1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iPod Nano problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JJ, Aug 6, 2006.

Tags:
  1. JJ

JJ Member

Okay so I am helping my GF set up her 1G Nano, and it tells me that there is 892 MB of capacity on the thing. Should software be taking up 100 MB? The thing is supposed to hold about 240 songs, but we are only getting 195 on it. What could the problem be?? I do not have any memory designated for pictures or data. Any one have any ideas on how I can get those 100 MB back?

Thanks in advance.

2. Pocket Rockets

usually there is memory reserved for the unit i believe...

you never get the full "advertised" amount of space that is listed

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I would suggest not thinking about "amount of songs", but in capacity. When they say "songs", are they saying Symphonies or songs by Linkin Park? ;) Meaning, if you have longer songs, less will fit on your iPod. I know I can fit MANY songs in Spanish against A FEW in English in my iPod, because Mexican bands I have usually make them 2 to 3 minutes, while American artists will make longer songs.

That said, quality of recordings and compression also has something to do with it. If you leave it as the lowest Bit Rate, the songs will be smaller, and more will fit into your iPod. If you compress the least, less songs will fit.
    Again, don't think in terms of "amount of songs." When you go to "about", you will see that more than likely get about 85-90 percent of the capacity, with software taking up some of that 10-15 percent. Pocket is right.

4. JJ

JJ Member

Yeah I understand that. However, does software normally take up 100MB?

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Depends on the software. :D

You know that your hard drive capacity is a lot less than what it states, too, after formatting, right? :)

They're all screwing you over with marketing man! It's the man, I tell you... THE MAN!

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Take it back and trade it in for a Nano with a bigger flashdrive. (or whatever you'd call the thing) I got my wife a 2 GB Nano, and the damned thing is filled up. I wish I'd bought the 4 GB model, instead. It's a bummer to have to edit the content due to space. I'm certainly spoiled with my iPod's 60 GB hard drive. I have huge amounts of space left, and I keep putting stuff on it. Still, gotta love the compact Nano, which is far easier to carry around.

7. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

how many songs do you guys actually listen at one time?
    my 1 gig is usually more than enough for an outing, shopping at the mall, working out, etc. and its usually 3 albums that i repeat back and forth anyway.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I listen to one song at a time, lol! ;)

9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

have you "secretly by accident" downloaded any p*rn at all on the thing?