1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Infrastructure, Infrastructure, Infrastructure

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 20, 2021.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honestly the D&D is getting really boring. Only a few good faith conservative posters with a ocean of trolls like @HardenVolumeOne and @dachuda86 and I just don't feel like debating people who are trolling is worthwhile because I know I'm replying to someone who actually doesn't believe in the stuff they type.

Nook and ryan_98 like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Trolls, yes, but I keep meeting people who really believe lots of crazy shiznit.

For example, did you know that all these new "Covid" hospitalizations are not sick from the virus, they are actually sick from the vaccine? All of them.

Nook, Invisible Fan and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

Apparently my sperm doesn't work anymore also. The things I hear on Facebook....

ROXTXIA likes this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, at least they toldt'choo. So now you know.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

That's a shame.... mine look like Bill Gates now...

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spread for profit? How they making money off of this? Again it hurt their economy. They vaccines they created aren't as effective as those from the US and they are giving them away at a loss.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Sure they lied and covered it up. The CCP was even forced to apologize to the family of Dr. Li Wenliang who was one of the early doctors in Wuhan who warned about the virus but was silenced. He died from the virus.

If we're talking false narratives it makes 0 sense that they would deliberately release this to take down Trump. Why release it in the middle of their own country in a second tier city? It would be like saying that the US wanted to take down Xi Jinping so the CIA released a virus in the middle of St. Louis. They could've easily released it to some US tourist in Beijing or Shanghai or HK for that matter. If it was meant to be a bio weapon why create one that less than 1% lethal and 80% of the time doesn't cause severe symptoms.

The false narrative here is deflecting blame by buying into a preposterous theory. Again it's not much different that the CCP claiming the US created it.

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

An open letter to my US Representative Ilhan Omar MN 5.
    Representative Omar;

In 2007 the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi collapsed into the river killing 13 people. That bridge was in the district that you represent and a district that I lived in then and still live in now. While that bridge was replaced there are many more aging bridges out there along with many other pieces of vital infrastructure that is dangerously aging or cannot meet the demands that the 21st infrastructure requires. The bipartisan infrastructure bill represents the best opportunity in decades to replace crumbling infrastructure but also build infrastructure that will help us face the challenges of a changing environment. It will also address economic and environmental justice by providing more access to better water, power and broadband to many communities that have not just been underserved but harmed by failing infrastructure.

As an architect who has worked on disaster recovery, I’ve seen firsthand how much damage poor and failing infrastructure can lead to. As someone who has traveled frequently to China I’ve seen the massive new infrastructure projects that they have built. They are building high speed trains, getting internet to their most remote regions, and building massive green energy projects while many Americans still can’t get clean drinking water. To put it simply we as a country are falling behind many other countries in building infrastructure for this century.

I understand that the Build Back Better Bill (the $3.5 trillion infrastructure bill) addresses many of these issues and much more. I understand that the issues of childcare and other “social infrastructure” issues are very important. Holding the Bipartisan infrastructure bill hostage to the other bill though risks having no infrastructure bill passed and leaving the US further behind and many Americans stuck without reliable water, power, internet or even safety from the changing climate. On the political side games of brinkmanship and all or nothing positions are why many Americans detest politicians.

I know that you were elected to make revolutionary change and as such feel that anything less isn’t worthy of your position. While the Bipartisan bill isn’t as large of a change than the Build Back Better Bill it still is revolutionary in its scope and there has nothing been like it in Congress since before either of us were born. Supporting this bill is far from a failure but represents a major legislative achievement. More than that it’s a statement that DC isn’t completely dysfunctional but that members of both parties can come together and do something for this country. Finally passing the Bipartisan Bill doesn’t mean the end of passing the Build Back Better Bill or the issues in that bill.

Failure to pass any infrastructure bill in this term of Congress will likely politically doom any chance of getting further infrastructure passed. While you might still win your seat voters in many districts will not reward Congress for its failure. By 2023 you might find it much harder to get any of these issues passed and yourself in the minority of the House.

As a one of your constituents, I ask you not to give up on the Build Back Better Bill but not continue to hold up the Bipartisan bill. As a representative your job is to help your constituents and this country. This bill will do so.

Andre0087, adoo and bobrek like this.
  10. fchowd0311

Seems like a upper middle class individual who doesn't need assistance with child care.

See the thing is without the fillibuster reform, there is a near 0% chance for all the social "infrastructure" like child care. The Democrats have the house, senate and white house. The GOP at the very least legislate their agenda when they have control of the federal government using any means necessary. If you are worried that if both sides use the same tactics that that erode our federal legislative institution just look at pre Nazi Germany as a case study of what happens when the left is ineffective and can't pass anything because of petty infighting and procedural nonsense allowing the conservative right to do as they will and step all over them.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If the Democrats can get no infrastructure bill passed this term do you think that improves the chances of getting things like childcare passed?

