1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting UT acceptance story!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Joshaaronb, Mar 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How's that cure for cancer coming? :rolleyes:

;)

2. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I'm keeping it a secret for now.... I'll wait until I can make some REAL money. Then I'll sell my cure for cancer, war, famine, and AIDS and save all humanity in one swoop. It'll be awesome. Just you wait! :D

3. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

haha yea.. its clements

4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Seriously, 3 of my friends who transfered to UT after their first year came back after only being there for one semester. Then another 1 came back at the start of this year. That's pretty pathetic.

5. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Whos the pathetic one here? your friends or UT??
    Maybe they transferred and couldnt make the grades or didnt fit in well. Either way i dont think its pathetic of either party, UT isnt for everyone...but i had a damn good time there, and got a great education in the process

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was basically in a situation where I had to transfer or else I might have stayed. I was like .2 percent below the cut-off GPA to get into the school of business to basically start my grad courses. I basically needed a "B" in my final "core" (core as in core courses form the GPA needed to get in the school of business) Calculus course and I got a "C". It basically came down to the final exam in that course and I got mental block during the exam missing questions I had studied. I guess you could say I cracked. It wasn't fun at the time. So, that doomed my UT career. I mean...if they would have rounded my cumulative "core" courses GPA...I would have made it. LOL. My real grad courses hadn't even begun at that point.

So, it's a mischaracterization for me to say I was happy about transferring out. I didn't experience that joy until the "fun" set in during the first semester at SFA. Of course, it helped to have updawg and MRMEOWGI there in Naconowhere...among other friends...to make me feel at home.

My thoughts tend to be, in reflection, I'm glad I didn't stick around UT. I think I would have busted my ass 150% more and not come out much, if any, better when it came to get a job in the real world. I do, however, have an appreciation and respect for people who can plow through 4 years at UT. It is a well-earned degree in my book. I would love to have the prestige of a UT degree...but I'm stuck with the lumberjack degree. :D

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK. I sleep all night and I work all day."

Actually, I think I slept most of the day and partied all night. Umm.

#26 Surfguy, Mar 22, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  7. redefined

Making the grades had nothing to do with it. They are all engineers and that's though stuff to keep up with no matter where you go. Fine, let's not call either ambiguous participant pathetic, but I was definitely referring to UT.

Here were some of the major complaints:
    -Engineer School smelled worse than India
    -Girls are nowhere near as attractive as they here
    -Austin is just too weird in general
    -Laundry got stolen TWICE
    -One of my friend's roommate started masturbating WHILE HE WAS IN THE ROOM.
    -There was always crap and vomit all over the bathrooms
    -Dorms suck (no cable tv, private bathrooms, or even carpet)
    -Too much walking.
    -Bums all over Austin
    -Too many weirdos (guys with green hair, protesters, goths, etc)
    -Other useless crowds (you know how easy it is to buy pot in Austin)
    -Too crowded
    -Plus cockroaches at Wendy's and Taco Bell (those are my two favorite fast food restaurants, and that is gross!)

For crying out loud, getting your laundry stolen twice in one semester is too much!

Obviously, not everyone goes through what they have. But it's definitely out there and that's enough to get me thinking.

As for me, I'm an extreme conservatist and I would never be happy there.

I'm not posting this to bash UT. Obviously it is a great school because of the high rankings. My sister is going there and I'm not interfering with her decision, even though she did get into plenty of other better schools. So now because of that I actually now have some association with UT... I'm not complaining about it either.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not to sound rude, but it just seems like you didn't want to work hard. A lot of freshman do end up on probation at the end of the first semester, but I would bet that the majority don't and do just fine.

redefined- Why did you apply to transfer if you didn't want to go anyways? Also, your last post just makes your friends sound pathetic, not UT. Once again, I don't want to sound rude, but how is that pathetic on the part of UT?

Like mrdave posted, UT/Austin isn't for everyone, some people love it and some people don't care for it. Surfboy didn't enjoy his time at UT and I'm glad he found a school he enjoyed, but I wouldn't bash a school if you've never been there.

The Top 10% is weird and I never cared for it, but I guess thats one of the perks of being the Top 10% of the smartest people in your school.

9. redefined

I applied just so I can say I got in but refused to go. Don't you ever hear those people who say, "Oh, the only reason you don't go to UT is because you didn't get in!" Now I can just shove their own words up their asses.

I mean when 4 of my friends (they are my close friends who I met freshman year of college so obviously we have stuff in common) transfer to UT and then leave right away, then something isn't right [for our type of background and personality]. Fine, pathetic was the wrong word, sorry for that.

10. surrender

surrender Member

Heh, I ended up at UH because they offered me a full ride. I regretted my choice at first because almost all of my HS friends went to UT, but now I couldn't be happier here.

11. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

As a UT alum and current UH law student, UH couldn't have paid me to go there for undergrad.

For all those getting into higher ranked private schools and choosing not to go, I wonder about you folks. Sometimes its money, I understand, but still. UT offers a great public school education, but I would have gladly gone to a nice private school with small classes and a faculty that likes to teach over going to Texas.

Too many students from Houston and Dallas go to UT, and not enough from the rest of the state, which is why I like the top 10 percent rule even if the results are sometimes wonky.

12. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Got admitted to every public school in Texas straight out of high school, turned both UT and TAMU down...one of the better decisions I ever made.

13. redefined

May I ask where you decided to go instead?

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

In a sense, you are correct. I didn't want to work as hard as what UT was putting students through. SFA students didn't, and I'm sure still don't, work as hard or nearly that hard. But, I believe we were still learning what we needed without the brutal amount of work UT demanded. I understand that is the competitive nature of UT and how they control the student population. If I had done better in Calculus (where I struggled and even had a tutor), then I would have stayed and probably gone on to graduate from there. At least, I believe I would have. It would have been a brutal ride, though.

So, am I disappointed I didn't get the UT degree? No...I'm really not and I make no apologies for it. I worked hard enough in school...and hard enough to be where I'm at today 12 years later.

15. updawg

updawg Member

Enjoy college, Its pretty much just a piece of paper at the end of the day (depending on what you are going on to).
    Never once has anyone asked what my gpa was.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is misnomer, there are people who I know who graduated undergrad with high GPAs from UT that are making 80-100k. Tell me you can get that much if you have a 2.8. In fact in engineering it is pretty hard to get interviews if you have less then a 3.0 unless you are a minority or a girl.

17. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Uhhhhhhhhhh......

[​IMG]

pls stop posting. k thx.

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Yeah, you must be like the 4000th UT undergrad turned UH law student I've heard b**** about it. :rolleyes:

Wah wah wah.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It depends on what your major is, who you know, how you interview and whether or not you had any prior internships. I know plenty of folks with high and low GPA's that did or didnt get the jobs they wanted. Just saying it's not all about having great grades. The grades surely do help...but not all employers go for the high gpa folks.

I think all schools are great...it just depends on what you want from your college experience and how hard you want to work.

20. surrender

surrender Member

UH IS UGLY AND THE AREA AROUND CAMPUS IS UGLY AND THE WOMEN ARE UGLY AND HOUSTON SUCKS

I will concede that UH is not a school where fun activities are obvious - there's nothing around campus (aside from the best fried chicken on Earth), there aren't many people on campus after 5:30 or so, and there isn't much dorm life. However, if you're somewhat social and join an activity or two, it's possible to have a great time here. I wish I could go back a few years and slap myself for being such a sulky loner in my first two years here