1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ipad Information

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Zboy, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Zboy

Zboy Member

I am getting an Ipad for my daughter for her birthday. I need some advice since i dont quiet follow Apple's poducts.

I will most likely get the 32GB Wifi + 3G version. Or maybe 64GB version....

Where is the best place to get one and who offers 3G service for it? Can it be bought from X retailer and then will I be able to get 3G from Verizon when needed?

2. Another Brother

I bought mine from the apple store. The have better support and will take you through a tutorial once you buy it.

If your daughter has a hotspot on her phone or is always in a wireless environment you dont really need the 3G and can save 100-150 bucks. I have a hot spot on my phone but rarely use it unless I'm in airports of if hotels charge for Internet.

3. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

if you get the 3g version, you'll be paying monthly

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

But without a contract.

5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I have the 16gb one with just wifi. You don't have to get 3G like others mentioned especially if you're always surrounded by wifi. Save the money IMO, but it's up to you.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Can you add it in later if you like?

DD

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

If you buy the 3G, then yes you can add that service later if you like. It is not on a contractual basis like cell phones and you can pay month to month. I went with Verizon.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

data service, yes. 3g to a non-3g ipad?, I don't believe so, maybe eventually?

As others mention, it's nice to have it, as you don't have to have a contract, and can get the data when you need it and not pay when you don't. That said, if you have a device that you can tether it to then you really don't need to shell out the $100-$150 extra, and most of the time most users are on wifi anyway.

That said, it's a bit of a drag for me in that I have a "grandfathered in" unlimited data plan on my iphone, but they won't let me tether an ipad with that connection unless I switch to a newfangled limited data contract. I would probably never go over, mind you, at least not often, but it's one of those things. at&t.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

So you can buy the 3G one but not have it activated?

If you are already paying for a data plan for your phone can you use that for your Ipad?

I am getting one for my wife for Christmas and have no idea which one to get her...but really don't want a contract etc, because we have wi-fi everywhere pretty much.

I have an Ipad 1 and 2 for work, and both just use Wi-fi...pretty much connected all the time...

DD

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I have that same grandfathered plan....

And I didn't know you could tether an Iphone, is that true?

Also, right now Target will buy your old IPhone 3GS and give you $100 off on a new 4, essentially getting an upgrade for $74.

DD

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

:cool: The prices will generally be about the same (new) everywhere. There's not really much competition on price, since it's the same product everywhere, unless they have a deal. I don't know right now of any. :eek: As someone above answered, the APPLE store has knowledgeable people because that's ALL the tablets they sell.

I would NOT buy the 3G, though, because most of the places where I am or where I would use it for the stuff I have would already be in a Wi-Fi area, like my home or work.

That's what SHE said. :grin:

12. Bellaire Brody

Your getting ripped off Danial Duncan.

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

I bought one for the missus for Christmas and I went with the Verizon 3G model because she is often in places without Wi-Fi. We are with AT&T for cell phones but I went with Verizon because they seem to have better coverage in our area and she'll probably use more than 250 MB of data a month but less than a 1 GB. I've been using it without activation without a problem. I'll get it activated the day before she gets it though.

If you have Wi-Fi pretty much everywhere I'd save the extra $120 and buy the Wi-Fi only model. If you do choose to go 3G just remember, the carrier you choose will be the carrier you use because AT&T iPads will not work with Verizon service and vice versa.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I wouldn't buy the 3G version, if you want Internet everywhere you could buy one of those Verizon 4G hotspots, gives you faster Internet plus you can use it with other devices as well.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

My wife has a Samsung phone so we can tether her device to her phone.

There are always apps that come out that allow Tethering on the IPhone and then they get pulled, got to get on them quick.

Itether got pulled just 2 weeks ago,,,,, Handly light got pulled (that one had hidden tether features).

DD

16. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

I have the Ipad 2 wifi, 16gb. I got an apple keyboard to go with it. Now it is just like a laptop or net book. We have wifi at home, but none at work. We're so busy at work it really doesn't matter. I have AT&T account so I get free wifi at their hotspots, like the fed-ex kinkos a few blocks from the job. I go there often at lunch.

I don't listen to music as much as I used to. I also don't watch movies all that often. So, 16 gb is good enough for me.

All the restaurants & cafes that have free wifi get my lunch business. The others that don't have it better have some really good food & service or they don't see me that often. I wanted to get the wifi + 3g, but I am satisfied with what I have.

The ipad is very convenient. I just use the laptop at home.

17. Bellaire Brody

See Spot run. Fast spot. Very fast.

18. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Member

Since they're pretty much the same price anywhere you buy them, you usually save money by getting gift cards with them. Right now Target is offering $75 gift cards with iPad 2 with 3g purchases and $40 with iPad 2 wifi purchases.

Pugs

1 person likes this.
  19. wreck

wreck Member

Question regarding service plans for those of you who own iPads. What benefits does the apple service plan include? Is it better to go with a third party warranty, such as square trade?

This is probably a dumb question but does apple provide a plan that covers accidental damage?

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

http://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html