1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Morey we trust...Or do we?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FearJames'Beard, Jul 14, 2014.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You seem to be yelling and screaming a lot in every thread. What does "he doesn't know the X's and O's of what make a team great" even mean? Can you explicitly state those X's and O's that your whole argument rests upon so that it can be discussed whether he does or doesn't not in fact know those.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

And I agree with you on his valuation but when Gordon Hayward is getting $14 million the market just set a new and higher price for Parsons and that's something Houston would not match UNLESS they got Bosh. Why match for Parsons if you didn't get Bosh?

The writing's were on the wall that he was going to bolt next summer anyways. Yes, I'll agree with you that we could have had him for one more year but what then? We'd just be in this position next summer. Morey did damage control by signing a forward who can produce as well as Parsons did last year but at half of the cost. That's better than matching for Parsons. Sure the first mistake was letting him get on the FA market but that was going to be inevitable anyways.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

4. Remii

Remii Member

Jerry West had it real bad for Harden and had no problem giving him the max. He was going to give up Thompson and Barnes but OKC killed the deal because the GSW wanted them to take on another contract (Richard Jefferson I think) so they could have the space to sign Harden to a 5 year max.

Morey was busy chasing Howard around all summer and trying to give up the farm for him even though he said he wasn't resigning here. We'd be up 5h1t creek right now if Orlando hadn't of found a better trade package and OKC being cheap.

But everyone needs some luck.

5. FearJames'Beard

6. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

Houston's the biggest market in China.

7. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

No yelling and screaming. I'm just not happy with the direction Morey decided to take with this team, just like alot of ppl on here. The difference is I've been saying the same thing since early last season. You want me to clarify myself? Sure no problem. Morey doesn't understand anything outside of numbers. He simply bases everything off how much $$$ player A makes, versus his production level. Once player A plays up to his contract, he parts ways with him and brings in player B. Let's say player B may be a young D-league player on a ****ty contract. If player B begins to play beyond the production level of his contract, he's gone. It's a revolving door. Morey doesn't understand that player A or B may compliment the team better than the next player, he only cares about contracts. He's like a NBA accountant. He doesn't fully understand the innerworkings of the game

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Astros made it to the World Series right after we lost Kent and Beltran in the same offseason... I hope the Rockets can recover just as well...

9. FearJames'Beard

Agree on all accounts BUT would you agree that we could put him on the block and get a first for him? I 100% believe we could have gotten a 1st round pick for him and signed Ariza today.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Or do him just like they did Harden... Maybe negotiate with him on a contract, trade him, or S&T at the end of the season. Several options.

11. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I don't see the logic in you criticizing morey's draft moves. Hind sight is 20/20 but for all the mistakes you point out there are just as many brilliant moves (budinger, AB, Landry, Terrence Jones, and nick johnson ain't lookin bad). Bottom line is without bosh, that 15 million hamstrings us into saying parsons is getting us a title and that is not true

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Rudy Gay was traded for Battier which was the correct move for a team with Yao and McGrady.

Batum was traded for Donte Green who was then flipped for Ron Artest. Again the right move for a team with Yao and McGrady.

If you were upset about Lowry being traded because you had hopes of Yao continuing to play then that's your fault. When Lowry was traded in July of 2012 Yao had already been retired a full year at that point.

Every team in the first round passed up Deandre Jordan, not just the Rockets. The European that we drafted? Nic Batum! At the beginning of your post you complained that we didn't keep Batum. So now you're complaining because we drafted Batum rather than Jordan? BTW Batum did play, just not for us. He did indirectly get us Ron Artest though.

We don't know what was negotiated and what wasn't. People hear a rumor and take them as facts. How do you know that they were discussing a deal and that the only reason that it didn't happen was because we wouldn't include Parsons? Because you heard that rumor?

Here's what Danny Ainge said on the matter:

"Houston was never, ever in a discussion with us throughout this whole trade deadline," Ainge said. "Chandler Parson's name never came up, Rajon Rondo's name never came up in discussions with Houston. I saw four or five different talk shows, ESPN, and guys talking in the studio about these very issues that someone just made up. It was just created out of the air and then it's reported on it for the next week."

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/ainge-rondo-rockets-was-never-discussed

That's about as clear as it gets from the guy that would be negotiating from the Celtics side.

As has already been pointed out, Lin couldn't be amnestied. I see that later you mention just cutting him but since his contract is fully guaranteed that wouldn't have freed up any money so there would have been no reason to do that. Even using the stretch provision on him wouldn't have freed up enough money to offer Bosh a max deal.

It's a little tougher for Morey to match your moves since he has to operate in the real world and actually follow the rules.

Gave away? He got Trevor Ariza and a lottery pick for Asik.

The cap space that we were going to use on Bosh is mostly gone due to the Ariza trade. We had Bird Rights on Parsons so we could exceed the cap to sign him. We obviously don't have Bird Rights on Stephenson, so how do you plan to pay Stephenson? He's already turned down just under $10M a year from the Pacers. You think that he's going to come play here for less?

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

From the recent Grantland piece on Morey:

As the years have passed, one thing has become obvious about Morey and the new generation of GMs that followed him. Their trademark has nothing to do with math or metrics.

Generally speaking, the one trait that actually sets Morey and the “new” GMs apart from the old guard is effort. They are more creative with the salary cap, more relentless in the trade market, and more ambitious in the long run. People criticize new GMs for treating players like assets instead of humans, as if other GMs are paragons of trust and loyalty. The reason that GMs like Morey do more deals isn’t because they somehow value players less than other GMs. It’s because they’re less complacent than a lot of their predecessors.