1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Indian Doctor Lowers the price of heart surgery

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Nick

Nick Member

So you're for lowering the standards to becoming a doctor in America? Its competitive because you need intelligent people to be the ones saving lives... and it takes a degree of self-motivation to get through the long hours and several years of training to get to the finish line. Your travel workers biggest hardship is travel. A resident physician has to work his ass off AND do it in multiple locations before he can finally settle down.

Foreign medical graduates are plentiful within the US health system... a lot of them have to restart their training however to conform to the higher US standards. Again, things designed to protect the patient... to not put them in harm by being treated by sub-standard physicians.

Also, doctor's salaries have gone down exponentially over the last 20 years, so I'm not sure the "shortage" is what is keeping the salaries where they are. Physicians work more now and get paid less across the board.... and its continuing to get worse.

But, you're right... there is a shortage... there's also less and less qualified US students who want to go into medicine. There needs to be more medical school and residency programs, facets controlled more by government issues than healthcare politics. But even once you get increased physicians to meet the demand, salaries should still be reflective of the overall work one does.

#41 Nick, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  2. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I saw some of those cars while in India - they're pretty much larger scooter engines in cars - they're very unsafe and are horrible..horrible..horrible for the environment. So bad in fact, that the government actually discourages people from buying them. They wouldn't pass even the lowest safety or emission standards in the US.

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

some people become doctors for prestige.. like their and their family's lives would not be fulfilled if they didn't

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Look up a cardiologist a lot of them are indian with MBBS from indian schools.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you want to you can go to one of those schools in the caribbean. You don't have to be that smart. There are plenty of students who want to be doctors, but the AMA does a good job of limiting the number of doctors. If you can get a 3.5 and 28 on the mcat I think you should be able to get into a med school, but if you are indian and you get those scores you probably won't get into a good school.

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Are dumb asses on a sports messaging board arguing that a normal joe who put in hours of work and dedication to study and make something of themselves shouldn't get paid? The same message board that worships people who make MILLIONS a year? Seriously?

8. da1

da1 Member

Sounds like an entitled attitude to me. And again compensation should have nothing to do with why someone becomes a doctor but you're proving my point. A lot of people work hard nothing makes doctors special to me they are a dime a dozen.

9. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

For those in the field, What is the difference between doctor's who work at world renown or posh hospitals versus those in a more humble setting? Is it something a doctor with better connections would pursue to guarantee a high volume of patients with more money or does it not matter with insurance? Which setting receives more malpractice suits?

I think surgery requires skill, but everything else is done to cover symptoms so big pharma can rake in cash instead of the root cause that leads to surgery. Pretty ****ty field if you ask me.

10. da1

da1 Member

I feel the same. The surgeons should get true respect, but the other docs are pretty overpaid for basically diagnosing people. I'd like to see how much they would get paid without AMA's bloated procedural costs.

11. Nick

Nick Member

Those graduates face an uphill battle when it comes to applying for competitive specialties and top notch training programs. It's also inherently a more competitive med school environment since they have to weed people out.

I would advise somebody to switch professions if they can't get into a US med school. It's not worth all the extra effort/stress to end up with limited specialty and job options.

12. Nick

Nick Member

And yet it's the surgeons seeing the biggest salary decreases while there are greater incentives for primary care docs with the new healthcare laws.

13. Nick

Nick Member

Sounds like you're well prepared for the future... Getting diagnosed by a nurse and getting your surgery with third world technology/standards.

I take a lot of things for granted... But healthcare, and the standards/guidelines that govern them, is not one of those things. Just like you wouldn't take your car or computer to just any corner repair man, and you wouldn't let just anybody handle your finances, you should also be pretty choosy about who's managing your health.

And current medical school graduates would never make it all the way through if they were doing it simply for the money... But just like any other profession, they're likely not going to stick with a job that consumes their lives unlike most other jobs, for less than most other post-professional school career salaries.

#54 Nick, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

This sounds like an interesting idea but I would have to know way more about the cost cutting measures before trusting myself or a loved one to Dr. Shetty. For example while they are limiting AC to only the operating theaters and ICU AC is more than just a luxury but part of the overall treatment as controlling temperature affects metabolic rate, pathogen incubation and spread. Also in something like a hospital the AC is tied into overall air handling and if they are skimping on AC I am wondering if they are also skimping on air handling and filtration. Given we already have drug resistant pathogens showing up in hospitals around the world the lack of proper air handling in other spaces in the hospital might add to that problem. Just to add that anyone who works in IT knows that AC isn't just there for human comfort and considering Dr. Shetty wants to improve automation to lower cost not having AC in much of the hospital could hamper that.

15. Nick

Nick Member

I'd be more worried about him obtaining the "sterile" disposable drapes from some third-party vendor. You want to talk about possible bacterial sources, you should never skimp on sterile technique.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Yes that too. In my work I deal with HVAC systems so that was the first thing that caught my attention.

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

So an extra $102,000 for sterile scrubs and air conditioned hallways. Sounds good to me.

To me, the difference in costs between the US and Canada alone show a hugely flawed system. You can't tell me a top doc in Chicago is worth twice as much as a top doc in Vancouver.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a4J.ER8r4CrM

18. Nick

Nick Member

Blame the insurance companies, hospitals, and big drug companies. It's the biggest cluster-**** in this country.

The government is also to blame for not regulating any of this till it got out of hand. IMO, it's a far bigger deal than the stupid housing crisis that was due to everyone's ignorance.

There's also better access to preventative care in other countries that decreases overall incidence of heart disease. Lastly, people outside the US take better care of themselves and seem to care more about their health than people in this country... This thread helping to prove that point.

19. da1

da1 Member

Agreed