1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

iogear gcs632u 2 port USB KVM switch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, May 22, 2010.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Anyone use this product? I just bought it and I was trying to use a wireless mouse and keyboard...each with their own USB receivers. The mouse is a Logitech Anywhere MX. The keyboard is a Logitech MX 3200.

So, anyway, I get this hooked up and try the hotkey. Initial hotkey configuration to use is to hit Scroll Lock twice to switch ports...but my keyboard doesn't have this. So, it says to use Num Lock and - on numeric keypad. Fine...and that works initially switching between my computers.

However, next thing I know, it stops working completely on both computers trying to perform hotkeys with this wireless keyboard. So, I unplug all of it and shut down my computers. Hook it all back up again and it still doesn't work. It's completely not working now.

So, I grab my wired USB keyboard and it works no problem.

I just find it very strange that it worked initially and then it just stops working altogether. I unplugged everything and back in. Yet, could never get the Logitech wireless keyboard working with it again as far as hotkey operation and, therefore, could not switch ports. The wireless mouse works fine.

I guess I may need to get a new wireless USB keyboard to try with it. I'll have to find one in some reviews. It's weird how these wireless keyboards and mice are hit-or-miss when it comes to KVM switches...and the weird ways in which problems manifest...like the one above.

Anyway, I'm not using it for my display...just the keyboard/mouse/sound. I can easily switch my display as my computers are hooked up via DVI and VGA (for the older puter).

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'd suggest tryin to setup the alternate keystroke with a wired keyboard first. Once you know it works all the time with the wired keyboard, then you can switch and you will know what the problem is if it re-occurs

Ive had problem using the iogear usb kvm with total wireless peripherals.
    It became more and more of a problem, so I settled for a wireless mouse and standard natural wired keyboard....no issues whatsoever.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Thanks, man! I switched the hotkeys to Ctrl Ctrl and the wireless works again. Based on what you're saying, I guess I can expect some spotty issues but everything seems okay for now. I cannot wait for the day when everything works wirelessly and seamlessly. I know there have been recent advances in this technology from what I've been reading.

On a different note, I was using my Xbox 360 with a wireless game adapter to wirelessly connect to my older Linksys WRT-54G wireless router. The adapter is set up not even ten feet away from the router...and the connection is freaking lousy. Also, the amount of connection resets caused by the 360 was just unbelievable. If I tried to watch movies on 360 on Netflix, then I would lose my connection and speeds would vary...resetting the quality of the video. Forget about playing internet games and expecting a quality connection wirelessly. Very frustrating. Maybe just the combo of game adapter and router doesn't work well with 360? Some of those incidents resulted in resetting the router to factory defaults and setting it back up again. Meanwhile, the PS3 has wireless built in and I've never had a single problem with it dropping connections or bad connections. So, I just gave up on 360 wireless. I thought about getting a new N router from D-Link with a wireless bridge but just didn't seem to make sense spending over $200 to go there. Also, if I wanted to go with a wireless N adapter for 360, that runs more than the router or bridge. How the hell does that work out cost-wise? It's a scam is what it is.

So, I just bought a $20 D-Link 5 port switch and ran a network cable to my router...so I can connect whatever internet capable devices from my home theater. The 360 now has zero problems and I don't expect any dropped connections or anything going forward. I'm sorry I waited so long to do that...but my whole philosophy is to eliminate the dread of running cables and wires as much as possible.

It would be nice to have quality home theater speakers that can perform wirelessly and still produce great sound as well. Maybe some day... .

#3 Surfguy, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Can you get away with using VM software like VMWare? I remember the days of geeks have 20 different computers in one room. Hell, I used to be one. Now I just fire up separate VM's. Of course, there are situations where that may not work, but for me, it's been a savings on money and space.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Good point. In fact, there's a free open-source VMware clone called VirtualBOX that I've used in the past. Works great.

Or you could just Remote Desktop into one from the other, or use VNC for the same thing.