1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inflation at its highest in 40 years…

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 10, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

Letting China and Russia gain power on the world stage is making America great again right? I bet you think we should roll back the tariffs on China to help teh poorz.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Speaking of bullshit.....

Autocracy and authoritarianism is on the march again. Should we also roll back the China trade war because it's adding to inflation? Decisions... decisions....

DaDakota and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

LOL....

"Hello, Russia? China? You win!"

-Mojoman

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't know. It's above my pay grade to know how that would fit in the "Liberal World Order."

He'd be better of leading with what you're getting at. "We're commited at finding every means for lowering gas prices (maybe lie), and we're pursing a policy of finishing what Putin started and returning Ukraine back to the Ukrainians.

He didn't say that.

Instead it was flipped into a weird America Knows Best policy (the lib cousin of America First) with a goal of taking Putin down a notch. That makes all the difference.

And the way he delivered it...what a maroon. What an ignoranamus.

Americans right now might not really give two craps about Ukrainians if it'll save ten bucks at the pump (which a 200k earner would scoff at), but we're all moralistics who will sacrifice to spread fredums and justify costly forever wars for it.

The liberal world order is something else entirely.

The former might provoke disengagement and disapproval. The latter is just pure outrage.

I hope you have never used "false equivalence" as a rebuttal on this board...

If Biden Admin is truly commited in finding all means towards reducing prices at the pump, there are a host of non green measures he can announce and decree by executive order. It would be meaningless in the short term but spark condidence in the energy industry (golden parachute) while going directly against what he's said before. It would also piss off a lot of green progressives.

China's trade war tiff with tariffs is miniscule compared to their lockdowns that siezed up their ports. Now that they've begun reopenings, shipping costs/cargo rates are decreasing and are almost down half its ath from last year.

What you're attempting to get at is if, let's say...China invades Taiwan, then should we and the west roll out punitive embargoes that will inevitably nuke marlets and the world economy? **** if I know, when or if it happens, but it hasn't.

What I do know is that these Russian embargoes are really our choice, Europe is squirming or choking from them while we transfer our now limited supplies at greater cost to them, and it's those same loose rules that allows India to refine Russian oil and essentially come off white labled if Indian tankers show up at our ports.

#1004 Invisible Fan, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Astrodome likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

And yet you made the claim about Ukraine anyways.

Well what do you think the "Liberal World Order" means? You think it means "liberal" like "Democrats"? Or something else?

It was also snippet about overarching policy. I don't disagree it was a poor soundbite but I think it's just being twisted.

You mean like directly releasing oil from the strategic reserve? The problem is the Biden administration is juggling many policy shifts, all of which are inflationary.... bringing manufacturing/supply chains back to the US is inflationary.... fighting climate change is inflationary..... and now we have a major energy shock. Not to mention a very strong dollar (which we have) makes imports cheaper and goods made in America more expensive.

The China trade war did drive up the cost of imports during Covid as China imports ballooned before levelling off more recently. However, if we aren't trading with China then we are paying more for goods elsewhere than we were.

The war in Ukraine and the downstream effects is causing snares in Europe:

There’s a massive pile-up of car, furniture exports bound for U.S. and it’s spreading across European ports

Well yes, that's the point of alliances and the point of consequences against powerful authoritarian countries invading and taking over their neighbors. It is our choice to punish an historic foe in Russia and it was our choice to start a trade war with China due to them being our strongest geopolitical rival.

Nature abhors a vacuum and countries like Russia and China will gladly fill it. America, Western Europe, and democratic Asia (aka Liberal World Order) has been caught flat footed as we ended up relying too heavily on our true rivals.

rocketsjudoka and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@dmoneybangbang largely responded as I would but I'm not asking your opinion of the statement but if you actually believe that the Ukrainians wouldn't be allowed to make peace with the Russians because the US just wants them to keep fighting. It sounds like you don't or you don't know. Fair enough.

That's a strange and very provocative statement to make if all you're doing is speculating on something.

7. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Please log off whatever conspiracy websites you go to

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Here is a white house spokesman on CNN. If I were to "logoff," this is what I would need to logoff of.

As you can see the support of the so-called "Liberal World Order" is not only the official, publicly stated policy of the United States, as stated by the white house; it is also the policy of the US that this is a priority that transcends inflationary concerns and the devastating financial effects of high gas, food and other prices this are having on well more than half the country, especially the working classes and lower economic classes.

If you refer to this as a conspiracy again after this, you will be lying straight through your teeth.

These people are monsters.

9. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

It's very unfortunate that guy used the words "liberal world order" because it's the sort of thing conspiracy nuts will absolutely run with (granted it's dumb we have to tailor our speech around conspiracy nuts but whatever) but go look up the definition of liberalism and ask yourself why someone may think it's a good thing that most of the world follows that philosophy, even if you disagree with them thinking that, and ponder if there are answers other than "They are part of some secret cabal that controls the whole world that only one or two posters on a Houston Rockets forum and some dark corners of twitter know about", and please ask yourself which is the most likely answer

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he should have beefed it up with "incredible transition." ;)

11. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I'm legitimately not sure what you're getting at here. I don't speak in conspiracy

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

high gas prices are a key component to our "glorious and incredible transition" to a "liberal new world order." In other words, a utopia brought to us by inflation and high gas prices. ;)

enjoy your 4th!!

ROXRAN and MojoMan like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Inflation is a world wide issue, Biden has no control over it, the Dems tried to pass a tax on the excessive profits that Oil companies are taking but the GOP voted it down.....

The GOP is bought and paid for by big business....they don't care two ***** for the public.

DD

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Great post.

For something to be a conspiracy, it is by definition something that is done covertly, or in secret. This is not being done covertly and, as the video that you posted so excellently illustrates, it certainly is not a secret. Just the opposite in fact. It is the stated policy of the United States, on video for all to see, and not just this video either, there are plenty of others that convey the same priorities and commitments.

When something becomes the official policy as stated by the white house, on video repeatedly for emphasis, then it is not a "conspiracy," it is an agenda. '

But that is confusing for the poster that you were replying to, because that contradicts the corporate media "narrative" that he basing his opinions on. That corporate media narrative is of course (take your pick) fake news, misinformation and a lie, which sadly has become their ordinary behavior.

15. dmoneybangbang

Apparently you prefer a Russian/Chinese World Order or you are just a dull boy. ;)

16. dmoneybangbang

We get it.... you prefer a Russian and Chinese world order. You prefer stealing elections and corruption over a rule based system.

FranchiseBlade and cheke64 like this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

jeez, the margins on running a gas station are razor thin, and multimillionaire Biden is telling them to take a hit?

#1017 Commodore, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    ROXRAN and Astrodome like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Putin's price hike

290632965_570914567829479_2115248624285344951_n.jpg

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Yeah, when I saw Biden start blaming the gas station owners for the price of gas, I thought one of two things:
    1) This is totally dishonest attempt to persuade the dumbest Americans and divert blame away from his disastrous energy policies...
    and/or
    2) Biden and his handlers are EVEN MORE STUPID than I could have ever imagined and they have no understanding of the energy markets whatsoever.

Maybe it's both. Kudos to Jeff Bezos, a Democrat, for calling out this dishonestly. It's just not good for the country. We need solutions, not dishonest attempts at misdirecting blame. Biden caused this by provoking Russia (See Nov 2021 strategic cooperation agreement with Ukraine), discouraging oil & gas production for years and years (ESG movement), cancelling oil leases in America, and shutting down pipelines... among other actions. Democrats have the worst energy policy imaginable and now the lower and middle classes must pay the price (soaring inflation).

ROXRAN, Space Ghost and Astrodome like this.