1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting astros stats thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Wulaw Horn, May 20, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Funny thing is that they had lost 7 in a row leading up to that announcement. Then they won 6 of 8 while he was banished from catching.

Major likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Catcher ERA has always been seen as a questionable stat. Has something changed with yall nerds?

3. Buck Turgidson

2023 (1694G): 1205/306, 79.7%, .892 steal attempts per game

2022 (4860G): 2486/811, 75.4%, .678 steal attempts per game

Wulaw Horn, everyday eddie and Nick like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Thanks. I wonder if the numbers have been consistent throughout the first 3 months… or have teams found a way to counter-act the increased attempts.

5. Screaming Fist

It's not a good stat, but if an effect is large enough (e.g., Maldy being THE GOAT pitch caller/pitcher manager) it should manifest even in a flawed stat like cERA. The fact that it doesn't and never has across his career makes it implausible that he's having a substantial effect via his ostensible Godlike pitch calling/pitcher manager powers. Maybe having a small effect (who knows) but clearly not something very large or impactful.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I always expected this shift rules wouldn't have a huge effect, and it has been minor.

Leaguewide BABIP is up 7 points from last season, and 5 points from 2021. BA is up 5 points from last season, and guys like Joey Gallo still can't stay over .200.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Absoduckinglutely correct. I’m not a catcher era guy. It’s a crude tool that says the maldy worshio is overdone.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Absoduckinglutely correct. I’m not a catcher era guy. It’s a crude tool that says the maldy worshio is overdone.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree with most of this. It isn't great to compare across teams, but if there is a major intangible quality, it should be popping up in cERA relative to catcher's on the same team even if it is tough to quantify how important it is (though we should be able to get an upper bound). I disagree that he's never had cERA that indicates some intangible quality as we can compare it to how pitchers on his own team pitched. From 2015-2020, his cERA was generally below his team's ERA by about 0.10-0.15 ERA on average (eyeballing this range as he had some years well below and above this average). Considering he was a big part of that average, that is a decent chunk of value that manifested while he was catching (somewhere between 10 runs [1 WAR] and 25 runs [2.5 WAR] in a season versus the other catchers on the team). Some of this is probably that he was a better framer in that time period than he is now.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It would also be expected that he's still heavily involved in the gameplan vs. the opponents even when not catching. Once his physical skills have eroded bast the point where its worth it, he'll likely be either a pitching coach or a manager or some role where that unadvertised skill-set is put to use.

BlindHog likes this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Wheat should be the Astros lineup going forward more often than not with Chas, Jake, Yordan and Tucker splitting up OF and the regular infield now has 7/9 with OPS above 100. Finally where we need to be everywhere other than catcher and 1B offensively. We could choose to make those spots better internally if we wanted to. Team is rounding together.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Wheat should be the Astros lineup going forward more often than not with Chas, Jake, Yordan and Tucker splitting up OF and the regular infield now has 7/9 with OPS above 100. Finally where we need to be everywhere other than catcher and 1B offensively. We could choose to make those spots better internally if we wanted to. Team is rounding together.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Since it was suggested that we would need to update these

Yainer Diaz's team ranks among everybody besides Tucker and Yordan
    xBA 1st (.279)
    xOBP 1st (.350)
    xSLG 1st (.532)
    xOPS 1st (.882)
    PA 10th (75)

His exit velocity, barrel rate, hard hit% are all better than Tucker and only surpassed by Yordan

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Season Negative WAR Totals for Astros Position Players
    2023 -2.8
    2022 -3
    2021 -1.4
    2020 -1.9
    2019 -0.5
    2018 -1.6
    2017 -1.8

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Screenshot 2023-06-12 092232.png

Purple is approximately 2023 Abreu's average xwOBA. Maldy and Julks's averages are below the purple line.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I knew the Astros were not good at base running, but....

Granted, going station to station is probably better than going full Altuve.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Every time Baker sits Diaz I want to murder him.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

An update to that previous graph....
    Screenshot 2023-06-28 091053.png

Diaz is showing major regression from the Land of Yordan to being merely one of the best hitters in the game.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If he would walk 2X a week he could get back up there to the land of Yordan. Where is the purple line? that's my favorite part of the graph. By favorite I mean the part that makes me want to blow my brains out.

Tomstro likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I didn't want to hurt my brain adding it to the Baseball Savant Graph this time. The purple line (Abreu's season xwOBA) if drawn would have moved up, but would still worse than the worst 50 PA stretch of Diaz's short career. Julks would still be below the purple line and I'm amazed Maldy's xwOBA is still good enough that it would barely make the bottom of the graph if it was placed on it.

Wulaw Horn likes this.