1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting Tweets from Jason Friedman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Mar 14, 2013.

1. dwood21

dwood21 Member

D-Mo has a ton more upside than Patterson. I'm not surprised we are better offensively with D-Mo but that defensive stat is indicative that D-Mo doesn't get enough credit for what he does on offense

2. thekad

thekad Member

I thought everyone knew Patterson sucked. Except that one guy of course.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

109 minutes is a decent sample - it will take into account 15 - 20 games. But blow-outs can skew it a bit - still it's directional.

Now, look what happens if you eliminate the first half of the season:

http://stats.nba.com/teamLineups.ht...&SeasonSegment=&Month=0&LastNGames=0&splits=Y

Now all of a sudden 2 Pat doesn't look so bad after all.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. I've been high on Motiejunas since before he was drafted, but you don't need to get rid of Patterson to give Motiejunas plenty minutes if you are already trading Morris. Remember, even if you only look at his games as a starter, DMo is only averaging 21 mpg. There are plenty of minutes for both Patterson and Motiejunas. More important, Patterson+DMo combo is better and more reliable than the DMo+Robinson combo. Robinson plays hard, but he's still mistake prone and his lack of shooting range tends to mess up the normal spacing on offense.

2. Oh, btw (since people constantly b****ed about Patterson's lack of rebounding):

Rebounds per 36 minutes by Patrick Patterson as a Rocket this season: 6.53
    Rebounds per 36 minutes by Donatas Motiejunas as a starter in 7 games: 6.58

We've really upgraded in terms of rebounds, eh?

3. +/- in a small sample can be, as Friedman noted, easily influenced by a few huge runs in blow out games one way or another. Cole Aldrich just had a game where his team was +40 in his minutes. I bet that changed his +/- as a King a good deal.

#24 Carl Herrera, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Carl Herrera prefers Dmo over PPat... he just hates TRob for whatever reason

6. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Just because you put effort into something won't automatically make you good at it. Lol..

I think his rebounding will get better when he gets use to NBA speed and playing against NBA talent and getting his timing right.

7. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

So are you saying Patterson, Morris, and Aldrich (lol) where mistake free...???

If Morey wouldn't have traded Patterson and only traded Morris, McHale would have used Delfino and Parsons as the backup power forward and Donatas still wouldn't have seen the floor... Heck when Patterson, Morris, and Aldrich where on the team McHale would sit all of them on the bench and send Delfino out to hold Dirk...

Morey wants to see what D-Mo and Robinson can do before he goes out and blows ridiculous money on a guy like Josh Smith or Al Jefferson and or show case them for trade bait.

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

the competition was harder at the beginning of the season. I know about 5 to 10 games the Rockets had the toughest sos to that point

9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I think the fact that he was questioned and doubted contributed to his hunger and drive to prove his detractors wrong. No one could possibly have foreseen how he has responded to the Rockets' challenge.

Rockets asked him to work on his rebounding in Europe during the lockout season last year. Check.

Rockets sent him back and forth to the DLeague. Others would have sulked (like MMorris did last year). DMo began to but MMorris talked to him about the benefits of the DLeague.

Maybe a first-ever in the history of the DLeague, DMo early this year asked to be sent back to the DLeague so he can play and not watch from the bench. Really impressed the coaches and the FO.

So here he is now, the wolf-hunting, Ayn Rand-quoting starting PF of the Rockets ... he had a number of ugly showings, but he doesn't put his head down. He acknowledges if he plays bad, and he continues to work hard.

Boy, I'm pumped up for that last game with the Lakers. Will DMo finally have the chance to tell DHoward those immortal words

"Catch me of you can?"

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Carl, good points, but Patrick got us the 5th pick of this year's draft, and I think that in the long run you'll be glad we made that move. I miss him as well. He had gotten to where he was money with that midrange jumper, and every once in a while (far too rarely), he'd have a big rebounding game, and I'd think that he'd finally "gotten it." Yet his defense was lousy. I love Scola, as you know, but defense was far from his strong point (although his team D was better than people gave him credit for, and Patrick's team D had improved by the time we moved him, I'll give you that), and Patrick's defense was on a par with Scola's, IMO. Sure, he was more athletic, quicker, etc., but it didn't transfer to defense. How he could be so clearly better athletically than Luis in his 30's and not be a better defender than he was is strange. Go figure. Robinson will give us both the rebounds and the defense that Patterson just didn't have. It'll take time, but I really believe he will. I'm not going to argue Patterson versus Donuts. The only thing Patrick has over him is NBA experience. Wait and see.

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

T-Rob is 1000x better as a rebounder than Patterson. Not even close...

Nobody here is saying that Motiejunas is a rebounding machine, far from it! But if we are going to have a PF to space the floor and play that type of role, I'd much rather it be D-Mo than PPat. Robinson is just fine right now playing 15-20 mins off the bench.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

PPat contributes more right now, but he doesn't make us a contender. We're a borderline playoff team with or without him. Might as well gamble on someone with significantly higher upside.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Lin/Harden/Parsons/PPat/Asik:

OREB%- 25.5%
    DREB%- 76.6%
    Total REB%- 51.6%

Lin/Harden/Parsons/Dmo/Asik:

OREB%- 30.8%
    DREB%- 80.9%
    Total REB%- 58.1%

Team improved a whopping 6.5% in Total REB% simply by swapping Patterson for a never started before green as can be rookie Dmo.

I am not sure if that is indicative of how good Dmo is, certainly hasn't looked it a few games ago, or how ineffective a non-rebounder Patterson was.

Either way, great job at improving the team's rebounding through addition by subtraction, Daryl.

In other words, yes, we have really upgraded in terms of rebounding.

http://stats.nba.com/teamLineups.ht...n=2012-13&PerMode=Totals&MeasureType=Advanced

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Almost everyone understands this, but there are a select few that choose to remain stubborn and ignorant.

15. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Now this is the Dakota I like to see !

16. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Yes we have upgraded in terms of rebounding........

Robinson is a much better rebounder. Donuts is a much better offensive player.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

The select few(one) remains stubborn because he believes swapping Patterson for Robinson has a material impact on the team's chances at reaching the playoffs. Considering all the benefits of this team playing in the post season- experience for a young team, boosting asset value, more attractive destination for FAs- that would have been a reasonable position if his assumptions were true.

Thankfully, in reality, his assumption is laughable. We have actually improved our chances. And by the beginning of the post season, this will be a better team than the one with Patterson.

18. Carl Herrera

Small sample size. You think 58% reb% is sustainable? Lol. This post is as good as the "Marcus Morris is our franchise player" prediction.

19. Carl Herrera

Robinson is a better rebounder, but not by as much as you might think. Pat's rebounding % in SAC has already gone up significantly from his HOU rate, which tends to show that a part of his reb% has to do with Asik and other teammates taking away some Rebs.

Robinson is also a much worse shooter and turns the ball over in 20% of his possessions (vs 8% for Patterson).

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

So you do know what sample size means. Because it didn't seem like you had a problem with it when you used Dmo's per 36 numbers in 7 games to support your point.

Don't be mad that you are laughably wrong. We've all been there. What is pathetic is someone who sticks to it until the embarrassing comical end. Now that would just be DD territory. You are better than that, Carl.

1 person likes this.