1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Indian-American overcomes race to become La governer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewYorker, Oct 21, 2007.

1. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

We don't live in an ideal world. The fact is he is showing us how to make race a non-factor, by just being excellent - if you do that, and you show that you are indeed like everyone else though your relations and philosophy - than race does become immaterial.

But that fact that an Indian-American from the republican party is governer of Lousiana is quite remarkable. It's astounding in fact and deserves a call-out.

2. NewYorker

Obama won is Illinois, not Louisiana. Tiger Woods wasn't Jackie Robinson.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so in otherwords we needed this thread 60 years ago when jackie robinson was around. thanks.

4. NewYorker

Sounds like your a bit envious to me. Why rain on someone's parade? Diminishing the success of another minority? Why do that?

Do you feel slighted because someone who's black hasn't won over a conservative white majority ever to win an election? Well, it's rare, and it's not about race dude. That's my point, it's about being excellent.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think New Yorker thinks of something logical and rational to say...then types the exact opposite.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'm not diminishing the success of another minority. you're the one calling out black leaders in opposition to his success, so I'm asking you point blank what your point is. seems to me this thread was some attack on black people.

i don't know who this guy is and don't give a crap

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you're the guy bragging about the guy's race saying race doesn't matter :confused:

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Man being dragged behind truck: Ah, help me!

New Yorker (from truck bed): Well now, don't try to make this about race. This is about you not being excellent.

Man being dragged behind truck: What?! Ahhhhh! These crackers are killing me!

New Yorker: No, that is just your excuse. If you had initiative, or at least superpowers, you would break this chain by flexing your ankle muscles and fly up in front of the truck and kick its ass! Do you think Chuck Norris would sit there being dragged around? He never let his race get in his way, even that time he was an undercover illegal alien in Walker, Texas Ranger. So you should be governor of East Texas after you crush this truck with your hands.

Man being dragged behind truck: WTF! (dies)

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very good point. If hadn't posted the utter garbage in his 2nd post about, "crying about one's race as a handicap is utter bull", this thread may have stayed on track. But he hijacked his own thread. Obviously there is a major part of American life that he knows zero about, both what happens to people and how 99.99% react to it.

Some people are just ignorant. Others put it all full display.

All of that said, I'm glad Jindal won and want to see what happens. From what I understand of his agenda, he is in for an extremely rough ride and the honeymoon may not last very long. IMO, he got elected because many circumstances intersected at just the right time. It wouldn't surprise me if people turn on him very quickly and his shallow (and fairly broad) support vanishes. Hopefully that won't happen and he will make a big impact that improves the state.

10. NewYorker

Haha. nice one. you're finnally getting it!

11. NewYorker

What black leader was opposing this? none.

why does the success of an Indian American turn into an attack on blacks? I think now I understand why you're diminishing his accomplishment....you're taking it as an attack on blacks.

Well, that's in your head....I'm just saying that much of what people cry about is so slight not to bother with. I mean, things like the Imus case. Things like Fuzzy Zoeller. And things like macaca.

So now all of a sudden that means i'm advocating Jasper Texas and the KKK? You guys are dense. You've missed my entire point. I'm talking about glass ceilings here, not freaking actual racist acts that result in death.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

we're not laughing with you

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no, I'm make it a little easier, you brought up black leaders as an opposite to this guy? why did you specifically point out jackson and sharpton? what do they have to do with this guy.

if you can't answer the question because i called you out, don't respond by saying everything is in my head when everyone else could see what i'm seeing.

14. NewYorker

i am laughing. really thanks for the chuckle.

I love how you guys think racial comments that people complain about are the same thing as dragging someone from a truck.

Talk about distored reality! Man, that's hilarious.

What's so hard to understand that people can be successful and it has to do what's inside, and what on the outside is just proof that the color of your skin is more mental that real.

Sure, there are people who can hurt you for your race - no one denies that. And there are backwards places like Jasper Texas and others where you'll get beat up for your race - I know, I lived in both Louisiana and Texas.

But the fact is, no one can stop you from being successful, and many people blame their race for this, and this guy shows it's not true.

People place the race card way too often, but please, don't use ridiculous examples to make your case. Not only is it disingenious and so obvious outside the realm of what we're talking about it, it's just is foolish.

15. NewYorker

i brought them up as opposites to farakhan dopey. pay attention.

Bobby Jindal isn't a civil rights leader, he's not trying to advance Indian American issues. He's the example of success.

I'm talking Louis Farakhan vs. Jackson and Sharpton. Get it right bub.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you're funny, you say its not about race, and you're secretly implying that all black people complain about race (at least that's what we'll all agree till you address why you specifically mentioned the people you did)

second of all, I never said anything about jasper, so please stop attributing that to me

thanks in advance

17. NewYorker

no, i'm directly implying that Many black people do have this idea that "the man" keeps them down.

That the "man" puts alcohol and drugs in their communities. That they don't get a fair shake. and all that. that's the stuff that's nonsense. There is no "man" man. That's what I am saying here.

Now you can disagree, fine. BUt please, make your point and be done for crying out loud! (ha!).

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and lastly, have you ever heard of barbara jordan, mickey leeland, shirley chisholm?

what has this guy done differently from them?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

thanks at least you're finally being a man and admitting why you started this thread. so don't b**** when it goes off in the point you intended.

carry on

20. JustWannaChill

Newyorker is a known troll. Whoever argues with him is like talking to a wall. He'd ignore your reason and respond with his BS.