1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting UT acceptance story!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Joshaaronb, Mar 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

But the living in Dallas part is what makes it worth while. I absolutely love this city and am not planning on leaving.

2. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Well, after spending 4 years in Ithaca, NY (undergrad) and 2 years in Austin (MBA), I can tell you this: My Cornell degree may be more valuable than one from UT, but damn, I sure wish I went to UT undergrad instead. Better atmosphere, more fun-loving and nicer student body, cheaper cost of living, and the girls are like 7000% hotter. Cornell may have a nicer campus (it's gorge-eous) and offers a better education, but really, who goes to college to learn, anyway?

As for getting into college, don't downplay extracurricular activities. When deciding between two equal students, admissions boards need something else to break the tie, after all. This can apply for masters programs as well.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yep samthing for me, I ended up going to TCU. I went to highschool in Europe...so didn't have any of the top 10% of tx thing helping me. I did apply to UT, although it was my 2nd choice behind TAMU.

I just couldn't wait to get out of Dallas Fort Worth...hate it up there.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Got to like Redefined for his honesty...extreme conservative, doesn't think Asian can be attractive, mommy picks up his clothes, applies for jobs/schools he won't go to/take just so he can respond to other people he doesn't know, and likes DFW over Austin & Houston.

Lhutz and TJ must have had a baby.

5. updawg

updawg Member

he's the poster boy for Dallas.

6. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Redefined, pls post pics of yourself for photoshopping purposes

THx!

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's not a conservative, he's a "conservatist".

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm a liberator.

9. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Top 10% of my high school : 4.56 GPA
    Top 10% of El Paso High: 4.0 GPA

Public institution supported by the state and taxpayers should be : fair
    The above numbers represent something that was : unfair

Life doesn't work this way. I would consider myself part of the top 10% in regards to intelligence in my class. My SAT percentile would indicate such. I finished in the bottom quarter of my class rankings (GPA). High school was a joke to me; I did not give a **** about making grades.

I never applied to UT, but I did get into SMU. I am double majoring in Real Estate Finance and History with a minor in Anthropology. My business GPA is a 3.5 and I am in one of the top 20 undergrad business schools in the nation.

10. redefined

LOL! I noticed the mistake right after I posted. I originally had "tactics of conservatism" in there but that didn't make much sense so changed the wording to fit my own needs and screwed it up even more. Extreme conservative. :(

11. redefined

1) When did I ever say Asians can't be attractive. I said I don't find any single Asian attractive. I might as well as add that I am Asian...

2) Mom has to pick up my clothes. When you work from 6-8 when the hell are you supposed to pick up your clothes? I don't have weekends off either so it's literally IMPOSSIBLE for me to pick up my dry cleaning. She takes my dad's clothes, why can't she take mine?

3) Other people I don't know? No, no, you got it all wrong. Every kid of my ethnicity either goes to UT or Ivy. Those are your only two options. Everyone in the community talks and talks and all they care about is college. It's hilarious actually because they have no other life. So when they find out you don't go to UT they are going to figure you didn't get in. Simple.

4) I only work so I can afford my own things. I only rely on my parents money for tuition. As of right now I can last about another year without working. But of course if the right internship comes up, you must take it. I'm not going to pass on a place like Smith & Barney or Merrill Lynch, even if they are unpaid. My resume is out there and people call. That's the beauty of our network. And when they do call I have to show some interest and will set up a time for an interview. However, I never have any intention to working at a place like Presbyterian Hospital or Blanchard. They tell you over the phone it's for an accounting position and then when you're there and see the environment and realize what you really are going to be going, and on top of that make only 10 bucks an hour, then you have no choice but to refuse the offer. I've had some pretty neat internships. I can promise you if I went to UT I would not have had such opportunities (mainly because these companies are headquartered in Dallas)

5) I never said anything about Fort Worth. I've only been there once in my life and thought the place was a dump. Dallas itself is a great city, especially the area I live in. I love it so much I decided to reside here as long as I can. That's my preference and you should respect that if anything. And honestly, if you don't respect anything, that's fine with me too.

I didn't realize I would have to waste my time writing out every little detail for you to understand such straightforward concepts. I'm very particular and I do everything for a proper reason. If you want me to clarify any other problems you have I would gladly do so :cool:

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Guess I misunderstood from your comment below....

As for the rest, all I can say is you seem to be more open and honest than 99% of the internet world, for what its worth. I am sure I took a few things out of context, but it sure presented quite the caricature and I couldn't resist;)

And good luck to you. In truth there are plenty of di**wads and great people in every school/city, etc, IMO mostly its circumstance and oddities where most people are currently living or go to school (legacy- brainwashing when young, family/friend connections, where your fav teacher went to school, etc), we just like to really exaggerate the fairly small differences between places because it leads to rivalries and such (Dal vs Hou, UT vs A&M, etc).

Hades, me a T-sip, ended up marrying an Aggie. All is good except separate TV rooms on Thanksgiving--LOL, I was even routing for the Aggies big time last night (for some reason I don’t mind the BB team/fans/atmosphere nearly as much as the football stuff--I just can't get myself to rout for Aggie football under any remotely neutral circumstance of yet--not playing OU when the latter is better. Maybe there will come a day, who knows). There, you learned a bit about me.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You people and your city ragging really, really gets old. We get it already. Get off the rag!

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

NO DEAL.

[​IMG]

15. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Dallas sucks....Plano on the other hand...so nice.

I got into UT two days ago!

HOOK 'EM

16. flipmode

flipmode Member

UT-Austin basically IS Austin, so it's no wonder extreme conservatives find it a little too "weird."

and as far as "too many bums" - you can find bums anywhere. it's just in Austin, the liberal bent is very hospitable to people asking for handouts. plus, the government's policy of pushing the mentally r****ded out of state aid programs (which are centered in Austin) multiplied the amount of homeless out on the street. also, trust-fund drag rats or bum-scenesters like to take advantage of naive students by panhandling on Guadalupe and the campus area.

as far as UT, getting "in" or not could depend on how you applied to the school - are you defining getting "in" as getting into the prestigious business or engineering schools? or getting in as undeclared?

and a last note, if you really want to get into UT just for the spite of rejecting it, you should apply to A&M. they'll think you're AWESOME.

i'm not a UT sunshine-pumper (even as a Sr. business undergrad), but some of the thoughts in this thread are outright unfounded and ridiculous. you just have to know what's good for you isn't good for everyone else, and vice versa. additionally, i think it's rare to find a school that has EVERYTHING you want. i came to UT, hated it for a half semester, then things just started to fall together once i realized that UT in an urban atmosphere simulates the "real world" and i'd have to build new connections if i wanted to get anywhere. it was outside my comfort level, and i feel like i gained something important from it. to each his own (as long as it's logical.) :p

17. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/tx/other/2381

74% of the kids at El Paso High are eligible for the free or reduced-price lunch program. These kids are seriously underprivileged.

18. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

How are you comparing GPAs from 2 different high schools? Did you guys have the same teachers take the same tests and do the same homeworks?

19. redefined

Not only that, but do they have the same scale? Some schools go up to 6 and others just 5. I think the highest GPA you could get at my school was only 4.3.

20. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

what's your point?

ya, we should have the same curriculum.