1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Instagram Stories] PJ and Harden practicing (loyalty)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Dec 11, 2020.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ahahah, funny, I see what you did there.....so, say.....a Whiney b**** (me) is calling out two other Whiney b****es......that make you happier?

;)

Kids these days.....sheesh!

DD

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

2 years, $20 million is $10 million per season, and it’s a short contract. That type of contract would not drastically impact the Rockets cap situation in the short term or the long term.

Also, $10 million per season is far below what the average role player got this offseason. Joe Harris, a poor man’s J.J. Redick, received a 4-year, $72-million extension to stay in Brooklyn. Harris isn’t Tucker’s age but, at 29, he’s not a young player with upside, either.

Patience and HP3 like this.
  3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ok, I am trying to figure out if you are serious? I do criticize some things Morey does, but Overall I give him a B+ for his time here. Just because you criticize something doesn't mean you hate someone, the world is not black and white.

Criticism means you care.

DD

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

yes. I’m willing to trade him later in the season.

PJ, relative to the best reset possible if Harden isn’t here, isn’t that important.

5. HardenVolumeOne

pj tucker has always been overrated to me, he would have shipped out years ago if harden didnt request he stay with the team. I guess now that pj knows harden is gone, he knows he wont be guarenteed to start anymore

fattz and Fulgore like this.
  6. Asian Sensation

Be careful... he’s the resident ClutchFans tough guy. He might flex on you!

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Brooklyn is trying to win now. They aren't looking for young players with upside. And you're really underrating Joe Harris. He's much more than an average role player like PJ Tucker. He's in the Eric Gordon tier of players.

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m aware that Brooklyn is in win-now mode, but that wasn’t my point in saying Harris isn’t a young player with upside. The point was that, regardless of age, fairly average to slightly above-average role players got significantly more than $10 million per season this offseason. Even if you think Joe Harris is a much better player than P.J. Tucker, there is a large gap between $18 million per season and $10 million per season. The same is true concerning a two-year contract that Tucker would likely receive compared to Harris’ four-year deal. Also, how much better than Tucker is Harris? Harris is the superior shooter/offensive player; Tucker is the far superior defender that hits corner threes at a high rate.

Also, I would rather have Eric Gordon playing his best than Joe Harris playing his best. The Rockets beat a good Jazz team in Salt Lake City last season without Harden and Westbrook playing because Eric Gordon scored 50 points. Joe Harris has never shown he can do anything like that.

#188 DVauthrin, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    HP3 likes this.
  9. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

If what he wants is around 20M/2 years like reported then that's a very tradeable contract. Look at how hard it is for the Celtics to trade for a star with only Max and Min contracts on the roster. You need those middle salary guys for salary matching in trades. That's why Miami gave Myers Leonard 12M. Add in PJs on court contribution and culture setting and that's a bargain.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Imagine you're the GM of a team looking to win-now. Why would you sign Tucker to a multi-year deal paying over $10m/year? He'll be 36 next year (which is something you can't ignore). He's extremely undersized for his position, and except for the corner 3, he's an offensive liability.

Joe Harris is significantly better than PJ Tucker.

Sure, but how often does Eric Gordon play at his best? I'd much rather have Joe Harris' average production than Gordon's.

Last year, EGO shot 31.7% from the 3pt line. Given his role on the team, that's terrible. In the few years preceding that, he was around 36% which, while decent, is nowhere near Joe Harris.

In terms of 3pt shooting for the past few years, it can be argued that Gordon's ceiling was Harris' floor.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

In those situations, don't teams usually sign 1 year deals (like Phoenix gave Ariza)?

Also, Meyers Leonard signed a 2 year deal with the 2nd year being a team option.

12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Yeah but one extra year at just 10M is hardly a big deal. That's small money nowadays and you'd probably be more keen to move him next season anyways. In 2021 where some guys make close to 50M, it's hard for anything less than 15M to be a liability.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

But if a player is likely to be trade fodder, it's beneficial for both teams to have that player on a 1 year contract.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

we have them already. Tucker this year. Gordon in 2 years. Wall in 2 years. No need to add another 3 year contract.

15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

You gotta adjust your contract scaling with the times. 10M today is 3M 10 years ago. Gordon's still really good but we have to include him in every trade scenario cause he's the only significant tradable contract. Imagine if we could offer House and the Det and Was picks for Aaron Gordon, Myles Turner, or Buddy Hield. Those are no brainers but Gordon has to be in every offer cause he's the only one who makes money. Another 10M trade chip gives you so much more flexibility in building offers.

DVauthrin likes this.
  16. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Curious whether Harden and Tucker are watching the game?
    Maybe at a strip club......

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I sit on him, he's done.

;)

DD

D-rock likes this.
  18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Isn't Tucker due to earn $8m next year?

19. riko

riko Member

Dude you are one of my fave posters here. Loved the DD after game videos you used to do . Don’t take it personally.But you do whine a lot.

#199 riko, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  20. oloboloz

oloboloz Member

No, but his cap hit is about 8m for the season, and will become a free agent after this season.