1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inside the Racist Republican Voter ID Sham in North Carolina

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Sep 7, 2016.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You do know that there is different types of voter fraud right? The specific type we are explicitly referencing(in person voter id fraud) has no empirical evidence suggesting it's a problem and it mostly has to do with the psychology of voting. The vast majority of people don't find voting important enough to commit fraud(from the individual voter perspective, not from a candidate/campaign perspective). Now campaigns and lobbyists might have interest in committing voter fraud but their type of voter fraud isn't the individual in person voter fraud that we are discussing here.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

..the 1960's?

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Theodore Roosevelt slammed the idea of the "Hyphenated-American" in 1916, saying that we'd never be the best America we could be, if we clung to our cultures of the past (PDF of speech).

He is right, and if you agree that we need to start considering ourselves "Americans" and "Men and Women" instead of "African-American," or "Mexican-American" or "Latin Man" and "Black Woman" or anything else... you're clearly a racist in their book.

1 person likes this.
  4. SamFisher

hey, listen up colored folk - anonymous internet white guy conservative has theory on race relations

We better pay attention!

5. Svpernaut

In 1960 we had 180 million residents, in 2016 we are at 323 million and counting. I stand by my claim, and the numbers prove it.

I wasn't born then, my parents weren't old enough to make a difference (both in 1950 and 1953), and when they were old enough, they did. We also have the internet, which has been shown time in time again that tyranny will be global news.

Again, at what point will it be okay to "move on" as a country? There are still racial issues today, because people keep talking about it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GeixtYS-P3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Svpernaut

No, white guy who grew up poor and a minority in his schools (Pasadena), and who has lived in Sharpstown, an area of town just 6% white since 2006... knows a little something about race.

Being white doesn't keep me from knowing, or experiencing racism... and to allude as such is... racist.

7. SamFisher

It will be OK to move on when we don't have to read herp-a-derp stupidity like this.

8. Svpernaut

You do realize I am fully behind why Black Lives Matter does what they are doing, right? Even though I think they are going about it the wrong way, I know the statistics, I am a pragmatic person - I've lived it and have witnessed it with my own eyes. Have you had a person literally murdered on your doorstep in the past year? I have. So feel free to continue to sit on your high horse and think you know me.

9. fchowd0311

It's also racist to denounce any claims by racial minorities that they experience day to day implicit racial biases because of a piece of legislation in the 60's. Just because there was a legislative solution doesn't mean the sentiments that resulted in a necessity to legislate just disappeared in less than one generation. There are still millions of baby boomers who pushed agaisnt the 60's civil rights movement and many of them have passed down their sentiments to their children. Not only that, but just like how corporations find loop holes to evade taxes, many conservative districts have found loop hoels to circumvent the statutes that the Civil Rights Act implemented.

#69 fchowd0311, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  10. Svpernaut

I don't denounce their claims or racism, I completely disagree with the notion that getting an ID, and handing it to a person to verify it is you before you vote is racist. It isn't.

Police brutality, the war on drugs, stop and frisk... that is racist. Getting an government issued ID every ten years when you live in a nation that has more modes of transportation than any other on the planet, is not racist. I am even all for people getting free public transportation and a free ID cost if they are already on government subsidies. They already do that for jury duty, it isn't that hard.

11. Svpernaut

I also completely empathize with why they might not want to do it, especially if they lived through Jim Crow... but as a nation, I think it is more important that our democracy is held up, than someone getting their feelings hurt.

12. fchowd0311

Sigh... It isn't about the principle behind photo IDs that is racist. It's the carefully calculated time and motive behind these bills that are questioned.

Many of these bills are trying to be passed right before an election which results in a large base of the voting demographic not having enough time to be informed or have a reasonable time to obtain these i.d.s. It's a reprehensible trick to prevent voting that is easily defended at face value because "BUT... it's just PHOTO I.D.S! That seems reasonable." Yup at face value, the intent seems defensible.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

This is like a 'Jim Crow' reinstatement, besides the prison complex industry.

14. Svpernaut

I understand that fact, but claiming that needing an ID is racist is basically telling a large portion of the society (who isn't paying attention to the timing) that you have something to hide. Most people scoff at the idea that it is hard to get an ID, as they should.

That's the problem with BLM and Occupy Wall Street before them. They want to garner support, but their ardent defense against anything they don't agree with turns off countless would-be supporters. The old saying "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" is an "old saying" for a reason... because it works. You have to woo the masses, it is called politicking.

There is a reason that MLK was so successful, because he was fantastic at portraying the plight of minorities to sympathizing whites in a manner that didn't ostracize the white sympathizers. Many of those whites had been there for decades, but there wasn't a true leader to get them to rise up. You fight ignorance, with intelligence.

15. fchowd0311

But you are basing your argument on beating a straw men. No one is against the idea of a photo id in itself. That isn't what people are screaming 'racist!' about. It's the motive and timing behind it.

16. Anticope

Anticope Member

Did you read the ruling? NC not only started requiring IDs but targeted and limited the ways that minorities typically both acquire IDs and vote. I think most people would be fine with requiring an ID to vote if they were very easy to acquire but that's not the case at all in states that are doing this, it's the opposite in fact.

17. Svpernaut

You missed my point, straw man or not - that is how many Americans see the ID law opposition. They know nothing about the time, all they hear about is how voter fraud doesn't occur (it does), and that people don't want to have to show an ID.

The movement is flawed, and the message needs tweaking.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So if that's what people think, maybe they should educate themselves about what the issue is actually about.

19. fchowd0311

K? And we call those people idiots who judge everything based on face value and no nuance. The onus is on them, not us to be informed. We have expltly expressed why the voter I.D. bills are suspect many many times but at the end of the day the only thing that these people hear is "minorites are too lazy to get i.ds".

20. Svpernaut

This is a country where the average American has an easier time telling you the name of a Kardashian, than they do their own congressman. That's the point. Politicians know this fact and play it up. They keep their power because of the ignorant masses, and the only want to fight that ignorance is with intelligence.

Jim Crow played on the fears of the ignorant masses, and Donald Trump is too... so that is why I laugh at people who blast my claims like I don't understand the past. This is no different. BLM and their supporters simply just don't get how to play the game.

Shouting from rooftops, calling anyone who disagrees with you a racist, marginalizing others opinions, stopping traffic on the freeway, and demanding to be heard isn't how you play the game.

You play the game by politicking. Knocking on doors, getting people behind your cause, and trying to change the system - not the people.