1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iranian protesters corner a group of police officers.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Grizzled, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Iranian protesters corner a group of police officers.

Can someone who reads Arabic translate this for the rest of us?
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZ2urTPUGf0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZ2urTPUGf0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  2. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

edit: Most of the Arabic text is on the YouTube page and not in the embedded image.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would be Farsi, not Arabic.

4. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Right, probably. I can’t tell whether it’s Arabic or Farsi but it’s probably Farsi.

5. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

There is a reason why he said it would be Farsi and NOT Arabic. Ignorance is bliss? ;) :p

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Wow, the guy who uploaded that video has another one explaining the blood on the ground. Pretty graphic and sad.

7. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Heres a video of some protesters rescuing two guys from being hanged. The video is a little graphic.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ygi3p4WQpkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ygi3p4WQpkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The story that goes with it can be found here http://rawstory.com/2009/12/protesters-stop-iran-hanging/

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It would be interesting to see if the police will continue to not fire at the demonstrators. There was at least one case shown on the ABC News. When that happened with the Shah, who was a torturer favored by the US, his regime fell very quickly.

It could happen again if the people want it. Any new government would still be opposed to the expansion of Israel and would probably want nuclear weapons to defend against the continuing threats from Israel and the US, but the people would have more freedom.

9. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

the OP's video at the end people are shouting "we willl kill the ones who killed our brothers".

Another video

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qZ19naZVCm4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qZ19naZVCm4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wow, these videos are messed up...I had plans on visiting Iran in March...I have mixed feelings about it.

11. foo82

foo82 Member

As long as you aren't doing anything stupid like protesting about the government or talking bad about the government, you will be fine.

12. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Actually, they've researched people entering the country and arrested them for things they wrote months before on their Facebook or Twitter account.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is overblown. Absolutely nothing will happen unless you are the unluckiest human on the face of the earth. I went wearing green by mistake (a huge no-no since it's the protest color), nothing happened. Came back a few days ago.

As long as you stay out of the political stuff, nothing will happen. Also, Tehran is huge. It's life as usual in most places.

14. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Since you've been rather keen to defend the government, I'm not sure that you are the best case to use as an example. Do you have a Facebook page where you've been criticizing Ahmadinejad that we don't know about?

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Man that's nuts.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I hate that ****er and everyone who put him there.

How's that?

I defend Middle Eastern politics when I feel people are doing it just because it's the Middle East and are blind to the realities of politics.

Regardless, I travelled with a whole bunch of Iranians and I obviously dont only hang out with people who have similar political views lol

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Also, I find it highly unusual and offensive that you think I'd send someone into an Iranian political bear trap and effectively end their lives. I didn't know it was like that, but ok.

18. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I never said that you didn't think that people with reformist websites were safe, just that they weren't.

It seemed pretty odd to me that you conflated wearing a green shirt, with having an online history. It still seems pretty odd to me. I mean, the USA has a "no fly list", but that doesn't mean you will be arrested for wearing a Hizballah t-shirt. Furthermore I don't know why one would assume that the fact that you wore a Hizballah shirt means the "no-fly list" doesn't exist, but you seem to believe that there is some consistent logic there, and I don't doubt that you really believe it.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

What you're talking about happened for a short period at least a couple of months ago, looking for protest leaders. There is a list, but if you are on it, you won't wonder if you are.

Also, I may not be arrested, but will be at the mercy of airport security for at least a few hours if I wore a Hizballah t-shirt.

Point is, as with any airport, they will detain you if you if they are suspicious for some reason. That's about it. The Iranian airport, much like any other airport, doesn't have time to check the facebook, youtube and twitter account of everyone who comes into the country to make sure a comment wasn't made.

Think of it this way. If I were to fly to the US and they happened to know that I wanted to murder a Danish cartoonist from a comment I made on a popular mesasge board, then I would be detained on that basis.

Key point: they were detaining people who they had marked beforehand, not just logging into random people's acconts looking for people to detain. The people they had marked were not random people debating about Iran on the internet. So there's no reason to worry unless you are executing a plan aimed at the demise of the Iranian government.

I understand your concern as the articles regarding this matter do make it seem as though the government of Iran is putting away anyone who is even slightly against the government. If that were the case, 50 million Iranians would have to be detained today.

20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The original video apparently was during the time of Ashura....religious time.

translation of the name of the video is - Battle of the tons and tons of people stuck with Special guards - Ashura