1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is Şengün good or rockets are bad that we want rookies seems good?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by berkowsk, Oct 16, 2021.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

Is White KD one of these? Should I be getting on that bandwagon?
    Asking for a friend

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

If that was the case he would have been the consensus No.1 pick. Every real scouting on Green had Beal and Lavine as who he can potentially be.

I have only seen MJ and Kobe comparisons by randoms on Twitter and maybe a couple people on Clutchfans.

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol pro tanking pople always forget the OKC case... zero rings and everything went perfectly for them drafting wise.....lolololol
    seems like basketball gods sending a message

don grahamleone and burlesk like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

2nd overall is not chickenshit either.

MJ, Kobe, Barkley, Malone, Durant, Harden, Kawhi, Luka, Giannis were all picked AFTER 1st overall.

don grahamleone, burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  5. corrado

corrado Member

At Green's age Kobe was inefficient chucker of the bench while MJ was still in school. Give kid some time

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

He can have all the time he wants.

But until he gets stronger, he needs to come off the bench against opposing teams 2nd units.

NewAge and burlesk like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not sure if rockets would do it... they could suffer a massive marketing setback

NewAge and burlesk like this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Not just skills... mj +kobe+harden = 6'11 to 7 wingspan. It helped them keep the ball low to the ground while dribbling. Helps with their ball handling. It also helps them defend. Those inches make a diff! It is the diff between hitting the ball or hitting the other players hand for a foul. When it comes to dunking... it also helps with the reach toward the basket. Rodman had a rediculous 7'2 wing span that helped him rebound.
    Green's shooting mechanics are also off. Which can possibly be fixed but it's going to be like relearning how to walk. At this point that is his only hope to make it into super stardom. To be a highly efficient off ball player. Instead of trying to be kobe he needs to look at Klay Thompson. There is a reason why you see klay going around screens to get wide open for a shot instead of alot of ISOs. He's not a ball handler like James Harden is.
    Again we'll be extremely lucky if this kid is as good as Lavine.

NewAge, burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great advice, although patience can be incredibly difficult, especially when Houston was not only relevant, but considered by many to be a contending team for a stretch of years until Harden left. As for tanking? Tanking got us Ralph Sampson and Akeem Olajuwon in back to back drafts. We were so "good" at it, and so lucky with a coin toss, that the league changed the rules.

Having said that, we were very lucky to end up with the 2nd pick in this year's draft. Maybe the kid deserves some time to develop. I guess in a digital world, where you don't have to spend time in a darkroom, instant gratification is constantly at war with patience.

don grahamleone and RudyTBag like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Minnesota and pelicans had many great rookies truout history... cant even get to playoffs once in a decade...patience didnt help them

Patience is uncalled for when almost no player playing for the rockets improved his 3pt % or even FT % in the last decade lolololol

11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

That isn't how life works friend. You don't get a pass for being a dumb ass. Thank God your parents eliminated polio with vaccines, because if they didn't, your genes wouldn't have lasted this long lol.

It's too bad we can't stop dumb people from breeding.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Are thee any mods left on this forum? This is getting pathetic at this point. Spreading dangerous information should be illegal in a Rockets forum.

Do we actually have mods anymore or has clutch truly mailed it?

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Exactly. We are right where we wanna be.

Be bad and tank, a bunch of 19/20 yr olds aint gonna do **** might as well load up on more talent while everyone is still figuring things out.

luckyman76 likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Did you forget the 8th seed Rox? The basketball gods sent a message for like 5 straight years.

I'd rather watch KD, Harden, WB make the finals and not win a ring than watch Shane Battier, Chuck Hayes and Aaron Brooks get 8th seed in the playoffs and get swept.

juanming likes this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The ironic thing is that we couldn't even make the 8th seed. We were on that 9th seed treadmill until we lucked out on Harden.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have we played a real game yet?

Didn't think so.

17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I just want to know if he is "starting" material. May need another thread to discuss this though.

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

There are a plethora of teams that were 12-15th seed for 5 years in a row and are still there to this day. High draft picks is really no more of a guarantee than trying to compete and develop guys.

I think coaching, particularly on the developmental side has lagged in the last several years. I mean at one point we had some ex player who played like 7-8 years on the bench as our development coach. We need to invest in better coaching — and that is not a knock on Silas, truthfully. Head coach is a game management and system guy. He can help develop IQ but actually player development (shooting, dribbling, finishing, footwork, etc) comes from the rest of the coaching staff.

we and every team in the league should always be trying to win max games with their roster otherwise the competitiveness of the league suffers miserably and fans revolt. There’s a reason ranking/deliberately losing is against league rule and finable.

Sitting Wall an entire year is in essence deliberate tanking. It’s not like a Melo Situation where you’re not sure he belongs in the league still. He is still a good player and unless it’s temporary resting to ensure he doesn’t get injured while seeking trade partner, I don’t think it’s good for the league to allow Rockets to rest Wall an entire year.

We could “tank” for years and still never develop and win. And i have no interest in watching a team barely even try in an effort to game the system and write the future.
    /rant

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't totally disagree with you, but I also think you are lacking a lot of context. For instance - his shooting mechanics aren't off - they are inconsistent. That's why his in game form is changes from shot to shot but most of his practice or FT reps looks much better. He's just got to work at becoming more consistent with his form - and that's a fairly common focus point for players of his age.

I agree that he doesn't have Harden handles either, but I don't think Jaylen is near as bad a ball handler as Klay was earlier in his career when defenses knew you had a decent chance at a turnover if you could just get him to put the ball on the floor. Worth noting Green's speed and quickness are miles ahead of both Klay and James so while he definitely has stuff to work on it, he also is way ahead of those guys in other areas at this stage in his career. I get the Lavine comps as a floor for Green, but it's worth noting that most scouts had Green as a significantly better player entering the league than Lavine at the same age.

Jumping back to your point at having Green get better at working off ball - I think he still lacks quite a bit of skills using screens properly that he will need to improve on if this were to be a way for him to score and it's worth noting that Wood isn't really a great screen setter himself and the rest of the guys aren't great at this either(youth/size) save for Theis who isn't as much of a roll weapon. At this stage of Green's career I think if I had to choose a skill for him to prioritize, it would be ball handling over working off ball. One last point - I ultimately think Green will be an efficient scorer but it might take him a minute to get the strength he needs to be a more consistent finisher - but I have definitely noticed he abide by the 3s and layups model for efficiency most of the time.

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I disagree. His elbow sticks out.

glimmertwins likes this.