1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In honor of Hakeem's Bday, post your favorite, most emotional/memorable Dream moments

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Al Capone, Jan 21, 2010.

1. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I could post something pertaining to his incredible play on the court, and he would be so deserving, but it was that god-awful green suit he had on at the airport one night that has forever been burned into my memory.

I rounded a corner and smacked right into Reid. I was actually thinking, "who put up this stupid moving wall...stupid idea at a corner". Damn, was I surprised once my neck stretched back.

F*ing Reid! ... Holy crap, it's the Rockets! ... Holy crap, there's Akeem. ... Oh *****, what the hell does he have on?

I did end up shaking a few hands, and can remember that to a degree, but you can bet that suit is still as green in my mind as it was that night.

2. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Got to be at his house when he broke his fast in '97. Got a signed 8x10. Pretty neat.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That was the greatest Hakeem moment for me too. It was unbelievable. A legend was born on that day.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I was just about to post the same thing myself.

I wanted Hakeem to be in that moment forever. It was beautiful.

5. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I was in the range of 4-6 years old and he came over to my house mostly due to that it was literally right next to the mosque. Anyways he's talking with my dad and friends and later signs a Houston Rocket coloring book I used to treasure as a little kid.

It was pretty magical meeting the guy even when I barely knew a thing about basketball. Seeing Dream actually became a monthly thing from that point on for a while. He still hangs around the mosque here in Sugar Land.

6. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

This...

Although it's bitter sweet for me. Just knowing there won't ever be another representer like him for the city of Houston saddens me.

Happy BDay! Glad to have witnessed the greastest in a Rockets uniform ever!

Long live "The Dream".

7. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

I'm going to go WAY back in time to the college days, since those were my first and in some ways most lasting memories in basketball. Because my dad (and is) a yearly season ticket holder for Cougar basketball, I got to see a lot of those games in the early to mid 80s in person, which really fired up the basketball fan in me.

The most emotionally flip-flopping and wrenching time was the high of highs when the UH Phi Slama Jama guys (led by Olajuwon and Drexler) took on the Louisville Cardinals in the '83 NCAA Tournament semifinal game. That was just about the most bad-ass college game I'd ever seen, given the quality of the opponents, and Olajuwon was hitting his stride as a college player. The emotional low came in the following loss in the finals to NC State.

The first year of Sampson and Olajuwon together going to the finals, even if losing to Boston, had us dreaming of years of championships to come. Alas, it was not to be...but boy, did that year give us hopes.

But, in the pro years, it has to be the championship runs in the 90s, in which every victory seemed to bring us to new heights as fans. I can't pinpoint only one moment since the whole thing in both playoff/championship years built-built-built to an explosion of celebration for the fans, the team, the city.

There were lots of great times and and memories around Olajuwon and his teammates that will be hard to match for those of us who were there for them when they happened. Let's hope we can soon set a bit more modern standard for this generation and make some more memories. I want to have some of those feelings again, like everyone else here -- and it's been too long.

8. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Hakeem's baseline spinaroo move around Patrick Ewing in the 93-94 Finals. Classic. :cool:

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

When UH played Missouri on the road, Hakeem dominated; as I recall, it was his first stand out game. I thought to myself, "A star is born!" How true that proved to be.

10. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

Happy Bday dream, sadly I wasn't here for your era.

Side note.
    but I though most clutchfans are what have you done for me :rolleyes:

11. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

i have so many cant jus pick 1

Hakeem chasing down kevin Johnson and swatting his layup

Hakeem demolishing David Robinson in the playoffs- thinking of that series always makes me smile :)

Hakeem sweeping Shaq in the NBA Finals!!

Hakeem becoming the all time leading shot blocker

Hakeem showing Patrick Ewing that he was the best Center in the game

Happy Birthday Dream!!! Best Rocket and best Center in the history of the NBA

12. htown11

htown11 Member

I got so many but the Robinson domination will always be stuck in my mind. Amazing performance.

I just got his magazine in the mail, fitting on his b day.

[​IMG]

13. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

Does anyone got the final game stats and video of the game as rocket

if my memory don't fail me it was against golden state ? and he put good numbers

that a game to remember

14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

...Charlie? :)

15. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

It was against the timber wolve

the golden state game was the rise of the number of him

got them now

16. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

The most emotional I guess was when he was traded to Toronto. I know he was declining but I would have liked to see him retire as a Rocket and play for the Rockets for his entire career.

17. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Here's one.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/95g8Qha9t0M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/95g8Qha9t0M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

My two most memorable Hakeem moments:

a) Block of Jabar's Sky hook!

b) Block of Michael Jordan's three pointer :p

UNBEATABLE!!!

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Hakeem with the tip in game 1 of the 95 finals

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gnAydeBY0S4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gnAydeBY0S4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

David robinson got bamboozled

Very nice vid of olajuwon in 1992 against Jordan and the Bulls:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1BLjWjc_eII&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1BLjWjc_eII&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

His quadruple double. Amazing simply amazing