1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting McHale article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JustAGuy, Mar 21, 2013.

1. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

No dude you don't get it. Its so frustrating arguing with someone whose agenda is not your agenda. Everyone here trusts McHale cos its a young tea learning on the fly. But you have a problem with him cos he doesn't play Lin apparently.

2. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

I hadn't seen this before. Thanks for posting.

This is a process. It takes time. Everyone is so impatient. McHale called it a microwave generation a little while back, I think in talking about Jeremy and James figuring out how to play together. Everybody wants things to gel immediately.

Look at how many changes this young team has gone through. First basically the whole roster turns over. Then they go through training camp with one team, only to have that all blown up with the acquisition of Harden. Then they trade 3 players in their rotation just when they're gearing up for the playoff run. Add to that that basically just about everyone is playing a different...and bigger...role than they've ever played before.

I think it's really quite amazing that they've come so far so fast. Sure, credit has to go to the guys. That's a group of fine, young, unselfish, hard working, talented men we've got assembled. But some of the credit has got to go to the coaching staff too.

If all it took to win was to throw a bunch of talented players on the court together, the Lakers wouldn't be fighting to get into the playoffs now.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I think he's good at building the confidence of his young players. He's also realistic in what his players can be able to accomplish.

BUT I just want him to make in-game adjustments more quickly. As in hiding Harden's defense when he's getting scored upon. Or putting in a big for rebounds when we're being outrebounded. The goal is to have a winning mentality, to sacrifice for the team to get the wins. i think the players will learn more quickly when they're given freedom but with accountability, esp. in the 4th quarter.

4. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Not really... My agenda is basically not comparing people who are decent human beings and have had a really hard year personally to dictators, politicians and used car salesmen.

But to you it's all about Lin still? When nothing was mentioned about him? Really? Talk about embodying a stereotype...

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Turnovers in particular, airball passes and losing the handle, feel like youthful mistakes to me. I do believe in a couple of years they won't be much of an issue and it's going to be great. McHale is preaching patience to himself as much as anyone. I'm sure he wants to rip his hair out a lot of the time.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm starting to see more and more why Morey hired McHale. You can speak all you want about his Xs and Os, but the guy has the Charisma+Hard-nosed Mentality combo. This is so important for a young team. Not only can you hold your young players accountable so they don't develop bad habits, but you can also make them listen to things that 20yr old millionaires don't like to hear.

McHale may not be a genius strategist, but Sampson, Finch, Bickerstaff, etc. have put together a pretty good philosophy for this team. But McHale obviously had a huge hand in getting his players to buy into their philosophy.

7. Postcall

Postcall Member

I thought it was funny good Chappelle show ref.