1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In the market for a tablet...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

...and I'm curious to know if this is a good deal?

I don't necessarily need a laptop or tablet immediately, but I think my current computing device is on it's last legs. And the following deal lasts until 7/6. Costco (the store offering the cheapest deal) is selling the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 for about $520 (was $649 with a $130 discount), while Samsung is selling it for $550.

Is the price good for a tablet like this? I'm not that news-savvy, in that I'm never good at predicting if new versions of tablets come out soon, or not.

Like, I'm afraid this tablet is so cheap because a newer version is coming out sooner than later.

Anyway, specifications:

Android 4.4 KitKat

CAMERA RESOLUTION (FRONT)
    2MP

CAMERA RESOLUTION (REAR)
    8MP with Flash

INTERNAL MEMORY
    3 GB RAM, 32GB

MAIN DISPLAY RESOLUTION
    2560 x 1600 Pixel

MAIN DISPLAY SIZE
    12.2"

Has a Quad Core Processor

Yay or nay? I tried demo'ing it in-store, and I really liked it, but I wondering if other tablets are better. $500+ is a lot to drop on a tablet, imo. Wondering if any of you have experience with the 12.2 or Samsung tablets in general.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

This isn't a thread just to help me. I'd like people to post reviews of their current tablets.

First post was just to gauge a response to a particular tablet, is all.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

At 12.2 inches, I would probably buy a surface 3 pro. Why be limited when small form factor isn't an issue.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Glanced at those online, and they're outside my budget. Even the one with the least memory and the slowest processor (when compared with the S3P's other models) is already $800.

The hype is real though.

5. HPD

HPD Member

Take handle bars

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What are you going to do with your tablet? If all you are going to do is watch videos and surf the web, you don't need to spend $500

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

if you don't mind a refurb of that same tablet at $135 less...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...ro-12-2-from-ebay-for-385-with-free-shipping/

their source link in the blog post is dead, but they're referencing this listing...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131205870063?nav=SEARCH

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Samsung note 3 is phenomenal, so I'd imagine the 12.2 tab is same software but bigger device. Great for work! If you're only using it for fun, maybe use something cheaper.

9. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I just picked up a refurb Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition for $300. Quickly installed a custom recovery and installed the MagazineUX custom ROM on it. It is beast; 4-apps split screen mode that was only available on the 12.2" Note Pro with the goodies that comes with a rooted ROM (Wanam Xposed, etc)

If you fancy yourself some note taking or some drawing, I suggest the Note 10.1 2014 or the Note Pro 12.2 (which is a bit pricey at the moment). Otherwise, shoot for the Tab Pro.

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I just got a Galaxy Note Pro 10.1. I think it's pretty nice though mainly I've just used it to read comics. Previously I had an iPad 1 and an iPad mini 1, which I also liked but I wanted something a little bigger this time.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yeah, I'll probably look to get something cheaper. Keep those anecdotal reviews coming. Kinda surprised I haven't seen anyone say "you can't go wrong with the iPad yet" or something to that effect.

12. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

13. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

If you're gonna shell out that much for a tablet, why not put in a little more for a laptop?

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

iPad or iPad mini. You won't be disappointed!

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The new 8" Nexus tablet might be announced in a couple of months that will be made by HTC if you can wait it out for that. Those are usually good priced too.

16. The Boz

The Boz Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 15 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Ultrabook.

I was looking for a new tablet for my plane trips but kinda fell hard for this. 3 USB ports, 1TB HD, all the goodies, flip it around for touchscreen and I can use it as a laptop when needed. I couldn't find many reviews online but my techie friends swore it was an excellent purchase for my needs. Really not looking forward to learning Windows 8.1 though. It's out for delivery right now, kinda excited.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Win 8.1 is actually great on touch devices, and with the recent updates its almost equally as intuitive with a keyboard and mouse. With the convertible/combo devices you really he the best of both worlds. The OS has come a long ways since the initial release of Win8. If you run into any issues or have questions, feel free to shoot me an email.

1 person likes this.
  19. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Wow only $800 for that! Still haven't gotten over the current standard of computing power/$.

Personally though, I'm sold on the Surface Pro 3, even if it's going to cost double this IdeaPad for what amounts to just a thinner device.