1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iran readies to invade Iraq?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rockHEAD, Jun 16, 2004.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

--grain of salt...

-------

Iran massing troops on Iraq border

Beirut, Lebanon, Jun. 15 (UPI) -- Iran reportedly is readying troops to move into Iraq if U.S. troops pull out, leaving a security vacuum.

The Saudi daily Al-Sharq al-Awsat, monitored in Beirut, reports Iran has massed four battalions at the border.

Al-Sharq al-Awsat quoted "reliable Iraqi sources" as saying, "Iran moved part of its regular military forces towards the Iraqi border in the southern sector at a time its military intelligence agents were operating inside Iraqi territory."

-------

2. Cesar^Geronimo

the Iranians saw how quickly the Iraqi military fell -- they would not be that stupid.

3. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

"massed 4 battalions"?

That's about 4,000 troops counting support troops.

I would imagine they already have divisions close to the borders of all surrounding countries!

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Four battalions doesn't amount to much. If this is considered a threat, it shows just how far the Iraqi military has fallen. Oh, wait... I forgot that we disbanded that military. Perhaps four battalions can conquer the country! Most likely would be the Fao area, bitterly fought over during the '80's. I hope they don't make the attempt, as I'm no longer sure what an American response would be from the Administration. Conventional wisdom would argue towards a violent one, but Iran might take the chance in the belief that the US would talk a lot and not take action because of our November elections.

Interesting news, rockHEAD. Probably of no import, but you never know.

#4 Deckard, Jun 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  5. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

I think this may be just the opening we need to take out that nest of vipers over there as well. Iranians, bring it on. We'll see how well you do against our troops.

6. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

We have 130,000+ troops there and we can't keep the peace! What in heck can Iran do with 4,000?

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Turn on your sarcasm detector. ;)
    Mine isn't working very well today, either! :p

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You are truly sick.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Boy, I'll tell u whut. We needs to git dem A-rabbs. Theys all tererests.

[​IMG]

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I remember a time when Iran was close to becoming pro west. Then something happened, like a speech or something that called them evil, and the conservative element there became even stronger.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4,000 of these guys would scare the bejeebers out of me!

12. bamaslammer

Truly sick? You are truly blind or worse, a total idiot. Iranians are massing troops on the borders to invade Iraq and you call me sick? They're not there on the border skipping stones. And whoever it was that made that little stupid sneer about my supposed "racism," I guess you feel we should just let the Iranians take over Iraq, eh? Let the evil Mullahs have control of still more oil, eh? Jeez, you guys are as stupid as screen doors on submarines. Your idiocy amazes me.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

bamma --

i'm not sure it's always what you say..but how you say it. the idea that you would relish war, particularly from afar, against ANOTHER nation in a bravado, "bring it on" (which personally, i like better with a side of Kirsten Dunst) style...i think that's what freaks people out.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You guys need to chill or get the hell out of here. Everyone is tired of the yelling matches. Let it go.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Everyone was quiet, not even asking one another to pass the peas. We ate and swallowed as silently as possible. None of us cried though, because we knew we'd get teased later on, when dad was at work again.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Yeeee haaa lets git em...

17. bamaslammer

Like I said before, they're MASSING troops on the border. They're not there to watch birds or count rocks. They are there to prowl and growl in Iraq and if you don't think that having even more oil under the control of insane Mullahs is not a bad thing, you need to seriously consider having your head examined.

And it is somehow barbaric for me to say that we should go and take care of business? The amount of ignorance here is startling. It is almost taking on a surreal quality. I'm not rah-rahing that we should go to war (again), but damnit, if a fight is what they want, a fight is what we should give them. Anything less would cede Iraq to the Iranians and I really don't want my children dealing with the fallout from a pan-Shiite mega-state run by ignorant clerics who hate my country.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

bama: Somehow, you missed Max's point completely. He wasn't necessarily arguing your ideas, just your methods for conveying them. When you post clearly confrontational stuff and pepper it with "liberal idiots," etc., you not only get tuned out by the majority, you piss off a minority which turns into yelling matches that make this an absolutely horrible place to post.

You aren't alone and neither is your side of the political spectrum, but, as I've said on MANY other occassions, if people cannot chill in this forum and talk like grown adults, this forum will no longer exist.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Then go re-enlist and fight them yourself, with your own money. We just signed an $87 billion bill to fund the war in Iraq. Now you want to spend more money to go into Iran?

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Jeff, did you have time to review the post I reported in the other forum? Here is the link, just in case you might have missed it:

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78780&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I trust that you will look at violations of the code of conduct and criticize them regardless of who committed them.

With regards to the topic at hand, I think it is a reason for concern if they amass troops there. Also, while I would not choose to speak in bamaslammer's tone, I do think that the Mullahs in Iran are probably as bad as or worse than Saddam ever was.

#20 AroundTheWorld, Jun 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2004