1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Indianapolis Colts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Dec 6, 2005.

?

If you were the coach, what would you do?

1. Rest them. Going for the title is bigger than 16-0.

9 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. Play them. 16-0 has only been done once before.

38 vote(s)
    55.9%
  3. Let the starters decide. Those that want to go will play, those that don't will sit.

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What would you do if you were the coach, rest the starters or risk them for 16-0?

Dungy Unsure of Resting Starters

INDIANAPOLIS -- Tony Dungy treats the mounting questions like he's a politician.

Everyone wants to know how the Indianapolis Colts cope with the pressure of staying perfect one more week. Dungy usually responds with a tactful touch.

But there is one question that makes the Colts' coach groan: Will he continue playing starters if the Colts clinch the AFC South title, a first-round bye and home-field advantage this weekend?

"I don't think too far ahead, but I do everything I can to win," he said with a chuckle. "If we're fortunate enough to win, I'll do what I do every week. I'll ask for some wisdom from the Lord and pray that they don't get hurt."

Playing it safe might be the only remaining obstacle between the Colts and a perfect season.

At 12-0, they've already secured a playoff spot. A win at Jacksonville on Sunday would give them the division title, a first-round bye and home-field advantage for the playoffs, making their game in Seattle on Dec. 24 their final one on the road.

So far the Colts have been fortunate. With a month left in the regular season, the only significant injuries have been to their safeties, though two of their top three seem to be healthy each week.

With two-time MVP Peyton Manning, two-time rushing champ Edgerrin James and record-setting receiver Marvin Harrison again playing at Pro Bowl levels and others like receiver Reggie Wayne and tight ends Dallas Clark and Bryan Fletcher continuing to emerge, the Colts' offense seems virtually unstoppable. They lead the NFL in scoring and are averaging more than 35 points over the past nine games.

The defense has been impressive, too. The Colts have allowed the second-fewest points in the NFL (162) and lead the league in sacks (39).

But as well as they have played, those who know the league best understand the Colts must stay injury-free to make a Super Bowl run.

"If they continue to stay healthy, with what they do on offense and with the speed they have on defense, they're going to have a chance," Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher said after his team lost 35-3 in Indianapolis on Sunday.

What's Dungy to do?

If he tries to go for the perfect record and a player like Manning or defensive end Dwight Freeney gets hurt, he'll forever be second-guessed. But the same thing could happen if he decides against a chance at an undefeated season: a mark held by the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

It's a tough call, especially since Manning, James, Harrison and Wayne recoil at the thought of missing practice time, let alone sitting out games.

"Those guys want to play, and they want to play all the time," Dungy said. "We don't let them vote, but we will take into consideration how they feel."

Dungy has said he will do what he's done in the past.

A year ago, with the Colts locked into a No. 3 seed and a likely first-round playoff game against Denver, Dungy played Manning and James for one series in the last regular-season game and benched most of his starters for the second half.

In that case, the Colts didn't have a bye.

Sitting out starters for the final two or three games of the season, with a likely bye, poses another risk: his top players could come into the playoffs rusty after not seeing significant action for nearly a month. That's what happened to the Denver Broncos almost a decade ago when they lost in the divisional round to Jacksonville after earning the AFC's top seed.

"There's not that many guys who have been in this situation," Dungy said. "The one guy I know is Mike Shanahan, and I don't think he'll tell me at this point. I think you have to analyze the situation and do what's best for your team."

Shanahan's Broncos (9-3) are tied with Cincinnati and Jacksonville for the second-best record in the AFC.

With records, potential performance bonuses and history all at stake, Dungy would rather wait to make up his mind.

Then, he'll have to make that delicate decision.

"To be honest, I don't know how I'll handle it," he said. "You never really know 'til you get there."

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The Colts should follow UT's lead from Saturday.

Start the starters, run up a huge lead, then rest the starters.

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Rest? This is what they get paid millions of dollars to do... screw that rest crap.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

they also get paid to win. I wouldn't blame him. his ultimate goal is the superbowl. if they lock up home field early, and they will, he shouldn't play the starters no more than the first quarter.

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Finn's first round pick was Edgerrin James. I say rest all starters!!

6. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I have Marvin Harrison on my fantasy team but I say bench the starters after this week. My main competition has Peyton Manning & Reggie Wayne on his team but thats life.......................

7. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Is Arizona anyway .....

play the starters up by 35-3 halftime

take out the starters

win 38-6

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The 2nd choice in your poll is technically incorrect because no one has gone 16-0 in the regular season before. The '72 Dolphins went 14-0 and then won all 3 of their playoff games.

Considering that there are 2 extra games now and in this age of salary cap parity, I think Dungy would be nuts not to try it. Besides if they are successful, we will never have to hear about how all the surviving members of the '72 Dolphins like Larry Csonka, Bob Griese, Bob Kuechenberg, etc. get together to pop the cork to champagne when the last undefeated team loses. :rolleyes:

9. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Who gives a flip.

They're going to lose the AFC Championship.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Why would you...You don't want to lose your timing, etc...Let them beat the crap out of everyone and see what happens...The moment you let your guard down, forget about it...

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Super Bowl = great respect
    Undefeated season = immortality.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

To who? In the past years New England was always in their way. I don't see any team in the AFC that can stop them this year. They are head and shoulders above every other team so far.

13. JamesC

JamesC Member

If it gets to that point, I say treat it like a preseason game. Let them play the first quarter or whatever, then take them out.

14. droxford

droxford Member

Winners come and go.

Legends live forever.

15. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Undefeated season + super bowl = immortality.

Undefeated season - super bowl = overrated.

16. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I'm pulling for them simply for the fact that I don't want to see those losers from the 72 dolphins team popping champagne.

17. Christopher

Christopher Member

They are football players.

So play some damn football!

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

If you think it will be to the Broncos, it isn't happening. The Broncos don't match up well with them just like all the other AFC teams (including New England this year).

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

So to achieve immortality you have to win all your games right? ;)

20. JamesC

JamesC Member

I think if it gets to that point, Dungy should leave it up to his players. Let them vote on it.