1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In NBA playoffs, less ink means more viewers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Serg300, May 29, 2008.

1. Serg300

Serg300 Member

WHAT!!! Are you kidding me???? :rolleyes:

check out the member comments LOL!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8187914/In-NBA-playoffs,-less-ink-means-more-viewers#tb

Of course it helps that large TV markets with storied franchises (Boston and Los Angeles) are still alive and favorites to make the NBA Finals. And, yes, it helps that the league's two most successful franchises over the last five years (San Antonio and Detroit) are competing against the Lakers and the Celtics.

The conference finals are littered with big stars, too. Kobe, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Paul Pierce, Tony Parker, Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili, Rasheed Wallace and all the rest could make up an all-star team that the rest of the league couldn't beat.

Obviously, there are a lot of factors contributing to the ratings numbers that TNT, ESPN and ABC keep bragging about in nearly daily press releases.

The NBA has been experiencing a resurgence ever since the Suns traded for Shaquille O'Neal, the Lakers acquired Pau Gasol, the Mavericks got hoodwinked into snagging Jason Kidd and the Cavaliers picked up new spare parts for LeBron.

But there's one issue driving improved ratings that likely won't be touched by all the NBA talking heads on TNT and ESPN.

Tattoos. Or rather the lack of tattoos in the conference finals.

Part of the reason more people are watching these playoffs is because the average fan isn't constantly repulsed by the appearance of most of the players on the court. Most of the key players left in the playoffs don't look like recent prison parolees.

The only accurate way to describe Garnett, Pierce, Duncan, Allen, Manu, Parker and even Kobe is "clean cut." Yeah, there are a couple of tattoos in that group — Duncan has something on his back, Kobe still has his post-rape-allegation tat — but the Lakers, Spurs and Celtics have far less ink on average than your typical NBA franchise.

Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony have more tats on their hands than the entire Spurs roster.

I know many of you probably think the number of tattoos doesn't influence viewing habits. You're wrong. Like everything else televised, appearances matter. There's a reason you don't see nude scenes in movies with fat people. Trust me, fat people have sex. It's just no one wants to see it. Not even fat people.

No one wants to watch Delonte West or Larry Hughes play basketball. It's uncomfortable and disconcerting. You don't want your kids to see it. You don't want your kids to think they should decorate their neck, arms, hands, chest and legs in paint. You don't want to waste time explaining to your kids that some millionaire athletes have so little genuine self-confidence that they find it necessary to cover themselves in tattoos as a way to mask their insecurities.

You just want to watch basketball and feel like you're watching people you can relate to a little bit, people you somewhat respect.

We finally have that again on the NBA's biggest stage, and everyone can see it because the league's substance isn't covered in a barrel of tattoo ink.

David Stern has been arguing that the NBA is the best book. Ever since Ron Artest went into the stands, Stern has been slowly changing the cover of his book. The dress code and the age limit have helped. The midseason trades helped. Garnett's donning of a Celtics jersey really helped. Kobe's maturity and ascension to Jordan's throne has probably been the most important development. Kobe is everything the league wants LeBron James to be.

But don't underestimate how much having a visually pleasing product to look at has benefitted the league at conference finals time.

It's a television show. Pleasant smiles, non-threatening people sell products better than menacing, tattooed brutes.

If I was David Stern, I'd commission Nike and/or Under Armor to create a basketball jersey with long sleeves, all the way down to the wrists. I'd make Iverson wear a turtleneck jersey with sleeves. I'd cover the tats.

Do you think Sports Illustrated would let its swimsuit models cover themselves in tattoos? Models are paid to look good. Athletes are no different from models. Everyone accepts that female basketball players — when possible — are pushed to showcase their feminine beauty.

It's unfortunate that too many young athletes are too unenlightened to approach the game like a business. They resist almost all ideas that would put more money in their pockets. They have to be forced to do the little things that would help them make more money.

Growing NBA ratings is what's best for the players in the long term. Adopting a non-prison-ready appearance would help everyone in the league earn more money. But no one will talk about it.

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Do what now? Huh?

3. francis 4 prez

i'm gonna go ahead and say yes they are.

4. JamesC

JamesC Member

I never been one to judge how another man looks, but some of them do look terrible.

5. JD2010

JD2010 Member

J.R Smith faints lol

that man has so many tattoos.

Seems like ever since Iverson arrived there, they have tattoo parties or something lol

6. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

see:Delonte West

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

I wish the NBA would ban tattooes. They look ridiculous. I don't know what I'd do if I happened to be a fan in Denver. That would suck.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I despise tatoos but they don't affect my basketball watching habits. To each his own.

9. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

yest i noticed how eddie house had his name on his shoulder.

seriously? do you have amnesia or something?

10. Pringles

Pringles Member

some tatoos are meaning less, some tatoos actually mean something to the players.

like luther nba tatoo, i heard that it was for motivation to make the nba, cause if he didn't make it, he would look like a loser.

and isn't stevie's tatoo for his mom/grandma?

anyways, delonte west.... wow... that man just puts on so many tatoos, that one of them (chinese character) could have been misplaced.

11. Northside Storm

Huh...

Do you know how I know you're gay?

12. Nelly

Nelly Member

I just noticed that Lebron's has gotten a lot more tattoos lately. I think one of his arms is almost fully covered in ink.

13. bladeage

bladeage Member

This is true, I am fat, and nothing repulses me more than to watch a video of me banging my girl.

14. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Parts of this article are dumb.

I do agree with the fact that I would rather watch a team like the Rockets, Lakers, Spurs, or Celtics because I don't have to see a bunch of thugs out there barking at each other.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

god, the media we take any attempt it can to tear down black athletes.

who was tatted up when dallas beat san antonio in 06 and miami beat detroit? no one. Stupid ass article

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i've been saying this for years. especially after all of the complaints about the dress code.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I don't buy this, but perhaps I give people too much credit. It'd been nice if he could have offered a shred of evidence to back up the assertion. He could do a regression analysis on the number of minutes played by tatooed players and the TV ratings of the team, for example.

18. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I agree that black people are the only ones that can get tattoos . . .

Oh, wait. JWill was on that Miami team and he's white and tatted and I don't want to watch him . . . .

19. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Huh? Delonte West's inks himself up because he has so little self-confidence, and is try to mask his insecurities??? Give me a break, it's a cultural expression. Delonte has tats because he wants to look as hood as possible, because he a young black male with money. Give me a break, article.

For the record, I have no tattoos.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

jwill wishes he were black, he doesn't count