1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Houston one day, where to eat?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MattM, Jun 27, 2008.

1. MattM

MattM Member

My manager is going down to Houston this Saturday for the baseball game. I'm from Houston but haven't lived there since I was 18. He was seeking my advice on restaurant suggestions and I'm really coming up short.

Could you guys make some reccomendations?

Types he's interested in are: BBQ, Mexican, Indian, or just any other place that you can't miss if you're going to be there for one day.

Thanks in advance!

2. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Lupe Tortilla has the best beef fajitas and pretty good margaritas. That's always my first stop when I make it back to Houston.

Goode Company if he's into BBQ.

Oh, and I really miss kolaches.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, if he's staying near the downtown area, I would recommend Ninfa's on Navigation (not to far) and Pappa's BBQ (near 45, and I know not as good as others) but close to downtown...Zydeco is there as well for Cajun...

for something nicer, Ruggles is a can't miss and not too far as well...

4. TheyCallmeExMan

Thelmas , they have great bbq.

5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It all depends on where he is staying. Inner loop suggestions:

Tex-Mex: If he is a big fajita fan, Lupe Tortillas. Or Original Ninfa's on navigation. Both have amazing fajitas. If he wants other Tex-Mex, Cyclone Anaya's or El Tiempo are good choices as well

BBQ: If he wants some good Texas Brisket, Luling City Market is great. Goode Company BBQ is good, but for some reason I have not enjoyed it the last two times I went there. If he likes sweet BBQ sauce, that is the place to go

7. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Well, if he's going to the game, Vic and Anthony's is VERY nice and a block away. But not everybody wants to spend that kind of cash on a steak.

The original Ninfa's is very good and close to the stadium. BBQ in Houston sucks. There's some good Vietnamese food off Milam Street in Midtown.

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

FAIL!

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

For Tex-Mex either Ninfa's on Navigation or El Tiempo.

10. flipmode

flipmode Member

Good picks.
    Mexican - Lupe Tortilla
    BBQ - Goode Co.
    Indian - Indika (it's more like modern Indian, but nonetheless - rave reviews.)

11. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I stand by my statement. Houston BBQ blows goats compared to the stuff you get in the Texas Hill Country. Goode Company and Pappas don't even hold a candle to the mid-level joints in Austin like Rudy's and County Line. And the stuff you find in Lockhart, Luling, and the other small town BBQ meccas will ruin you for Houston Q for life.

12. TheMountainTop

Dude I must admit bbq in Houston is not that great from my experiences. Atleast not when compared to San Antonio or Austin.

Goode Co and Ottos are just ok. Papas is not all that either. I think Luthers is pretty good.

There are other places besides American Texas BBQ. He can go to FOGO De Chao!

Places like BBQ station and Rudys are really good. You have to go to Austin or San Antonio for that.

13. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

There's a Rudy's in Houston, well Spring.

20806 IH-45 North
    Spring, TX 77373

14. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

You do realize that Houston does have Rudy's (the more I eat here the less I like it) and County Line (It's alright) right?

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

i will agree, the novelty has worn off since it's here, and i kind of wish it stayed in Austin so i had it to look forward to on my trips there, BUT...

i still think rudy's is awesome, awesome eating. anybody BBQ snob that says rudy's isn't great bbq is saying that because they don't think it's cool to admit that a "chain" has delicious, authentic bbq.

16. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Mexican Food - I don't think you can beat El Tiempo off of Washington, Ninfa's off of Navigation is pretty good (don't go to the others), I've never been a fan of Lupe Tortilla

BBQ - near downtown, Hickory Hollow

Indian Food - Bombay Brasserie in the Village

But if I'm in Houston for one day and I'm from a city that doesn't have a Fogo - I go to Fogo, although its a chain, its my favorite place to go

17. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Fajitas- Little Papaisto's on Richmond/Kirby
    Prime Rib-Houston's on Richmond/59
    BBQ-Goode Co. BBQ on Richmond/59

18. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

You blow donkey! Take that to the bank.... :p

19. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

taco cabana

20. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

nope.

tell him to go to the tacobells on Wayside, next to the Fiesta there. Then walk across the parking lot next to Fiesta and get himself some good haircut for only $7. The complete package for a day in Houston.