1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(In)famous trades that never went down

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thacabbage, Aug 23, 2005.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

A friend and I were thinking back to the near Hakeem Olajuwon for Rony Seikaly and Glen Rice trade from the early 90's. That inspired this thread. Alot of superstars have been nearly traded over the years...

*Shawn Kemp for #1 pick (Duncan) in 1997 was supposedly hot and heavy for a while.

*Scottie Pippen to Houston for Bobby Horry and numerous 1's in '94 if memory holds...

*Of course the numerous combinations that almost landed Jordan in Houston.

*Iverson to Detroit a few years back.

2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Back in the day, Horry and Bull for Sean Elliot!!! Glad that didn't go through. Elliot didn't pass his physical.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Speaking of Kemp and Quitten, those two were almost traded for each other back in the summer of 1994. I remember watching WGN and they even went to a newsbreak to report that rumored deal.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Kick me if I'm wrong, but you guys would be the ones to correct me if anyone could.

It was in 98 or 99, Hakeem to Toronto for T-Mac or Doug Cristy. Either would have brought us a good young player for Hakeem, who signed there as a free agent at the end of the season anyway.

It's a bit fuzzy, but this is something that's been sticking in my head for years.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Damon Stoudamire to Houston for Elie and others.

6. thacabbage

I've seen it mentioned by alot of people on this board that we almost landed McGrady for Hakeem in that rumored deal but that is false. The deal on the table was Hakeem for Kevin Willis, Doug Christie, the #5 and the #12 pick in the draft. I think people are confusing this with a post a few years later by Popeye which stated that the Rockets were close to landing McGrady for "a whole bunch of guys."

7. foodworld

foodworld Member

Kevin McHale for Sam Perkins.

8. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

There was also a trade for Mighty Mouse that didn't go through because we didn't want to throw in either Rhodrick Rhodes or Sam Mack, can't remember which. And of course the Eddie Griffin for Rashard Lewis rumors.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i remember this very well. ESPN was blazing with that story. it was my first encounter with an ESPN "this is happening...oops, it didn't happen" story. there have been far too many since.

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Hmmm...I wonder if Jordan would have won three more titles with Kemp instead of Pippen? I'm thinking no...

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That all depends on whether he was playing with mid-90s Reign Man Kemp who even Dream had trouble guarding or late 90s fat, alcoholic Kemp. If it's the former, I'm thinking they win at least a couple titles.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

When did Kemp enter the league? Jordan was winning everything then. You gotta catch a train.

13. JamesC

JamesC Member

I remember that rumored deal, I told a friend the only way I'd trade Hakeem would be for Vince Carter, McGrady and a 1st rounder.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Kemp was in his prime back in 94...He actually had two decent years in Cleveland, averaging 18 and 9, before finally jumping on the twinkie wagon.

15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Jordan to the knicks

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

In the end that worked out better for both teams. The best trade never made, at least in Texas

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I Believe Hakeem for Barkley was rumored for a while as well.

18. mulletman

mulletman Member

hakeem for stanley roberts (there must have been more involved, but i dont remember) around the time hakeem had problems with the owner and right before Rudy T became head coach

19. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

yeah,I remember that one....I think Danny Manning was to be involved, but don't remember the 3rd player.

20. thacabbage

Scottie Pippen has probably nearly gotten traded more than any superstar in that generation.

Two other times I remember were for both Celtics lottery picks #3 and #6 and to Toronto for McGrady and the #5 pick in the draft.