1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Internet Connection Help] Wireless connection

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckyazn, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Here's my situation:

I had just re-install window onto one of my older computer (P4 3.6ghz), and everything was working fine for 3 weeks. I mean it was able to get on the wireless network and browse the internet or download pretty quickly. (Like all the other computer in my house) I remember doing all the window updates and download drivers pretty quickly and smoothly when I was re-installing.

Well for 3 weeks the computer works fine if is not connected for internet use, but when I'm connected to the wireless network there would be a big lag. I mean it would take mins to load up a page. (All the other computers connects and works fine except this one)

So I went out and bought a new wireless network card and is still doing the same thing.

It was just working fine the past 3 weeks.

Any advise on what I should look for or how I could fix this problem?

It seems to be something with the network connection than the computer itself. I can open programs and run everything else fine.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Ah, I don't think its the wireless card... these problems mainly occur with routers... after a while a router can get old and start to ware down.. or it could be a defected new router if you bought a new router... I'd suggest going out and buying a new router.... usually this problem occurs on the routers end.

3. dback816

dback816 Member

But he also said his other computers don't have this problem, so it shouldn't be the router

Maybe you have massive amounts of virus and spyware on your computer. Try running some scans or just reinstall windows

4. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

I'm also having a wireless problem if anyone could help:

I have a connection that I THOUGHT was secure. When I sign look at the connection on my laptop the "lock" symbol is there. I thought that meant only I could get on.

Well, the other night I had an Apple laptop from work at home. I was able to connect to my wireless. I didn't ask for a password or anything.

What gives?

5. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

if other computers are running fine on the same router, then it's not the router.
    you've eliminated the wireless network card.

have you tried connecting directly to the modem?
    is the lag constant? or is the lag intermittent?
    why did you re-install windows?
    when did you do all the software updates for your pcs?
    were there any other hardware of software changes recently?

6. dback816

dback816 Member

well...did you assign or let the router auto generate a networkkey/password when you set up your wireless connection originally?

if you didn't, and it's the first time you brought that apple laptop home from work, then...yea, you don't have a secure network

7. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

if it was your own wireless network you connected to, then you're wireless network is not password protected. I would advise to you to call your router manufacturer, or your internet service provider, if they supplied the wireless devices, to assist you. You may also want to check out the router manufacturer's or ISP's website if you are a do-it-yourself guy.

8. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I was going to try connecting it to my modem directly using a network wire this weekend when I have time to see how it goes.

The lag is constant it just keeps on taking a long time to load up any page.

I re-install window because it was an old computer and I just wanted to clean everything out and start new.

I did all the software update the same day I re-install window. Did the Microsoft updates, download AVG-Anti Virus, SP3, Spy-Bot

and everything was working fine and smooth for 3 weeks.

Nope now new hardware added just that new wireless card I install last weekend thinking the old one could have prob.

9. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I would recommend trying a direct connection first. And I'm assuming you tried rebooting your modem, router, and your laptop. But more questions you might want to check off:
    Did you scan your pc for spyware, virus, etc?
    Did you delete temporary internet files?
    Did you try cleaning your registry?
    Did you trying resetting WINSOCK? goto start> run> cmd> then type: netsh winsock reset catalog
    Then type: netsh int ip reset reset.log
    Then restart your PC.
    If the problem persists, try uninstalling your antivirus software using the add/remove programs from the control panel. Next, get help from someone else :D good luck