1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In-home desktop support

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TexasFight, Jun 10, 2011.

1. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

So I moved away from Houston last year... for the years I was in town I was the IT/desktop support person for my parents.

They just recently had their hard drive crash on their desktop. Being out of town I can no longer drive over and help them.

Having said that - do any of you know/recommend IT folks/companies that can come to a house and fix issues like - replacing a hard drive and reinstalling all of the old software and resetting the wireless network capabilities?

Basically I'm looking for a reliable person/service/company that can go to people's homes (people who know nothing about computers) and do any software/hardware repairs they need.

thanks. i'll hang up and listen now.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You might have more luck if you listed what part of town your folks are in. Houston is freaking huge.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You know, you might want to call into the Technology Bytes show on KPFT and ask Jay Lee for a recommendation. 8-10pm on Wednesday.

btw: what part of town. I got my mom a guy in the West U area. He's awesome, but I think he wants to shake her off his leg...lol. I could contact him and ask. I was lucky that he keeps helping her 4yrs later. I assume typically it's hard to get the same person to help each time. He originally worked for an at-home support company, but started his own. He worked at something like this

http://www.geeksontime.com/houston_computer_services.html

You could try a college student with references. Not sure if I'd trust Craiglists with access to my mom's computer without checking out the dude, but again, you could ask for references, and some of them probably are real companies.

4. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

good point. my folks live in the northwest side of town... near 290 & Hwy 6.

i just found out they called in a favor to have their current problems fixed this weekend... but the person offering the favor is a one time deal.

they'd like to find a reliable company they can pay to use for any computer problems in the future (including hard drive crashes, setting up wireless networks, installing anti-virus software, fixing virus attacks,etc - you know - the basics for desktops)

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm an IT consultant and work for a couple companies downtown. I live in the west Houston area so I'm not too far from there. I'm looking to start having a few clients on the side and I could definitely be of help. You're welcome to shop around, but I imagine my pricing will be comparable or better than anything you find (especially since you need on site services). You can PM me if you'd like more information or my qualifications.

6. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

^what he said, except I'm unemployed. I'm not sure if that's going to be viewed as a good or bad thing.

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Clearly we need to open a home support IT firm, mig.

8. Miguel

Sounds like a plan.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I added you on FB, haha.

10. Miguel

Had to dig through my wall of facebook purgatory. So that's you. Didn't recognize the last name.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm surprised you didn't know. This thread has officially been derailed. So are you going to hire ClutchCityIT for your folks? The name just feels...right.

12. Miguel

Usually if someone doesn't specifically tell me or include some message saying who they are I tend to ignore it out of habit. I have like 30+ people on there haha. Oops.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Ahhh, I get you. ;)

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Clutch Sh1tty IT?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Can I join yalls company? :)

Steve/aeroman10 I believe still has his onsite support business also, he has his company linked in his sig