1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Indrek Wichman: Michigan Professor tells Muslims, you don't like it here, leave...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IzakDavid13, Jun 28, 2012.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The professor should be allowed to say what he wants and so should the students.

2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

As a Christian I live my life based on the new testament teachings of Jesus Christ, I try to be a reflection of Christ...usually come up very short.

And yes, I am a fan of the Old Testament. Why is that a problem?

I have read the Quran and it fails to live upto mohummad's claim of being a holy book given by God, that was given to confirm the scriptures of the Old and New testaments.

From a purely moralistic point of view, who would be the perfect person to emulate? Who's example would be better to follow? Jesus or Mohummad.?

Jesus said to follow him, that he is the way, the truth and the life...

The Quran says that Mohummad is a perfect man to pattern your behaviour after in the Surat Al-Qalam - The Pen & also in Surat al-Ahzab...

In fact the quran says of Mohummad that he is ...of a great moral character.

So they question I ask is whose moral fibre, or way, if you had to make a choice, would you believe is the better choice to pattern your life after?

Jesus or Mohummad?

3. Nook

Nook Member

4. IzakDavid13

Exactly.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrahamic_religions

6. IzakDavid13

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

so you do acknowledge that the same stuff you bash islam for is present in the old testament?

8. IzakDavid13

To answer your question, No I do not. They are both completely different books.

Can you point to any statements where I've bashed Islam?

And you didn't answer my 'Jesus or Mohummad' question...why is the question I posed so hard to answer?

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't know who are you arguing for. Jesus and Mohammad according to you sounds the same to me.

10. IzakDavid13

[​IMG]

Hard question to answer?

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

"IzakDavid" (out of 13) sounds like a Jewish sounding name to me....

Why does it matter who's a better person to follow? As long as you follow either book's better principles in your heart and share same degree of compassion both held, things will usually work out.

The Bible is vague as hell. Even a genius wouldn't find the best or rightest conclusions. Quit trying to pretend moral superiority through clarity...

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Following fictional people out of a book

yeah. no

13. IzakDavid13

Wow, the one question that has everyone on clutchfans scared as hell!

Sidesteps, dodging & squirming!

It is funny, no one can answer the question that I have posed.

14. IzakDavid13

Now that's out of the way, if it was left to you to have to choose to model your life after either Jesus or Mohummad, which do you see as the better choice?

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's not a hard question to answer

I don't know much about either of those book characters, and from your vague ass description i would definitely follow Mohammad since he is of great moral character.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

1st bold) Just a comment
    2) Both have made ****ty decisions. Then again, the contributions both religions have made through their civilizations have been numerous. I can't really say it's a X vs. Y argument.
    3) Are you a literalist?
    4) Why do you think Christianity is the better religion, if you do?

Such a weird question. Do you have a time machine or recordings for me to use? Or do you mean based off the books I've read of them? I really don't know enough of either, so it's not a question I can seriously answer Both of their fans say that they're compassionate and peaceful. That's cool then as their followers don't always show either.

I'd rather try to strive for the best qualities of both and not pretend that I could be either.

17. IzakDavid13

That's 1-0 for Mo.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

IzakDavid,

If you believe that the Old Testament and Quran are significantly different, then I think perhaps you are ignoring some key facts. Any objective comparison of the two books shows an incredible amount of similarity, EVEN in terminology, sentence structure and intention. IMO it is the New Testament which differentiates Christianity, and it is the Hadith which differentiates Islam. What I find particularly interesting is that the New Testament and the Hadith are both compiled long after any of them could verify it, and after anyone who witnessed it directly could verify it, at times when recording things was extremely problematic.

Moreover, you must understand that Jesus in Christianity is not the equivalent of Muhammad in Islam. This is a common error. According to the Quran, Muhammad is a regular human chosen to deliver God's message. His "perfection" is limited to deliverance of the message, and does not extend to the person as a whole. There are verses in the Quran showing that Muhammad indeed erred on multiple occasions. Jesus on the other hand is not supposed to be a regular human, and he is part of a Holy Trinity which includes God and The Holy Spirit. Mind you, God and the Holy Spirit both exist in Islam but they are each separate and distinct entities.

The comparison causes a lot of problems. The comparison is as faulty as comparing Allah to a disciple of Jesus. Muhammad is not a content creator, just like a disciple is not a content creator. Jesus is supernatural, Muhammad is not supernatural. This is an absolutely critical flaw in your argument and it is a shame if this misunderstanding drives your hatred of Islam, and hence severs your relationship with Muslims.

What really shocks me is that you believe you are trying to act like Jesus in "strongly disliking" an ideology that cherishes Jesus, and disliking the Quran which mentions Jesus more times (all positive) than Muhammad.

Christians and Muslims have behaved the same when the circumstances have been the same if you look at history. Islam is still in its relative infancy and will gravitate towards more peaceful interpretations, just like Christianity did. I would imagine that a Christian would recognize this and if I were to guess WWJD, I would say he would befriend and guide Muslims towards development, and he certainly would not be hating their ideology and hating their beliefs and trying to garner hatred towards it with false generalizations.

Anyways, I am sure Muslims and Christians will both have a problem with what I've said, so I just want to make it clear that this post is for discussion with Izak and I'm not really interested in discussing the semantics of the differences/similarities between Christianity/Islam with the wider BBS. My own opinion is that religion was a great invention, and we now have the ability to study a variety of religions in detail, and what we should learn from studying them is the historical development of individual/group principles, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each in the context of our own generation. I think that while religions may have come from a divine source, they lost their divinity the moment they were transmitted by regular people, and so I have a hard time having true faith in them. Especially now that I am convinced that religion doesn't have a monopoly on connecting to the source and the product of creation.

19. IzakDavid13

I read this and will share...
    Christ did obvious miracles, mohammed did none (except the 'miracle of the koran', only considered a miracle by muslims)
    Christ was sinless, mohammed was not. (He says even he has to pray for Allah's mercy to get into heaven - muslims are aware of this)
    Christ's birth was miraculous (virgin), mohammed's was normal (copulation).
    Christ preached denial of the flesh and kept no wives or wealth. Mohammed preached the same and had lots of both.
    Christ healed many and killed none. Mohammed killed many and healed none.
    When attacked mohammed preached vengence (self-defense), Christ said to love your enemies and pray for those who hurt you.
    Christ taught a consistent God who never changes his words. Allah told mohammed that verses could be changed at Allah's will. (Sura 2:106, 13:39, 16:101, 17:86).
    Christ walked what he talked, mohammed widely overstepped his own imposed limit on wives (limit - 4, mohammed 11-13 depending on who you talk you and several concubines).
    Christ cursed a fig tree, mohammed cursed the whole of judaism and christianity (his last words. - "O Lord, perish the Jews and Christians. They made churches of the graves of their prophets. There shall be no two faiths in Arabia.")
    Jesus said to befriend people, mohammed said to segregate yourself (sura 3:28, 4:88)
    Jesus said marriage was binding, mohammed permitted 'temporary marriage' (muta) to his soldiers (off fighting without wives around) who were sex-deprived (Volume 7, Book 62, sahih bukhari hadiths)

Just saying.

Thank you Mathloom.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I actually have more of a problem with the Muslim Association if they just went directly to the school. While the professor's views are narrow-minded and generalizing, it is a feeling common with many Americans.

IMO, the Muslim Association should be trying to change people's opinions on these views. For an Engineering professor, they should be able to convince him with sound logic on why it is not fair to generalize Muslims based on the actions of the few, as well as many unseen problems within the Arab world that people need to take into account when judging the religion. To automatically denounce the professor isn't going to make the problem any better, but probably worse.