. If we get better daily then something happens (trade, new coach) the TEAM will take off. Adding more rookies is not the answer, IMO.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no mention of FT rate? its weird because his FT rate is ELITE,
    its hardenesque and perhaps stands out the most!

Nook likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS!
    Just surround Sengun with the shooters and were god to go!
    [​IMG]
    @D-rock

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Jokic?
    Draymond
    isaah thomas
    Jimmy Butler
    damian Lillard
    Gobert
    lololol

just a few from the top of my head...
    in fact lebron and harden like players are as rare as the franchise players drafted outside top picks

besides Luka and embiied also didnt won nothing and john wall is the franchise as well

here me out:
    2 of the last 3 titles won by pick no 15 -kawhi and yanis...
    3 of the last 3 MVPs won by pick no 15 and 40 - 2 x yanis and 1 x Jokic

its the new age theres no excuse to tanking

1. analytics also improved and its easier to unearth the diamonds

2. particularly because basketball spread around the world and draft is richer than ever so its understandable you can win with pick no 40 as your franchise, in 80s talent pool was not so wide, not even close

3. its just like 3 pt shootin in 80s, 3pt shot was a prayer, today logo shot is a good shot if its lillard or curry taking it

so, for stone the magnificient b*stard, picking in teens is as good of a shot as picking in the lotery as witnessed by the recent acquisition of sengun at 16. Not only did he stole him in the daylight in front of all the 30 gms, but maneuvered so brilliantly to use the master drafter himself, the great Presti of OKC, to help him grab Sengun.....lolololol!!!! that was something else my son!

jch1911, cmoak1982 and berkowsk like this.
  8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I think you got the timing mixed-up a bit. The Rockets were perennial 9th seeds post McGrady/Yao, so they got the 14th pick in consecutive seasons. It wasn't until Harden's arrival that the Rockets immediately took off.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, I mean a lot more depends on the GM, Front Office, and organizational culture than draft position.

The 2019 Toronto Raptors title team was as if assembled to prove the point that Morey sucks and Masaj doesn't.
    1. Kawhi Lennard: passed-on for Marcus Morris
    2. Kyle Lowry: traded for the Steven Adams pick
    3. Mark Gasol: derogatorily named "man-boobs" by Morey and his pre-draft crew...

Some GMs can build a title team, others can't. Draft position is less of a factor...

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

create the good culture and players will flock to play for your team

jch1911 likes this.
  12. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

Do you think can Houston help rookies and seniors( i mean KPJ) offcourt? Like financial advises, life quality etc . Rockets has a bad name about this subject recent years. Organisation was thinking they are pros let them be themselves they would find a way to improve.

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

yes. you can go,a long way if you treat players as humans instead of corporate bond assets. High EQ and good interpersonal skills at the top can go a long way.

berkowsk and hakeem94 like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

rockets should hire @D-rock and surround rookies with him and Dr. Lucas to help them find their way in NBA

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I like your efficiency. You should be a gm and save a lot of teams money. 3 preseason games evaluating 19 year olds and you already can tell who is and isn't going to be a star. Not even a regular season game needed. That's some god damn talent. You wasting that talent on a message board my guy.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Just like we can't say much about the future potential of Green from a poor preseason showing we can't say much about Sengun from a good showing. Like those ftr numbers for a 4 game preseason sample size doesn't say anything. God know how the refs will call Sengun in a real game.

Sample sizes are just way too small.

Clutchfans general mood now seems to be severely tempering expectations for Green and highly inflating hype for Sengun and just based on a few preseason games.

No one should have the slightest clue how either rookies will perform this season based off the sample glimpses we've seen of them.

Right now people are just clinging on to absolutely anything to satisfy their preconceived choices before the draft.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

While this is true, it's to be expected. Sengun gave reason to be excited about his potential, Green....not so much.

I think that's due to Sengun being about a million miles ahead of Green when it comes to the mental parts of the game, Give Green a bit of time to catch up and perhaps we'll be telling a different story.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think we all need to be patient with Green. Asking him to start showing us Harden-esque or Kobe-esque production right off the bat is unrealistic.

First career start for the following shooting guards:

Zach Lavine:
    2/5 FG 2/2 FT; 4 points, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block

Bradley Beal:
    2/8 FG 2/4 3PT 2/2 FT; 8 points, 3 assists, 1 steal

Klay Thompson:
    1/3 FG 1/3 3PT; 3 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists

Paul George:
    2/8 FG 4/6 FT; 8 points, 4 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block

Victor Oladiop
    5/12 FG 2/5 3PT 8/8 FT; 20 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 5 steals, 2 blocks

CJ McCollum (didn't start until the end of his second season)
    6/12 FG 1/2 3PT 2/3 FT; 15 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal

Anthony Edwards
    5/13 FG 3/7 3PT 2/2 FT; 15 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists

Outside of Oladipo's performance, these guys had a very ho hum debut as a starter. Keep in mind that most of these guys didn't even get to be named as a starter in their rookie season from the start of the season. We'll just have to be patient and hope that Jalen continues to work on his game throughout the season.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

basically i agree with you ...but see the context basically i was saying if youre hyping him at least do that the right way....
    btw

the first time i saw durant westbrook and harden play i knew they were jordanesque...same goes for sengun...it doesnt mean hell have a great nba career, but he knows how to play...i would like to have such a teammate when i go to street to play...you dont need chemistry and nothing... insert him in any contender now and they wont suffer because of his production...and the hell get them plenty no way around it .....these are legit fouls hes got in europe, summer league and the preseason at a constant rate .. its no bs baiting defender into fouls the stuff nba refs hesitate to call ...these are the fouls hed get in streetball as well... the legit fouls...

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Using your list:

harden, not on team that drafted him — hasn’t won a ring
    Lebron, not on team that drafted him — left before winning a ring
    Ad, not on team that drafted him — left before winning a ring
    Irving, not on team that drafted him, bounced after Lebron helped him win a ring.
    Embiid, hasn’t won a ring and has had NUMMMMEROUS tank years
    Luka, still young but thus far hasn’t won anything or advanced in playoffs and he is arguable one of the best up and coming players in the league today.

What good is it to have high draft picks if you can’t win before they’re ready to bounce anyways?

Nemospl and hakeem94 like this.