1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ioannis Bourousis Should Be The New Franchise Center Of The Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by A Kar, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

cool. thx

2. rjr

rjr Member

If his rights belong to the Magic we're f***ed they need a back-up center.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Bourousis is a free agent.
    Fran Vasquez's right are held by the Magic. Sorry if I confused you in the first place.

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Didn't the Spurs try to get him this offseason or the one before? I remember him signing an extension sometime after that.

5. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Bourousis is a good offense C, but I don't know if his defense can fit the NBA

6. rjr

rjr Member

Un related to Borousis, but at least it's good to read Hoopsworld report the Rox have zero interest in Haywood, and his nasty contract. :grin:

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hoopsworld sounds right for once. ;)

8. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

There is a forum for international players, prospects and leagues. The OP is notorious for overrating Greek players.

9. Muaz

Muaz Member

He's like Andrea Bargnani but not as much as much offense, and a much better defender.

10. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

sounds good and would be another great asset to have, but not as our franchise center.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I have no idea what this means. So . . . he's also European???

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This guys signed a 3-year contract in 2009. He said he wanted to play in the NBA. Does he have a buyout after 2 years? If so, what is it?

We may want to consider him. He's mature. And Pops compared him to Vlade. We have the kind of system he would flourish in.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I haven't kept up much with him in the past year, but I know he was rated as the top Foreign Free Agent "prospect" by DraftExpress. I do know that he has a strong preference for playing in San Antonio, but maybe the Spurs' needs have changed since the (not-so-surprising) emergence of DeJuan Blair and the signing of Tiago Splitter to a multi-year deal.

While I wouldn't quite say, "Get 'er done, Morey!", I will at least say, "Look into it, Morey!"

14. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

He signed a 2+1 contract. That means next year is both a team and player option. He can only opt out for an NBA team though.

With the NBA lockout coming up and the amount of money he makes in Olympiacos there is virtually ZERO chance he opts out of his contract. No chance with the NBA lockout.

As far as him being similar to Vlade......no. The correct comparison would be Okur.

Like Okur.

More athletic than Okur. More talented on offense than Okur. Much better rebounder than Okur. Softer than Okur. Worse on defense than Okur.

Exceptionally talented center, but he plays at the 3 point line on offense too much and on defense he is too foul prone. Overall, he is far better than any big man the Rockets have.

He wants to go to the Spurs, but I can see no way that would happen now. He would never join any NBA team unless he was getting considerable playing time and the Spurs are out now with Blair and Splitter added in. Of course, I am sure Popovich would trade Splitter if he thought he could get Bourousis as Bourousis has much more talent. But Bourousis would see that Splitter hardly played in SA and not sign with them.

The Magic, Warriors, and Grizzlies have all tried to get him also.

He is a possibility AFTER next year maybe, but not next year because of the lockout. No way will any high paid European player lose millions of dollars to sit during a lockout when they can just stay in Europe.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy wouldn't beat out Chuck Hayes as the starter. With no roster changes he would be the 4th rotation big behind and the first C off the bench. Slippery slope when you start talking about dollar bills...

#35 RudyTBag, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  16. worzel gummidge

maybe hea meant a pf, not a real c.

17. jopatmc

Well, if he can't provide a defensive presence in the paint, then he is useless unless we trade Scola for an upgrade at the 3 and we can sign him to a reasonable deal to be a backup to Patterson and our center.

18. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

He would easily start at center on the Rockets. It would not even be close. Not by a country mile.

19. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

"Defensive presence in the paint"? The Euroleague is far more physical and defensive oriented than the NBA is. Bourousis is a fouler in the Euroleague. The problem is that he is much too much of a "defensive presence". He is a brawler basically on defense.

Even in Euroleague (which is far more physical than the NBA) he is a foul machine. So he would have to exponentially TONE DOWN his physicality and "presence" in the paint to play in the NBA.

It's on OFFENSE that Bourousis is soft. He is way too happy to stand at the 3 point line, despite having a very good low post game.

The issue with Bourousis on defense is that he does not move well enough laterally to defend the four position, even though he is a four on offense, since he mainly likes to stand at the 3 point line.

Unlike say Okur, who also likes the low post. Bourousis would have to adjust to the much less physical NBA on defense.

On offense and rebounding though he would absolutely tear the NBA apart.

20. jopatmc

much less physical play on defense in the NBA????

C'mon man. Stop.