1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Indian Diplomat Arrest, strip search in NY triggers uproar

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by sugrlndkid, Dec 18, 2013.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/17/politics/india-us-diplomat/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

read this yesterday, its a bunch of B.S. She was living in the U.S and breaking the law.

The hypocrisy from India is hilarious. Girls get raped to death, smaller scale of outrage and less steps taken. Poor people in a respective cast subjected to far worse everyday, no outrage. While she lives here, diplomat, or no diplomat, she needs to follow the laws.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I came to this thread expecting newds

I leave disappointed

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

strip searching someone for visa fraud seems a bit over the top.

would hit.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm with the Indians on this one. Diplomats should not be arrested. If a diplomat commits a crime, expel him from the country. If its a serious crime you want to prosecute for, expel him from the country and then apply to extradite back to the States for prosecution. We have a lot of diplomats out there and we don't want them subjected to any kind of bullying by foreign governments or even mistaken mistreatment that can sour relationships. If we set the example by arresting others' diplomats, we make it easier for other countries to rationalize arresting ours.

6. Major

Major Member

We didn't "set an example". This is a consular officer - not someone with diplomatic immunity. It's standard procedure to arrest them if they commit a crime.

7. JuanValdez

I should be more careful with my language. She has consular immunity. And they did things by the book. I still think it is unwise to arrest consulars on charges like this because we don't want our people arrested in foreign countries. I prefer expulsion.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think she had full diplomatic immunity.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/18/justice/indian-diplomat-immunity/?hpt=hp_t1

If I was Obama I would tell Manmohan Singh that we don't treat our servants like 2nd class citizens.

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

When in America she should be treated the same .

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I totally find it ironic that an Indian American, the federal prosecutor from the State of NY, is the one that formally pressed charges against this lady...

11. Major

Major Member

I understand the sentiment - but I also think that solution sends a bad signal to your own people. You're basically telling US citizens that you value consular officials more than your own people. They get special rights, they are allowed to get away with crimes, etc.

I do think the crime itself (underpaying a housekeeper) is a sort of weird. I didn't even realize that we actually arrested people for that. It would be more of an issue if she committed murder, for example. I think the American people would not be OK with simple expulsion in that scenario.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

She was practicing the caste system on American soil. Totally unacceptable. I am glad they arrested her.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I believe the bigger issue is that she brought someone here illegally?

14. Major

Major Member

You're correct - this is what I get for skimming the article.

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

its not ironic. Most people that come here from India know how ****ed up it is when it comes to discrimination and treating people like the "untouchables" and bottom feeders in the cast system. True its not as bad as it used to, but the sentiment is still there in a de-facto sense. This prosecutor knows that they get away with it in India and wanted to make sure she didn't here. Good for him/her.

1 person likes this.
  16. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

exactly.

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Dumb entitled ho thought she was in Mumbai.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

At least she didn't get raped.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why did they strip search her?

20. JuanValdez

I kinda get the feeling the arrangement with the domestic was an au-pair-style thing. She's underpaid if you calculated hourly wages, but she's also given room and board, use of the car, etc. I can't tell if the arrangement is actually exploitative or not with what limited things I've read.

Given the Indian reaction, I'd say the whole thing wasn't worth it. Surely, there was some under-the-radar way we could have handled it without causing a foreign affairs scandal. We could have undid the visa fraud and employment relationship and asked the Indian government to reprimand her in some fashion -- crime stopped, perpetrator punished. Now, she's famous.

To make sure she didn't bring any contraband into the jail population.