1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Need of a Point Guard: New York Knicks Should Consider a Jeremy Lin Reunion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Linsanity, Jun 7, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Lin, Asik, picks and cash would work contract-wise.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That is true, but he was saying Lin for Melo straight up. As long as we don't get any bad contracts or give up picks that's a deal I would love.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Possible if the Rockets are already way below the cap by trading Asik for a bag of beans to another team. If the Knicks want to save some money because they're rebuilding, the Rockets can trade Asik to the Celtics for their TE and a 1st. Then trade Lin, Jones, several 1st rounders for Melo. I'm not 100% certain this will work, but quick glance at the numbers it should work.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Trading Asik alone wouldn't get us under the cap enough. We would go from ~$64 to ~$56 million. When you're under the cap the trade you make cannot push you more than $100,000 above the cap. So if we dumped Asik, then tried to do a Melo for Lin straight up deal it would still not work. I could be wrong, but I tried to understand the Coon CBA rules faq

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I was assuming the Knicks would want the Rockets salaries like DMo, Jones, 1st rounder, etc. Which would make the salary work. But yes, if you keep all of those and just trade Lin, then no.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Melo for Lin, Asik and 1st round pick.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

How does Melo help the Rockets D? Rockets had leads in almost every game in the playoffs, what they needed were stops. Points were not the problem.

And with a Lin trade, who will be the Rockets 6th man? Losing Lin is more than just the loss of bench scoring, but playmaking and chemistry.

Plus Melo is a volume shooter, does that mean less touches for Howard (the most effective player in playoffs)??

1 person likes this.
  8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

How does Lin help the rockets D? When you have 3 allstar level players the need of a sixth man either comes through one of your three big shots or is looked at as less of a need. The team needs to buy into making defense a priority more so than just saying one particular guy can't play D. Overall this team would be a heck of a lot better with Melo and without Lin.

9. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Get poison pill back??? LOL. MOREY STRATEGY AGAIN.

10. sun12

sun12 Member

I am not sure about the #1 in scoring as there is only one ball among Harden, Melo and Howard, and but I am pretty sure about the #1 in points given.

With Melo, Harden on the back court, the hole in defense would be super big.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very true. The balloon payments would mean little to Dolan. I think the reason he didn't pay up for Jeremy the first time around was that the whole thing pissed him off. Morey did a number on the Knicks to grab Lin, and what made sense on the court, or at the box office, simply didn't enter in to it. Dolan makes Les look like a world beater as an owner.

With the Nets now in New York with a new venue and a playoff team, the Knicks need to create some excitement. Jackson doesn't hurt, but he isn't coaching, and he certainly ain't playin'! Jeremy would excite his loyal fans in NYC. Really create excitement, deserved or not. Asik would be a terrific "get" for that team. A young, highly skilled defensive center, who would be happy to sign long term with New York, in my opinion. Toss in a future #1 pick, one of our young talented players on a cheap deal (NOT Parsons), and that's a solid basis for a deal. Probably won't happen, and maybe Morey doesn't even have Melo as a target. Who knows? But as a deal in a sign and trade, it's a good one for a guy who might simply leave them with nothing.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This really all boils down to how desperate the Knicks are for next season.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

GTFO you swine.

14. langal

langal Contributing Member

ignore the trolls.

15. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Lin sucks, but he's a lot better than Felton.

16. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

the rockets were notorious for going into offensive droughts all season. i can see a team that wont have a problem with that. especially if melo plays the 4 here.. melo we keep the paint clear for dwight to operate and melo/harden can work with 1 on 1 match ups.. with melo this team likely steps on the gas and blows out portland easily because there is too much firepower on offense. even with aldridge and lillard shooting ridiculously high percentages....

17. Rox23

Rox23 Member

The Knicks will not trade Carmelo to the Rockets.

However they might give us Raymond Felton. Also the Knicks have some other good assets which could add up salary-wise. J.R. Smith could help us out probably.

18. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

no thanks!

19. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Don,t you know that Fat Felton is better than Lin according to many posters here.

20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I've seen very few who want Felton here.