1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inflation at its highest in 40 years…

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How do your students respond when you do this to them? I am sure you love the debate it sparks.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think students like the debates as well

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you use this forum to test out debate ideas to use on your students?

4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

occasionally. also to stay current on things to discuss. and to see what types of attitudes, beliefs, and arguments that might occur

Nook likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nook likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Nook likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

I have to genuinely wonder if they're bought by insiders to act this stupid in order for someone to make a killing out of their moves.

Nook likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I know this isn't necessarily Mojo-worthy, but still mildly amusing

290836453_1937257913130149_8310078033879634037_n.jpg

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Just get a Tesla or a Chevy bolt with mass battery recall issues and don’t complain about “market value” you good for nothing peasants Or else pay that $8 per gallon gas and carry on demit! It’s so simple that California is the blueprint formula of a utopian society

12. dmoneybangbang

The whole "buy a Tesla meme" just illustrates how certain folks aren't capable of complex thought. Just like "learn to code" completely went over the heads of simple thinkers.

Accountability has just flown out the window with conservatives. There's a certain entitlement that permeates through conservative-dom, like the world isn't a complex place that is constantly evolving, but is a place where things can be frozen in time.

jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  13. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Oh oh I missed this thread, I can ask my question that's gone ignored in two other threads!

What's the Republican plan to get inflation down that's being pushed for the midterms? Has any Republican up for election in 2022 introduced a concrete plan to get prices down? What will electing Republicans do to make my grocery store bill cheaper?

I'm not even asking in jest, I genuinely want to know the plan! There has to be one right, since they are complaining so much? Here's a Democrat introduced plan I really like, that also covers things the Biden admin has already done as well as things they could do to further help- https://newdemocratcoalition.house.gov/download/new-dem-inflation-action-plan#:~:text=“The New Democrat Coalition knows,looking solutions to the problem.

Is there a Republican equivalent? I'd love to know! Complaining isn't the same as policy

TheFreak and ROCKSS like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

Unfortunately, they don't need a plan just bad mouth the other side and point fingers. It's a strategy that has worked well the past few decades.

Invisible Fan, ROCKSS and jiggyfly like this.
  15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

When is this great plan going to happen by the Democrats?
    BIDEN’S ECONOMIC CRISIS BY THE NUMBERS:

• Inflation is a tax on ALL Americans.
    • Inflation has increased every month of Joe Biden’s presidency.
    • In March, the CPI increased by 1.2%. to an annual rate of 8.5%.
    • March was the largest 12-month increase since the period ending December 1981.
    • Inflation has risen dramatically since Biden took office.
    • This massive level of inflation is not the result of a so-called “Putin price hike,” but the failed policies of President Biden and House Democrats.
    • Due to a 40 year high level of inflation, some economists estimate that the probability of a recession in the next 12 months is as high as 70%.
    • Real wages have decreased under Biden 9 out of the 13 months since his first full month in office.
    • Real average hourly earnings decreased 2.7%, seasonally adjusted, from March 2021 to March 2022.
    • Since Biden came into office, real wages have declined by over 3%.
    • Earnings are not keeping up with inflation.
    • Americans are paying more for just about everything because of inflation:
    • 2021 went down as the worst year for inflation since 1981.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I wonder how many working class Americans are going agree with this kind of thinking. Not very many. And with elections coming up soon. These quotes should feature prominently in anti-Democrat campaign ads over the next four months.

Biden: High gas prices to last ‘as long as it takes’ for Ukraine victory

American drivers will have to endure high gas prices for “as long as it takes” for Ukraine to defeat Russia’s invasion, President Biden told reporters in Spain Thursday.

At the conclusion of this week’s NATO summit in Madrid, the president was asked by New York Times reporter Jim Tankersley about the surging price of oil as a result of Western sanctions on Russia in response to its Feb. 24 assault.

“The war has pushed prices up. [Oil] could go as high as $200 a barrel, some analysts think,” Tankersley said. “How long is it fair to expect American drivers and drivers around the world to pay that premium for this war?”

“As long as it takes,” Biden answered. “Russia cannot, in fact, defeat Ukraine and move beyond Ukraine.

17. Invisible Fan

Powell is Trump's hire. Him and Steve-O engineered the largest public wealth transfer to private hands in the form of taking over hundreds of billions (along with trillions in asset swaps) worth of underperforming junk bonds to baip out and juice the 2020 markets, of which a 540 billion dollar bill has come due. Good thing the TBTF Bailer Outer is Even Too Bigger Too Fookin Fail.

Thanks Orange Brando?

Yellen tho...insert 'old owl lady wut' meme.

There is a trend. Both sides look clueless as the rich 'somehow' get richer in National Crises.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

Which any objective person would realize is just timing and most of which would be happening regardless of administration.

19. dmoneybangbang

What happened in 2020s? Covid? Where most of the world's economy were shut down? Something we haven't dealt with in modern times?

I think in hindsight we pumped too much money into the system from a monetary and fiscal perspective, which is probably an overcorrection from 2007/2008 when we pumped too little into the system. However, as an upper lower middle class dude from Austin, I also got richer because I had dry powder to put to use due to prudent money management.

I'm not really a big believer in nefarious, cigar smoke filled rooms where the elites pull all the levers. The rich/elites always get richer and that's just how it has always been. What I am a big believer in are supercycles, that is we had a supercycle of benign inflation for about 30 years due to globalization and monetary policy which is changing. Onshoring/bringing supply chains home is inflationary, climate change will be inflationary, less immigration is inflationary, etc.. We got a lot of inflationary trends picking up that weren't there for the last 30 years.

20. dmoneybangbang

Like Russia couldn't use energy as a weapon again and again if we do nothing about Ukraine.....