1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inflation at its highest in 40 years…

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 10, 2021.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

That stopped a long while ago. What is the repugs excuse now?

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Are you projecting a significant demand issue in 6-9 m?

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

With inflation we get the benefit of seeing it first hand. Gas prices can go back down though and they already have. So can milk, wood, etc.

Also if you work in corporate America you see two things as well:

-companies across the board are hiring. Under 6 figure jobs there’s typically a shortage of labor. Over 6 figure jobs are available but competitive.
    -companies are still queasy on spending and in holding patterns with big investments. Everyone is trying to gauge when to pull the trigger.

It’s the pandemic stupid. It’s as simple as that. If travel and safe face to face interaction came back tomorrow you’d see a cascade of corporate spending that’s been measured back for 2 years now. In the pandemic ending we should also see cheap imports flooding our market driving down prices.

This isn’t that complicate… but what is complicated is this stupid F-ing virus.

jiggyfly and Deckard like this.
  4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Why would we see significant layoffs with such high demand for goods and services? Perhaps if one of these variants is deadly enough to warrant another shutdown then I suppose it could happen. But barring that people and companies have money and want to spend and invest which creates jobs.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Must be that Halo infinite came out

When they should be working at their local restaurants cause people are hungry

IBTL likes this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

clearly you have no idea what ur talking about

ever heard of ​
    • supply chain bottlenecks, an aftermath of Trump's ineffective trade war

Newlin likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Demand is elastic. Take a look at TP and paper towels demand in March 2020. I expect to see the same backlash to be exposed in the next 4 to 6 months. Supply chains issues should be resolved in the next 4 to 6 months outside of a few outliers. Businesses that have over purchased inventory will have to start selling off excess inventory at a discount.

No reported deaths from Omicron (im a little sus of this). We shouldn't be shutting down because of Omicron, so if there is a shut down, it needs to be justified.

Nook likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, workers are down. Many of these folks were part of the labor pool in years past. With the influx of people into our country, you would think that labor participation would be at an all time high. We have issues.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This is the problem with the US and what Russia wanted since the beginning of the cold war. When you stop trusting even the most consistent measure, everything falls apart. You have to trust in the system for things to work. When you don't trust science, statistics, government, institutions, and start trusting politicians, pundit shows, talk radio, comedians and random tweets, then the world goes to ****.

Think about how much influence Rush, Tucker, Rogan, and Chappelle over people like Fauci over matters of science, you are pretty much F'ed. Fauci isn't always right but at least his "opinions" are educated.

I love the internet because I can find out answers and data for almost anything. However, I didn't realize that a large part of the population are too dumb and old to figure out how to use it. As I mentioned before, we talk about swallowing tide pods, but I see more stupid things from old people than I ever see from young people on the internet.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's a growing problem. It used to be skepticism, which can be healthy. It has now grown into automatic mistrust and worse, trusting some of the craziest sources.

The tide pod example is a different problem though. No one said eating tide gives you a superpower or is safe. There wasn't a disinformation campaign. It was simply kids taking on a very risky challenge. Kids have been doing this for ages. Most of these risk-takers eventually grow up. It's a bigger problem now with social media (eg tik tock challenges) since it's so easy to challenge this whole group and it spread so fast.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tucker is talking out his ass as usual.

What is the current 10 year treasury yield? 1.48%. Fixed income financial markets are currently unconcerned about inflation. It is just like the savvy investors who drive the fixed income markets do not think the current inflation will last long. Just like.

#32 No Worries, Dec 11, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I disagree. People reassessed their situations and decided to retire. Which is a great thing.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/economic-synopses/2021/10/15/the-covid-retirement-boom

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You think the access retirement has to do with Covid or the fact that the stock market and housing market skyrocketed and what was a 1.5 dollar nest egg became a 3 million dollar nest egg in a matter of 2 years. I know more than a few people that retired in the last few years because of the stock market and housing market windfall.

Rileydog likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Gasoline prices have been higher than today. Before the great recession of 2008 a gallon of gas was $4 and so was a gallon of milk.

The price of oil had driven up prices on everything. How is inflation more today than before the great recession?

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Inflation and supply chain issues are still a problem - :gas prices while easing up a tad are still about 70 cents per gallon higher than the last administration…a 2017 F150 for my business use cost me $27K, now it’s $47K if You are lucky to find it… A sheet of 1/4 inch plywood that once cost $12 only two years ago at Big box stores now cost double… You’re more than likely to find items that you can’t find at the grocery store than ever before and of course they cost more…. Inflation is very real

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You think a $600 check is the source of inflation and not a shortage of a lot of goods and services?

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You just have to make more money

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

simple solution to a simple problem ;)

Roc Paint likes this.
  20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I try to keep things simple for the masses

Os Trigonum likes this.