1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[iPhone 5] Question About Backup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, May 20, 2013.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

So a few minutes ago I decided to clean out my Camera Roll. I proably had about 200 or so pics in there thanks to my obsession with my one month old daughter. Before deleting them, I checked the PhotoStream and all the pics had been uploaded to the cloud. I knew that videos don't get automatically sent to PhotoStream, but it slipped my mind that there were any even in the Camera Roll. Now this is a HUGE issue for me because I deleted the video of my daughter being born and me cutting the Umbilical cord. :(

So here's my question: Is this video backed up somewhere else? I have iCloud Backup turned on. The option on the phone says that with it on it: "Automatically backs up your camera roll, accounts, documents, and settings when this iPhone is plugged in, locked, and connected to Wi-Fi." (Which is every night for me.)

Please, please, PLEASE tell me that I can find this video backed up somewhere. If so, how do I retrieve it? I haven't synced over Wi-Fi or by USB in over a month, and I did delete the video like an idiot afterall - So that much is my fault. But please tell me that I didn't screw my daughter and me out of sharing that memory later when she's older.

I haven't cried in YEARS, but this ish is getting to me; and I feel something funny happening under my eyelids. I guess kids really do change you. Anyway, [/feelings]. Please someone, be able to help!

2. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

The iCloud Backup does backup camera roll so there's a chance you can retrieve it simply by erasing your iPhone to factory settings, then restoring from the iCloud backup. Before you waste your time though, check WHEN the last iCloud backup was performed over wifi. The iPhone will automatically back up if the phone is charging, connected to wifi, and the screen is off for a certain amount of time (I think an hour). Do you know approximately when the video was deleted?

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I just deleted it less than an hour ago.

4. theogcasey

Ok, then there is hope.

Step 1

Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage and Backup > Manage Storage. Select your iPhone from your list of backups and see when the last one was made. If it is sometime between the birth of your child and an hour ago, you have a really good chance at retrieval lol.

Step 2

Erase the contents of your iPhone by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings. Once the phone is cleared, it will restart. Go through the pages until it asks you if you want to start as a new device or Restore from iCloud Backup. You will obviously choose to restore from the backup. Also, you can only restore if you are connected to a wifi network. This step can take quite a while to complete, but it is worth it in your case.

Step 3

Once the phone is restored, check your camera roll and hopefully it is still there. If your backup is more than a month old, you will lose the contacts, apps, or text messages that you have added since then, but again, it will be worth it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have no help for you.
    Just wanted to say good luck!
    Apple has really gotten less and less "simple" over the years.
    I just never delete anything. Granted, I got the 64 gb phone, and paid up for it, but did so knowing that even thought it sounds obvious in hindsight, it is way too easy to do something stupid.

So I've got all my stuff on my iphone, on the Mac, backed up with Time Machine, and then certain stuff in the cloud. Complicated, and still not idiot-proof, but hopefully close!

Good luck.

PS: if the worst happens, and you can't retrieve, don't get too down on yourself. People were born long before video was invented and that moment remains special. Your daughter wouldn't be able to see it when she grows up... but not a big deal... it won't be as "special" a moment to her in any case (obviously her birth day will be very special, but not in the same way you'll be able to remember it like it was yesterday type thing... and you will remember that, video or not).

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

My iPhone 5 is at capacity. I can't even run updates on it. I do a lot of emailing from my phone. Wonder if that clogs it up.

And for some reason I can't check my email from my work wifi. I have to use cell data.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I wouldn't erase ANYTHING on the iPhone and see if it's still there with a FILE-retrieving program like Undelete Plus. :eek:

Try
    http://www.transcend-info.com/support/DlCenter/DLSoftware.asp?SID=4

It's all those Gabriela videos, man. :cool: Same deal with my iPhone 4S.

8. theogcasey

This probably has more to do with the parameters of your work wifi than your iPhone or carrier.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Random question about iPhones.

Why do older models still sell for big bucks? I just sold my wife's and my iPhone 4 on eBay for $200+ each and they are working but damaged. That's more than what we initially payed for them. What gives?

I noticed that the people who purchased them had, for lack of a better term, Asian names.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ That's pretty racist, but...

NO Contract, I think. :eek: