1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In-Depth Look at the Playoff Race

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Nov 17, 2014.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The sneaky-important game next week (besides our own) is Cincinnati at Cleveland. IF the Bengals lose that one, them losing out becomes extremely plausible, considering they have Denver and at Pittsburgh (who just beat them by 21) coming up. Hopefully the Browns start Manziel and Cleveland is revved up.

Really stings in retrospect that Tampa blew that game last week vs. Cincy... would have really helped.

2. platypus

platypus Member

These are the scenarios for week 15. So we can move up to 5th or 6th next week provided we beat indy and those things happen. If it does occur i think the texans get in to the post season.

3. NateNate

NateNate Member

I don't know if I can stomach rooting for Cleveland another week. It's frustrating rooting for a bad team to beat a good team in hopes that it benefits your team.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Playoff Race update:

1. Indy Colts (9-4)

Remaining Schedule:

vs Houston
    @ Dallas
    @ Titans

I could see a scenario where they lose to both Houston and Dallas, but not a likely one. That mother****in Andrew Luck just doesn't want to lose.

2. Cincinnati Bengals (8-4-1)

Remaining Schedule:

@ Cleveland
    vs Denver
    @ Pittsburgh

Only way we don't root for Bengals to win out is for them to lose all 3 games. It's certainly possible seeing as how they lost at home to the Browns and recently Pitt.

If they go 0-3 it's only really good for the Texans only if we win out.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-5)

Remaining Schedule:

@ Atlanta
    vs KC
    vs Cincy

Ideally we want them to win out or at least got 2-1 vs KC and Cincy. If they win division Cincy has to go at best go 1-2 in their remaining schedule which is very very likely.

4. San Diego Chargers (8-5)

Remaining Schedule:

vs Denver
    @ SF
    @ KC

Very Very tough remaining schedule. They may win vs SF who have not looked nearly as good this season.

5. Baltimore Ravens (8-5)

Remaining Schedule:

vs Jaguars
    @ Houston
    vs Cleveland

As long as we take care of them at home, they will have no shot at playoffs probably.

6. Miami Dolphins (7-6)

Remaining Schedule:

@ NE
    vs Minnesota
    vs NYJ

They could win out, they already beat the Patriots early on in the season. But if Texans take care of business and win out, they aren't a threat at all.

Tiebreakers:

We don't have the tie-breaker vs Cincy, Indy, or Pitt

We have tiebreakers vs Dolphins, Chargers, Chiefs due to current record vs Conference teams.

Steelers beating Cincy was pretty unfortunate for the team. But if Texans win out they are most likely in. If we go 9-7 (loss to Colts), we have to pray that Pitt loses out or wins out and Bengals lose out which mentioned previously is very possible.

TEXANS CANNOT LOSE TO THE RAVENS NO MATTER WHAT

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What?? I had to go back and check the date of your post. You posted this AFTER the Jaguars game, where the team is sitting at 7-6, 3 MEANINGFUL games left in December, with their destiny squarely in their hands to make the playoffs. How on Earth is that a wasted season??

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Doesn't matter if the Colts lose to both Houston and Dallas, they still have the better common opponent record and win the tiebreaker.

If they lose to Houston and Tennessee, Texans would win that tiebreaker.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

None of this matters if we don't beat the colts on Sunday, so I'm not even paying attention until that (hopefully) happens.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

same here. It's just not worth it at this point.

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I don't have faith in Fitzpatrick as the starting QB. 8-8 :)

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That doesn't mean it was a wasted season. Playoff talk in December foot a team that was eliminated in October last year is a huge jump up. Just enjoy it.

11. Indaface

Indaface Member

Why not enjoy any shreds of hope after the ****show that was 2-14 last year....if this is the last meaningful week of the season you better be damn sure imma enjoy the projecting instead of just sitting back expecting the worst.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

When people write the 2014 obituary for this team (assuming they don't make the playoffs), they'll focus on Dallas, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh as games the team let get away.

But for me, the inexplicable sore thumb loss is New York. I know Foster was hurt but if this team really wants to entertain the possibility of postseason play, you have to curb stomp teams like the Giants.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Believe me. Let's just beat the colts in indy for the first time in our history, THEN we'll talk about winning out.

I think the bigger problem with that game was the timing. NY had just started the season 0-2 with losses to teams that weren't supposed to be any good this year (Detroit, Arizona). They needed a win in the worst way and that's how they approached the game. They probably would have beaten almost any team that day. It just happened to be us. We were 2-0 and feeling pretty good about ourselves. Probably expected NY to just lay down.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Eh... If it were that easy, they wouldn't be 4-9. The Texans weren't ready to play; B'OB had likely his worst game as a coach; Fitzpatrick was terrible; and they obviously missed Foster.

But in this league, you beat the bad teams, split with the good teams. They're a better team than the Giants.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I agree, they had their running game going and Manning played a solid game. NY really wanted that win and they probably would've gotten it against most teams. Additionally, this team now, IMO, is much better then it was back in week 3.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Not really. If we lose to Colts, but beat the Ravens, there is still a decent chance we can get in.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Luck threw 2 INTs and lost a fumble against CLE. and still he pulled out a come from behind win. for all his mistakes he rises up to the occasion when the game is on the line more often than not.

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will add that RAC rolled out the 10 yard cushion defense that day, and Eli/Cruz ate it up just like the Bengals would do later in the year. That was so frustrating to see :mad:

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

should we be rooting for Bengals or Browns?

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Browns