Narrow control of all Congress doesn't always translate to getting everything passed. If so then the ACA would've been repealed in 2017 and the Wall funded.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They should have focused on healthcare and education. Those costs are growing out of control. Number 1 should have been medicare for all. Once it is passed its never going to be repealed just like Obamacare.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Since you're bringing up class, failing and underperforming infrastructure hurts the poor most. Consider which communities are hurt the most by poor drinking water, have the hardest time dealing with dislocations from disasters, and use public transportation the most.

14. fchowd0311

That's the issue. The "moderate Dem" are bringing up a false binary choice. If they truly wanted to they could do both. They have the ability but Joe Manchin feels there is no immediate necessity for robust child care expansion and climate change initiatives. We can do these later apparently whenever later is.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

M4A would not pass. But a public option would IMO. I think we are seeing now that Kyrsten Sinema would be a hard no since she is bought and paid for courtesy of big pharma.

I think more than anything though a "Jobs" bill is something Biden has always wanted to do as his legacy next to FDR, and LBJ.... and he's not wrong that if you can get it done, and huge jobs bill historically is what really does carve out a nice spot in history for you... along with civil rights, and you know... fighting Nazis.... something is going to doing too it seems. But I think "Build Back Better" was supposed to be a jobs bill, and then just got called infrastructure because it could gain "centrist" support if it was called that.

But on your point about healthcare... you 100% correct on substance. There is no greater way to impact peoples lives then relieving them of having either no health insurance plan or some BS high deductible plan that most people get stuck with, and being able to give them the option of moving to a much more reasonable public plan. Obviously M4A would bring the cost down the most because the pool would be the largest, but you would need a Democratic super majority of almost all progressives who do not take money from big pharma.

So yeah I personally would have rather seen a Healthcare bill get passed first. It's what I need more than anything in order to get my household economics under control for sure, and finally get our health the amount of attention it needs since we rarely go to the doc, and are putting off procedures because of our craptastic high deductible plan.

Andre0087 likes this.
  16. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know you mean well with this, but it really feels like you're passing blame for the current deadlock on the progressives instead of the so-called centrists. The progressives have cooperated every step of the way on this and have been 100% clear and consistent on what they value in the legislation. The centrists, on the other hand, have been vague, refused to establish what they support (vs what cost they won't support), and have changed their stances at the last possible moment multiple times.

In short, it's very clear to me that the centrists are trying to torpedo the whole thing, couching their vandalism in false concerns about cost and generally acting in very bad faith. It's clear that they've been paid off to destroy any chance of Democratic legislation, and I wish the citizens of this country would recognize it.

Invisible Fan and ThatBoyNick like this.
  17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Katie Porter nails it

18. Major

Major Member

This simply isn't true. They had the WH, House, and 52 seats in the Senate and had campaigned on repealing Obamacare for years and couldn't do it. They campaigned for decades on entitlement reform and could never get anything done. They couldn't get much of their wall or anything else done on immigration reform. The only things the GOP has successfully legislated in recent memory is tax cuts, which are super easy to sell. Can you name any other significant piece of legislation they passed?

#398 Major, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  19. Major

Major Member

Have they, or have they just made their stances clear in private instead of negotiating in the media?

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/...-topline-number-to-schumer-this-summer-514803

Manchin proposed $1.5T top-line number to Schumer this summer

The West Virginia senator has been distributing the document to Democratic colleagues and leaders in recent days to underscore that he has outlined his red lines on President Joe Biden’s jobs and families plan. The one-page understanding is dated July 28, right before the Senate passed a bipartisan infrastructure bill that Manchin helped write and ahead of Senate passage of a budget setting up a spending bill as large as $3.5 trillion.

In the document, Manchin proposes raising the corporate tax rate to 25 percent, the top tax rate on income to 39.6 percent, raising the capital gains tax rate to 28 percent and says that any revenue from the bill “exceeding” $1.5 trillion will go to deficit reduction.

Everyone seem to be at fault here - the progressives need to pick a few of their leaders and have them sit down - in private - with Manchin and Sinema and figure out where things are and what can be resvoled. Biden, Pelosi, and Schumer need to be involved as well, but they ALL need to be in the same room. Sniping at each other and making threats in the media is getting everyone nowhere and not going to get them any closer to a resolution.

ElPigto likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I’m happy we finally have a counter pressure to combat the “centrist” from tanking bills aimed at improving the quality of life for the poor and working class. Big thanks to Omar and all the people who voted her and the other progressives into congress. Hopefully they can make a difference.

subtomic likes this.