1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting article on Astros/Drew Stubbs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Jun 2, 2006.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

RIET --

1. Drayton didn't "break the story" that MLB pressured him. Everyone from the Houston Chronicle to Baseball America reported it that way.

2. I've never understood the b****ing about Drayton given the difference in this franchise before and after he took over as owner. It is an entirely different franchise now than it was then. It is among the very best in baseball. It develops talent well. It has made significant offseason moves. It's retained great talent. And, most importantly, it's been super-competitive for about a decade now. There are only 3 teams in the past decade that can say they've had a better record than the Astros.

3. The payroll is over $100 million this year. The team went to the World Series just last year. If you're complaining now, you'll never stop complaining. You will never be satisfied.

4. Compare him to other owners in MLB. When you understand who they are, what they spend and what they do...in the majority..you'll appreciate Drayton far more.

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

1. As I stated, every year players are paid much higher than their slot. So in the past 5 years, Drew Stubbs 2nd round salary in a 3rd round slot is the poster boy for financial scrutiny? Please. If so, as the article stated, why did McLane suddenly pay more for Troy Patton and Jimmy Barthmeir? Suddenly Bud Selig's presence wasn't scary? I dont believe it.

2. The Astros success has been 90% the work of Gerry Hunsicker and to a lesser degree, Tim Purpura. It has been Hunsicker's mid-salary wheeling and dealing that has allowed the Astros to remain ultra competitive. McLane hired Hunsicker but Hunsicker always had one eye on the door. Almost every year Hunsicker was here, there were reports of him leaving or wanting to leave.

The Astros are still on auto-pilot from Hunsicker's moves.

As the Astros age, Purpura will have to make some of the same trades that Hunsicker did to get fresh young talent. Our farm system has never been able to produce all of our talent and it takes a good wheeler dealer to supplement the roster.

It has yet to be seen whether Purpura can do that.

3. The Astros salary is complete BS and you know that. 35% of our payroll comes from 2 players, neither of whom are long-term solutions. Drayton would cut off Purpura's left nut if Bagwell would retire and Roger Clemens is a short term feel good investment. Shrewd business move which is McLane's forte.

How would I be satisfied? If the Astros maintained a Top 8 payroll consistently, for several years. That's a commitment to winning without Yankee/RedSox fiscal irresponsibility.

Of course that's just my opinion and Drayton can do whatever he wants. However, I can clearly distinguish the excellent work of Gerry Hunsicker vs the owner's commitment. And as I stated, Hunsicker was never completely comfortable in Houston.

We'll see how competitive a 14th ranked payroll will play out (which is what I believe will be the norm post Hunsicker, Roger and Bags).

#42 RIET, Jun 10, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I find it interesting that you apparently would rather see a consistent "Top 8 payroll" than results on the field. I am satisified with consistent competitiveness which I define as being in the hunt for a playoff spot in mid September. For the most part since the mid-90s this has been the case. I could care less what the payroll is and you also have to look beyond that. The Astros under McLane essentially pioneered the baseball academies in South America. Their minor league teams have historically performed well and produced contributing players as well as fodder for trades.

You state that Hunsicker was never completely comfortable in Houston, yet he sure stuck around a long time. Why would he do that? Compensation? Freedom to make moves mid-season regardless of the cost (a la Randy Johnson, Carlos Beltran, Pedro Astacio)?

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The owner's commitment is payroll.

The GM's job is to do the best he can with salary constraints. I don't think a single GM in baseball would prefer a 14th payroll over an 8th payroll. What he does with that is dependent on the skills of the GM, not the owner.

Gerry Hunsicker did the best he could with what he had and those efforts have paid off in the form of a competitive team.

As far as the midseason moves. I don't see paying a salary for 3 months as a huge investment by any owner.

You all attribute the success to Drayton. I attribute the success to Hunsicker despite the payroll limitations.

It'll be settled on the field.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not one person is attributing all the success to Drayton. We're simply defending him on a message board from sad sack whiners like you.

Like MadMax said, if you're b****ing now, you'll always be b****ing. Good luck with all that. Go root for the Yankees, whiner. :rolleyes:

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Time will prove out how valuable Hunsicker was and how without him, a 14th payroll will result in mediocrity.

But you go ahead and defend Drayton from all of us mean, mean BBS posters.

mean. mean. We're mean.