1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Injuries on the Rise from "Sack Tapping"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 3, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't even know that it was a trend among teens to go around hitting each other in the nuts.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37455920/ns/health-kids_and_parenting

Groin-punch ‘game’ harms more boys
    Injuries from ‘sack-tapping’ attacks on the rise, doctors say
    By JoNel Aleccia
    Health writer
    msnbc.com
    updated 7:19 a.m. CT, Thurs., June 3, 2010

Though most won’t admit it unless they have to, more teen boys are being treated after cringe-worthy attacks in which they’re slapped or punched in the groin, sometimes causing serious harm requiring surgery, doctors say.

An msnbc.com poll of 100 urologists, conducted by Truth On Call, showed that 30 percent of the doctors had seen or treated pre-teen and teen boys for testicular trauma in the past year, including severe injuries caused by so-called “sack-tapping,” in which boys ambush others at school and elsewhere.

Though most won’t admit it unless they have to, more teen boys are being treated after cringe-worthy attacks in which they’re slapped or punched in the groin, sometimes causing serious harm requiring surgery, doctors say.

An msnbc.com poll of 100 urologists, conducted by Truth On Call, showed that 30 percent of the doctors had seen or treated pre-teen and teen boys for testicular trauma in the past year, including severe injuries caused by so-called “sack-tapping,” in which boys ambush others at school and elsewhere.

The issue was highlighted by news last week that a 14-year-old Minnesota boy, David Gibbons, had to have his right testicle removed after a hallway assault. “This is, in fact, a form of bullying,” Atala said. “Someone may do that without realizing the consequences of their actions.”

Bruises, blood clots, testicular torsion — in which the organ twists up to 360 degrees — and, more rarely, testicular rupture, all are consequences of blunt force trauma to the testicles, including injuries caused by close-range punches.

Nearly 8,000 boys and young men ages 10 to 20 were treated for pubic region injuries in the nation’s emergency rooms last year, according to estimates from the Consumer Product Safety Commission. That’s up from about 7,300 injuries in 2008 and about 5,500 in 2007.

Most of those injuries were caused during sports or by accidents involving bicycles or skateboards, a review of cases reveals. But a growing number have been caused by so-called games known variously as “sack-tapping,” “nut tag,” or “Roshambo,” after a 1998 episode of the animated series “South Park” that popularized the painful practice.

Most young victims don’t want to admit they’ve participated, willingly or not.

Reluctant victims
    That was the case with the 13-year-old boy treated last year by Dr. B. Sophia Ford-Glanton in Hannibal, Mo. The boy suffered sudden excruciating groin pain, but was reluctant to discuss how he was injured. He asked his parents to leave the exam room and then revealed that he’d been struck during rough horseplay with friends.

“He was kind of vague about what happened,” she said.

The boy required surgery to remove dead tissue from his testicle, but was fortunate that the organ will still function, Ford-Glanton said.

“It’s hard to believe someone would think it’s fun to see how much pain someone could take from something like this,” she said.

Doctors and anti-bullying advocates say the recent rise in viral media outlets means that behaviors that were once confined to a certain school or region now spread quickly through online videos and news stories. Dozens of home videos posted to YouTube, for instance, chronicle groin-punch incidents.

Publicizing the behavior can exacerbate the problem, said Stan Davis, founder of the group Stop Bullying Now! of Wayne, Maine. Media reports may imply that the behavior is common or normal and certain language can minimize the seriousness of the actions, said Davis, also author of the book “Schools Where Everyone Belongs: Practical Strategies for Reducing Bullying.”

“No matter what playful names are used to describe this, it is sexual assault with the potential to do serious harm,” Davis said.

Still, parents, school officials and community members must become aware of the problem so that they can stop it, said Atala, the urologist.

“You need to tell children, ‘Don’t let anybody hit you there; if they do, let me know,’” he said. “We need to let them know this will not be tolerated.”

‘A reflection of our society’
    Signs of testicular injury include severe pain, nausea, vomiting and difficulty walking. Pain can last days or weeks without treatment. Testicular torsion and testicular rupture must be treated immediately, within hours, to have any hope of salvaging the organ.

Judy Kuczynski, president of Bully Police USA, based in Minneapolis, urges passage of anti-bullying laws now enacted in at least 43 states to help stem the problem. She believes only clear structure and firm consequences for egregious behavior such as “sack-tapping” will curb what she sees as a growing tolerance for cruel acts.

“If you look at everything in our society, if you look at the reality TV shows, you seen an escalation of nastiness,” she said. “Our kids are only a reflection of our society.”

© 2010 msnbc.com Reprints

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I didn't know about this ethier till in September on the first day of PE my teacher said, "I know what you kids do, you guys in the locker room sack tap each other, well I will have none of that, does the term Twisted and suffocated testicle mean anything to you"?

3. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/83nMi9xUies&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/83nMi9xUies&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

4. conquistador#11

The new pencil break?

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they must really hate this guy

[​IMG]

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

forreal!

Are kids THIS BORED!?!?!?!?

Rocket River

7. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

Worst thing I have ever read in my life.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Like so many trends, this one was started in Germany.

[​IMG]

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

WTF? How is this even cool? :confused:

10. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yes, but "bracing" is allowed.

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Bullying and weird homoerotic pranks...seems like they've always been around.

Didn't someone around here say they used to play spank the elephant in the locker room or some weird **** like that?

12. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Caucasian?

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I can't even make it through the article. Cringe worthy.

14. YaosDirtyStache

I remember bag tagging many a-people in my day back in highschool. Bag Tagging was my specialty...probably still is but I am a bit rusty. I want to bag tag all day but it is not becoming for a 23 year old to continually sack assault someone in their no-no zone.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

There was a scene in the beginning of Superbad where one guy was chugging a beer and another guy "sack taps" him. I thought it was funny, but didn't really get it. Even an accidental graze if I scratch my thigh can cause me to almost throw up.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Where is that Sam Fisher anyway?

DD

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

More exciting then soccer?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TW4pnC1xDQY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TW4pnC1xDQY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Go figure the guy with the burglar's bandana wins.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He had the reach, and quicker moves. A deserving champ.

20. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member