1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting interview on the unity of science and religion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Grizzled, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

The interviewee, Guy Consolmagno, has a Ph.D. in Earth and Planetary Sciences from MIT, and went on to teach there as well, and then some years later he became a Jesuit Priest. This is not a typical career path to say the least. He currently works at the Vatican Observatory in Arizona. He’s also been a lifelong science fiction buff. The show is an hour long weekly popular science show on CBC called Quirks and Quarks, and his interview is about 2/3 of the way through and lasts about 20 minutes.

http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/media/2005-2006/mp3/qq-2006-04-15.mp3

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Well that will give me something to put in my mp3 player for my communte from work Monday. No comment until then. Thanks!

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Two years ago we saved the Pope Scope... and a couple of more on Mt. Graham from a wildfire. Here it is...

[​IMG]

Here's a photo from the fire... the big buiding is the Large Binocular Telescope (LBT) and the small round shiny thing is the Vatican's telescope.

[​IMG]

The whole thing was pretty cool. After it was all over, a group of us got a tour of the LBT, which is a damn impressive chunk of engineering.

4. moomoo

moomoo Member

kudos to you for stepping back from your hardline pro-ID stance, and trying to see a broader picture.

Rev. George Coyne, the director of the Vatican Observatory where Consolmagno works, is also worth looking into. (google)

5. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I’m not quite sure what you’re suggesting but my position was always against what I called the “fundamentalist evolutionist” position that said that evolution and only evolution should be taught in schools. (Any time you try to limit scientific inquiry you are obviously not engaging in good science and are instead either engaging in some kind of “fundamentalist” faith or perhaps merely political manipulation). I was taking ID to mean what it originally mean which was a suggestion that our origins may not be merely the result of random evolution and that some intelligent design component may be involved. The term ID has become more and more synonymous with creationism, however, and when the Catholic church made a public statement implying that they saw the two as essentially the same thing then the term was done for, imo. So to facilitate a discussion on this topic we now need another term that means intelligent design but that isn’t intelligent design because intelligent design has come to mean creationism. Such are the problems with language.

6. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

rimrocker:
    Cool. I live near a very forested area and I have to say I really admire the work you guys do.
    “Pope Scope,” I like it. :D

7. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Did anybody listen to it? It’s an interesting interview but I would stop short of saying it was a great because I think he says a couple of things in a way that I think could be misunderstood and be off putting to some in the process, but the key message, imo, is that both science and spirituality should be, and ideally are, a determined pursuit of truth.

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I just listened to it on my way home from work. His jab at meditation and Eastern religion was pathetic. Maybe he should have gone back to MIT and it's Institute of Brain Research in 2003 for the conference investigating the common ground between Buddhism and science. Oh well. It's that exact mindset that can also lead people away from religion. And his assertion that somehow science in history was exclusive to the Abrahamic religions was also nothing short of lame and false. Maybe we would know more about the history of astronomy of the American Indians of the followers of his religion didn't slaughter them etc. But growing up Christian in Houston and around the NASA community etc his outlook is really nothing new to me, but thanks for posting it.

9. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Yeah, the comment about “meditating themselves out of existence” was an unfortunate attempt at a joke I think. It’s especially odd coming from a Catholic given that there are certainly Catholic monks who do essentially the same thing. I suspect that that was a bias from his scientific side, though. It’s the kind of bias you get from the narrow scientific view that suggests that spirituality is necessarily merely superstition. He said a couple of other unfortunate things too.

The part that I think he got right was the connection between ideal science and ideal Christianity in that they are both purely pursuits of what is truth and right, and they are pursuits that never end. A scientist should never say that we know all there is to know in a given area, and Christians should never stop growing in their spiritual understanding. Science should never discount new avenues of inquiry, like whether earth itself was “terraformed” somehow. And from a Christian standpoint we are told that if we seek we will find, and that the truth will set us free, and I think these concepts are to be understood in the broadest possible sense. If God is truth then genuinely searching for truth will lead you to God. So both paths of inquiry lead you to the same greater whole, imo, and I believe that if each side stuck to its ideals it would eventually discover the other on its own.