1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Insane Linux GUI - XGL/Compiz Beryl Project

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tbplayer22, Oct 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. tbplayer22

tbplayer22 Member

This looks insane and the guy is running it on a 4 year old P4 with only 512 MB of RAM.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lawkc3jH3ws"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lawkc3jH3ws" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sexy. Can I download it somewhere?

3. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Only recently has compiz/beryl combined source code to call it compfuzion. But yea been running that for a while now. There's also tons of other things you can do too. All you need is ubuntu and the repositories will have compiz and berly. If you have nvidia cards, id recommend compiz since it gives better support. beryl is great for both ati and nvidia users.

4. dookiester

dookiester Member

yeah so how does one go about using this? i've heard all about the brilliance of linux guis but never knew how or where to get started. can you run it efficiently on a computer that already has windows on it, or do you have start from scratch? is there like a cheatsheet of simple codes a beginner should know in order to use it?

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

dookiester, go to www.linuxquestions.org and sign up for a forum account just like this BBS. You can start reading on how to build one from scratch in there. I find it useful for medium/expert type answers to desktop and enterprise-type questions.

I don't know much GUI myself, and don't have a personal "Linux" machine, per-se, but you can run the smallest LINUX with DamnSmallLinux which is 52 MB... that's how small of an OS it can be... but you can get even SMALLER than that and still do dual boot...

Get started with the free versions of the RedHats, Fedoras, and uBuntus out there... the problem is trying to find a way to do what you want to do on it... you'll be running in no time.

I am no expert, but if the desire to learn is there, you will learn it. Cheers.

6. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

If you're interested in going step by step cookbook style instructions, there's no better place than http://www.howtoforge.com . It should give you the steps to doing what you want along with screenshots. There should be a section on the left that has all different types of OS's, like ubuntu, centos, fedora, etc. In those links you will find instructions on how to setup a linux machine in no time.

Linux is not all that difficult to get using. It might seem like a heavy task, but its all about reading and trying. You read something, you try it, you learn it. Once you've learned some command lines, you'll be thinking to yourself why have you even have a gui :p .

And to answer your question, you can dual boot Linux and windows, on install the linux OS will detect your windows OS and add it to the grub list.

7. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I JUST QUOTED A SWOLY POST WITH NO SMILIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A-Train, has this been done? I remember sometime ago there being some sort of prize or something.

Swoly, here ya go:
    :) :cool: :p ;) :D :eek:

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Nice stuff. Too bad I gave my Linux/Windows box to my gf while she waits to buy a new computer.

The cube interface to switch desktops is pretty flashy. That would've been cool if Apple's new OS, Leopard, would add this as an option.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i hope she is letting you use her box in exchange :eek:

10. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you wanna get going with GNU/Linux, I highly recommend Ubuntu. It is easy to install, the community forums are a great resource filled with friendly people, and it is easy to install and remove software. You can even boot off the install CD/DVD to try it out "live" before you install.

It shouldn't be a problem dual-booting with Windows. I did that for a while when I first transitioned to Ubuntu. You can find How-tos for both Compiz and dual-booting in the Ubuntu forums.

Note that the next version of Ubuntu, which releases in 8 days, will come with the eye-candy included in the default installation.

11. dookiester

dookiester Member

thanks for the advice everyone, I'll wait for the new release of ubuntu. i can't wait to try it out.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

For the most part. I still get the periodic 'access denied' or 'you do not have sufficient priviliges'. ;)

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Good work. You remembered. I have had streaks of no-smiley posts, but... now you have to figure out which ones have smileys and which ones don't. What's the difference?

14. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

ANOTHER ONE! They're everywhere now...

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I had Feisty but OpenSuse 10.3 is better, IMO. Hopefully Linux will make a bigger impact on the desktop when the major distros fully incorporate KDE 4 after it's out of beta.

At this point, I like OpenSuse 10.3 enough that I might not give Ubuntu Gutsy a try.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow, I can have my windows on a cube and make them wave like a flag. Crap, lemme download that!

;)