1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In your profession, what problems or frustrations do you experience most

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swag, May 26, 2017.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

"This was the only time slot available" is the usual excuse. Well yeah... people usually don't book meetings during 11:00am-1:00pm because that's when they eat lunch and/or go to the gym, morans.

It's a petty complaint I know, but damn we have so many of these things. In my 5+ years the only town halls I've actually wanted to be at were the ones about upcoming layoffs. Otherwise you can just send me these slides about our performance metrics and upcoming ventures or strategy changes in an email.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

I haven't been a server/bar tender for 6 years now and i still get the reoccurring nightmare of being in the weeds. Terrible.

Being in sales, the biggest annoyance is when prospects take a year to fill out the application. You don't want the deal to go cold, but you also don't want to piss them off by Being too pushy. Delicate situation.

pugsly8422 and Swag like this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Having a gossipy female boss. It was honestly the worst thing I have ever gone through in my life. I never participated in it and just let her know that I was not on board with it. Our relationship turned to complete $h** from then on after. It made my life absolutely miserable so I left the job.

Had two job offers within two weeks and one of which was higher paying with a management figure who had the reputation for being gossipy. I ended up taking the lower paying job with a manager who is all business and as Clyde would say, a "consummate professional". Never been happier.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

In higher ed?

1. Tunnel-visioned, self-righteous professors (my colleagues, yes). This is by far the main thing I don't like about the job. They can spend infinite time and energy on quixotic quests on low-stakes issues, or in a vendetta against other professors who may have slighted them. I've never really understood or befriended many other profs. I just don't get them and don't feel that I'm one of them. I stay b/c I really like the teaching, the students, and the long leash of working on research projects.

2. Rising bureaucracy and swelling ranks of non-academic staff driving up the cost of running the institution.

3. The lack of an ability to deal with / help mentally ill students.

Overall, I feel very lucky. Blessed, you could say. But I do work hard, contrary to popular sentiment. :)

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being a replicant, I have no problems or frustrations....;)

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

How did you find out about the management figures rep for that other job? Knew someone at that company?

7. tmacfor35

I work in the home industry. It is a tight knit group and its easy to get an idea of what you are walking in to.

8. droxford

droxford Member

I like my current job very much. My biggest complaint with it right now is...

Do your work. If you need to schedule a meeting with Fred, schedule it. If you need to call him, call him. If you need to email someone, email them. If you don't understand something, find the answers. Figure it out! Get it done! I don't want to have to babysit you to ensure that the work gets done!

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Sounds like women's work.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Having to explain to people why their house burned down is the most obvious one.

EssTooKayTD likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

Lot of women do work in the industry.

Average income is around 178k as of last year.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

where does that figure come from? serious question.

13. tmacfor35

Well I guess I need to be more transparent.

My builder employs 96 sales reps. Sales volume is public within the company as is commission rates.

That's where my figure comes from.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Home industry huh.... is that a generic term? Or just for those who work at home and from home?

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

got it! just curious, thanks.

16. tmacfor35

My industry involves selling new homes to people.

It's the best kept secret in the world. Now you know lol!

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. body slam

body slam Member

Incomplete or incorrect blueprints, drawings, instructions, directions, whatever. You talk to an engineer, architect, whoever is in charge and they can not answer the question or say just make it work. You tell them to put just make it work in writing or email and you never hear back from them.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The specific job function is seen by many as a stepping stone to a significantly more lucrative and superficially prestigious role depending on the size of the company and its utilization of financial products to supplement operations and direct supply. I think having already gone through all the hassle of trying to get finance roles in college I'm a little more sensitive to some of the social stuff and outright condescension that crops up when there are advancement opportunities available or someone who worked in that "side" of the business comes into our department. The worst is when a wave of new hires come over from the same department at some other company that since bankrupted.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

People. Just people. Computers are logical.

jae713 likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Today it's once again my renegade dipshit jakeleg absentee chisler of a neighbor who won't do anything about his pathetic starving cows tearing up my fence trying to get to food. I don't blame the cows, they're a ****ton smarter than he is. I'm ****ing furious, but I'm not sure I want to involve Johnny Law and escalate things just yet. I've got about 10 different neighbors on 3 different places and this is the only one who sucks. Law of averages I guess.

[/vent]

jae713 likes this.