1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ioannis Bourousis Should Be The New Franchise Center Of The Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by A Kar, Dec 24, 2010.

1. A Kar

A Kar Member

http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2009/10/bourousis-wants-to-play-in-nba-in-2.html#more

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136452

[​IMG]

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bourousis wants to play in the NBA in 2 years

When Ioannis Bourousis took the AT&T Center floor Friday for Greek basketball power Olympiacos Piraeus, he envisioned returning someday.

Bourousis, a 6-foot-11 center, turned down a contract offer from the Spurs this summer, telling coach Gregg Popovich he didn't feel he was ready for the NBA. But playing for the Spurs remains his dream.

“I'm anxious to play, not only against Tim Duncan, but also against the whole team,” Bourousis, 25, said before tipoff. “I had two or three offers from other (NBA) teams, but if I decide to play in the NBA, it will be in this facility.”

Bourousis wasn't perfect — he missed 3 of 5 shots and committed four fouls — but he did nothing to alter the opinion Popovich formed when scouting him at the 2008 European Final Four in Berlin.

“As soon as I saw him I started thinking: Vlade Divac,” Popovich said, recalling the former NBA star from Serbia. “His body language, his gait, the way he shoots, the way he moves on the floor ... He's good inside and outside. He runs the floor well, and he's got great hands. He's a very skilled young man.”

When Bourousis feels ready to make the jump, he said San Antonio is his first choice.

“I would like to play two more years in Euroleague, and then to come (to San Antonio),” he said. “In the future, if they still want me, and it is the right expenses, probably I will come.”

That news was welcomed by Popovich.

“That's OK with me,” he said. “I think he's fantastic.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rockets should steal Bourousis from the Spurs, just like they did with Scola.

Here is a youtube clip:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4wCfmsh-Y_4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4wCfmsh-Y_4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. k-money

k-money Member

he wants to play in 2 years. thats a long time from now.

3. A Kar

A Kar Member

That interview was from before the start of the 2009-10 season. Meaning, he wants to play in the NBA next season.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does he have to declare for the draft, or could we sign him as a free agent?

5. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Wrong forum for trashy Greek players.

6. Happii

Happii Member

LOL right after that heartfelt article of the center wanting to play with the Spurs when he decides to come to the NBA and all, you just suddenly say let's steal him from the Spurs. :grin:

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He has his head up the spur's azz. How does this help the rox?

8. A Kar

A Kar Member

You are only eligible for the draft through age 22. Bourousis is 27. He is under contract with Olympiacos for one more season. However, it is a player option. In other words, he is a free agent after this season if he wants to be.

Next season is the season that he has said several times he wanted to move to the NBA. That is why he made the third year of his contract a player option. If he wants to come to the NBA next year, any NBA team can sign him.

9. A Kar

A Kar Member

Bourousis made those comments before the Spurs added DeJuan Blair and Tiago Splitter.

Blair/Bonner
    Duncan/Splitter

There is no longer any place for him in San Antonio. He would be looking to come to an NBA team that actually needs a center, which pretty much eliminates San Antonio.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Could be a good player, but will a rookie from Europe (even a vet) be any more helpful than Brad Miller next year? And does he have any upside as a defender? The next center the Rockets commit to (striking Yao from the equation) needs to be a plus-defender, IMO.

11. A Kar

A Kar Member

He would be huge upgrade over Brad Miller in every way except passing. Miller is a better passer, but Bourousis is definitely better at everything else.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The guy is an NBA role player, we need a shot blocking starter....pass.

DD

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

We need a shot blocking starter... who can pass. And defend his man, the lane, give help on the weak side, and offer a modicum of O-threat.

Or, a younger Camby morphed into a younger B-Mill.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Is he better shooting 3 point shots than Miller? It's usually not important for a center, but as we have seen this year, it can be helpful.

15. TheGoldenGreek

Do you even know anything about bourousis? Do some research before you label players as "trashy."

I've watched bourousis play alot of basketball both with the national team and with olympiacos. He is a strong guy that is tough under the basket and is a very good defender and rebounder. He is a low post scorer that has some range. Sometimes his aggressive style leads to foul trouble, but I still think he'd be a very nice pick up for the rockets.

16. A Kar

A Kar Member

He is a shot blocker. Look at his huge rejection of Sergio Rodriguez in the video clip I posted at the 6:40 mark for an example. He is one of the all-time leading shot blockers in Euroleague history. He is currently 15th all-time in blocked shots in Euroleague history, and he will be 12th all-time in Euroleague history in blocked shots by the end of this season. Not bad for a guy that is 27. So yes, he is a shot blocker.

Bourousis matched up head to head with both Luis Scola and Yao Ming during the 2008 Olympics. He played center head to head against Yao and power forward head to head against Scola, and he statistically outplayed both of them in each of those games. He would start for the Rockets.

A Kar

17. A Kar

A Kar Member

Yes, he is. I would put him about in the category of Memo Okur, as far as 3 point shooting ability for centers goes.

18. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

Carl Landry disagrees.

19. anchel

anchel Member

Miller is still the better shooter, a much better passer, has more NBA experience, knows the league/team/players, knows our offense and leads the young guys... And is a better dribbler too.

Boroussis could be a better presence inside, a -little- better low post scorer, and a better low post defender... but not his rookie year. We're watching how Pekovic is struggling in his first NBA season with the refereeing and defense in general. Let's give him some time, he's having injury troubles too, but he was almost a dominant center in Europe. Something similar could be said about Splitter. Still too soon, but the change is dificult man.

I like Bouroussis even so, he has a chance to be a decent NBA player, he has a strong big body and some talent. But he's NOT the next Divac and at no way he has Scola's/Vlade's talent (just to mention Sabonis is an insult).

20. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I already brought up Bourousis in the DPE thread. I didn't know that his last year was a player option. That really changes things. I could easily see Morey go after Bourousis or Fran Vasquez (his right are held by the Magic, so the Rockets would have to trade for him) with either the DPE or the MLE in the offseason.

Bourousis is like a black Brad Miller. He'd definitely be a upgrade as the backup center. I'm not sure if he's a good fit next to Scola though. Scola can't guard the quick/hyprid fours of this league, so you'd like your center to be quick and mobile (à la Chuck Hayes or Nene), which Bourousis is not.

Either way it sure will be an interesting off-season.