1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Indian-American overcomes race to become La governer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewYorker, Oct 21, 2007.

1. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

October 21, 2007
    Indian-American Wins Vote to Be Louisiana’s Governor
    By ADAM NOSSITER
    NEW ORLEANS, Oct. 20 — Bobby Jindal, a conservative Republican congressman from the New Orleans suburbs and the son of immigrants from India, was elected Louisiana’s governor Saturday, inheriting a state that was suffering well before Hurricane Katrina left lingering scars two years ago.

Mr. Jindal, 36, defeated three main challengers in an open primary, becoming this state’s first nonwhite governor since a Reconstruction-era figure briefly held the office 130 years ago.

With more than 90 percent of the vote counted, Mr. Jindal received 53 percent, above the 50 percent-plus-one threshold needed to avoid a runoff in November. He will be the nation’s first Indian-American governor when he takes office in January.

Mr. Jindal’s victory over a state Democratic party weakened by perceptions of post-hurricane incompetence and corruption was expected, as he has had an overwhelming lead in polls for months. The incumbent, Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, hurt by stumbles after Hurricane Katrina, did not seek re-election.

The ascendancy of the Brown- and Oxford-educated Mr. Jindal, an unabashed policy wonk who has produced a stream of multipoint plans, is likely to be regarded as a racial breakthrough of sorts in this once-segregated state. Still, it is one with qualifiers attached.

For one thing, he is by now a familiar figure in Louisiana, having made a strong run for the governorship in 2003, though losing to Ms. Blanco. Before that he had held a series of high-profile administrative jobs, including state health secretary at the age of 24, when he earned a reputation for efficiency — critics said cold-bloodedness — for slashing a bloated budget, cutting jobs and lowering reimbursements to doctors.

For another, he did not have the support of a majority of the state’s blacks, about a third of the population, who vote Democratic.

Yet Mr. Jindal, with his decisive victory on Saturday, appears to have overcome a significant racial hurdle that blocked him in 2003, according to analysts: race-based opposition in the deeply conservative northern and eastern parishes of Louisiana that once supported the Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke.

A born-again Roman Catholic, Mr. Jindal made a particular campaign target of these areas, visiting them frequently and bringing his brand of devout Christianity to their rural churches. His social-conservative message — teaching “intelligent design” as an alternative to evolution in public schools, a total ban on abortion, repealing hate-crimes laws — would have been welcome in these areas.

Mr. Jindal campaigned as a cautious reformer, promising a more ethical government, for example, with greater transparency from lobbyists and legislators. His extensive résumé helped him project an image of competence, as did his detailed if conventional policy prescriptions — both evidently appealing to voters here weary of missteps in government since Hurricane Katrina.

But he faces significant challenges. He takes over what is now the nation’s poorest, most uneducated and most unhealthy state, by a number of important measures.

Cleaning up the Capitol in Baton Rouge, which Mr. Jindal has promised to make his first order of business, is unlikely to be regarded as a top priority, as it hardly has been in the past, by a Legislature jealous of its perquisites.

Mr. Jindal has promised to focus resources on the state’s ports, roads and research universities, which have received little state investment. But again, parochial interests and factionalism in a state with strong regional and ethnic divisions often work against these broader initiatives at the Capitol.

And Mr. Jindal, as a fiscal conservative, has had much to say about what he terms “out-of-control spending” but little about a regressive tax structure that relies heavily on sales taxes.

2. NewYorker

Truly remarkable that he was able to win in areas that supported the Ku Klux Klan.

He's living proof that the color of ones skin doesn't define anyone, and at the end of the day, crying about one's race as a handicap is utter bull.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think Jindal is counting his lucky stars that he wasn't elected in 2003. After Katrina, politicians in power were hammered from both the right and left. If I remember correctly, he lost the vote by a few percent in 2003 to Blanco.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Believe me, I despise it when people falsely cry racism. But for you to say that this one case negates the very real instances of racism that happen, you are an idiot. The fact that people cried about racism is what caused the progress this country has seen the last 40+ years. The fact that people continue to complain about it (when it actually happens) will further the progress. On the other hand, people that cry race when it isn't applicable harm their own cause.

Congrats to Jindal! Funny thing is, the very probable reason he didn't win the runoff in 2003 was because of his race. The turnaround from the first round was truly stunning. Fortunately, he's been around long enough that the people of Louisiana are now comfortable with him. He's also fortunate Blanco was such a disaster. Louisiana made a good choice this time.

5. NewYorker

When people cry that race is what prevents them from going anywhere in life, that's usually a lie, it's usually their own failure.

Bobby Jindal didn't cry about his race, he went out there and made a difference and showed people how to overcome racist views. Not by crying and saying La is full of racists.

He's an example on how to deal with racism. By not crying and blaming life, but by setting a great example. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think he dealt with issue of him being different by assimilating with the Anglo movement in this country by converting to Christianity. Do you really think he would have had a chance at Governor if he were a Hindu? Also do you think the people would have elected someone named Piyush rather than Bobby?

I think Jindal is a very clever, clever man. He will go far in politics b/c he is both super intelligent and knows how the system works.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is a time to cry, a time to not cry. Jindal knew good and well if he brought the issue up it would be political death. He's a young guy with a long future ahead of him and he made the right decision. In other situations much different from this, crying is called for. It depends. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

Many times people cry race and use it as an excuse for their own failures and it hinders their life. This is a sad truth. But when crying is called for and it causes change for the good, we are all better off. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

Then there are times when crying isn't the best thing to do. One can realize they have a justifiable right to cry, but it still would not be the correct action to take. Sometimes (not always) keeping your mouth shut is best. This happens quite a bit also.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Like the 06 congressionals, people vote past their partisan feelings when incompetent or corrupt leadership overruns government.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While Jindal is a good sign that racism is going away in the US I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that crying racism is BS now. The fact that it continues to be an issue shows that it still exists. While we've made great strides as a society I don't think we're quite yet totally beyond race when it comes to evaluating people.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

True story. I actually hooked up with Bobby Jindal's sister in law in Austin last summer. She's originally from New Orleans, and after I banged her I remember her telling me about helping out with the campaign stuff.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

^ Wow! Now that's what I call door knocking for support.

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The first black man to win a us congressional seat was back like in 1870. Is that when Racism ended?

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

What implications, if any, does this (a Democratic state electing a Republican governor in the face of the Bush discontent) hold for the coming Presidential nominations? I wonder.

14. NewYorker

Yes, well, if you are obviously getting fired for race and not performance issues, than go get a lawyer, but to go home and mope and say you can't succeed because of race is utter bull.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Whatever! :rolleyes: The only "bull" was your sweeping statement in the earlier post. There is also a lot more to racism than getting fired from a job.

16. NewYorker

so what? if someone makes a slight about you based on your race, what are you going to do? you can spend your whole life focused on fighting every slight you perceive from everyone or you can focus on being successful.

It's up to you.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Probably not much. This wasn't a comment about Bush but more about the failure of the Blanco governship.

18. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Not to diminish his accomplishment or the great implications it has, but don't many people consider Indians to be Caucasians?

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Oh really? Wow, that's profound. That's exactly what millions of people do each and every day.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I'm not that sure. I too deduce that the anti-Blanco tidal surge was too much for her to compete against. However, i'm also sure Blanco is as corrupt as her long line of predecessors (Republican and Democrat alike -- it's just a corrupt state ;) ). Remember, many Louisianans were as upset with Bush/FEMA as they were with Blanco and the New Orleans mayor.

My point is that the GOP may not be as weak as I (and a lot of others) think it is.