1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

in defense of mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rm365, May 18, 2003.

1. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Y does everyone hate CM? I haven't watched too many rockets games, but I consider myself pretty sharp in evaluating bball talent. :D

Anyway, Mobley may dominate the ball, miss open shots, etc. but stat-wise, he's really not that bad: 17, 3, 4 on .43-.44% FG. Thats only like one notch below the top SGs in the league (kobe, ray allen, allan houston, etc). Mobley's shooting percentage is just as good as ray allens!
    I know stats aren't everything, but they are something. Once he learns to go with the flow, he'll be good to go.

2. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

yeah, hes a good defender. and i give him props to that. but did you see his style of play? his mentality towards basketball. he's a ball-hog. he's the "i want to shoot the ball guy" or the "i wanna be the hero guy" or more worse "i wanna be franchise guy". he never gives inside pass to yao ming. and he always wants those 1 on 1 plays where he often turns the ball over or he makes a situation where it would take a miracle to make a basket. he got jealous with the franchise-dynasty team rocs are buildin around on. he got used to franchise-cat where he knows the rocs are more improved with franchise-dynasty team. he used to be the second go to guy in the rocs when they didnt have yao, but as yao begins to be mature and be the second role player, that makes cat real jealous. he's not a team player. rocs are better without him. we may lose some points in the rotation when cat's gone, but we dont have to suffer a ball hog who wants to be the main player.

3. Yun

Yun Member

In Mobley's case, he is not willing to go with the flow as I see it.

If you watch the Rocket games often enough yo u will clearly see it too.

His mentallity of not sharing the ball hurts the team the most.
    The rocket did not get easy baskets because he did not share the ball. Also, he is not consistent enough to be sucessful in every tough shot the he unnecessary created.

I think that he does not fit the Rocket current team. It will be better for both the Rocket and him if he moves to other team.

#3 Yun, May 18, 2003
    Last edited: May 18, 2003
  4. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

What!?!?!?

Cat has changed his role every year he has been here. He has been our pointguard only shotting when recieving off the doubleteam from Charles and Dream. He has been or 6th man, and came in 2nd to R. Rogers for that award. He has been our leading scorer when we depleated with injuries. He even took less $ and stayed so we could get better. He always said he was the 2ndary star and didn't mind playing Robin. When Yao got here he was the most assurtive in making him feel comfortable and always talked Yao up. He is not jealous. If you paid attention he shot alot less as the season went on. He tried to give these shots to Yao but alot of times he did not take them. Cat was our 2nd highest scorer and as mentioned is only a hair behind the top 2gaurds in stats. Cat is not stupid and knows Yao and SF are the key. He seems to shot alot only when he's hot and we milk our hot players. Also when no one else is hitting, and since we have no post game it is on the 2 gaurd to score.

Cat has the abillity to get to the rim and to make shots many could not. Only players who do not shot but 3 or 4 times a game seem as though they do not take bad shots.
    Come on people, you mean to say Cat takes worse shots than Eddie.
    Cat does what he is told and has and will sacrifice for the team!
    I want to keep him. Look at this years playoffs, you need as many player that can prform in the clutch(Cat) and get to the line and knock them down. He has the ability to score and could be needed sometimes. He is not the problem, its when the fowards don't preform then he's asked to do a bit too much.

Looking at his talents, D, character(no off court problems), contract, versatiliy, and postition(only 2 guard), he should be the closest player we consider untouchable after Steve and Yao. He should only be delt for an offer TOO GOOD TO TURN DOWN.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What!?!?!?

Cat has changed his role every year he has been here. He has been our pointguard only shotting when recieving off the doubleteam from Charles and Dream. He has been or 6th man, and came in 2nd to R. Rogers for that award. He has been our leading scorer when we depleated with injuries. He even took less $ and stayed so we could get better. He always said he was the 2ndary star and didn't mind playing Robin. When Yao got here he was the most assurtive in making him feel comfortable and always talked Yao up. He is not jealous. If you paid attention he shot alot less as the season went on. He tried to give these shots to Yao but alot of times he did not take them. Cat was our 2nd highest scorer and as mentioned is only a hair behind the top 2gaurds in stats. Cat is not stupid and knows Yao and SF are the key. He seems to shot alot only when he's hot and we milk our hot players. Also when no one else is hitting, and since we have no post game it is on the 2 gaurd to score.

Cat has the abillity to get to the rim and to make shots many could not. Only players who do not shot but 3 or 4 times a game seem as though they do not take bad shots.
    Come on people, you mean to say Cat takes worse shots than Eddie.
    Cat does what he is told and has and will sacrifice for the team!
    I want to keep him. Look at this years playoffs, you need as many player that can prform in the clutch(Cat) and get to the line and knock them down. He has the ability to score and could be needed sometimes. He is not the problem, its when the fowards don't preform then he's asked to do a bit too much.

Looking at his talents, D, character(no off court problems), contract, versatiliy, and postition(only 2 guard), he should be the closest player we consider untouchable after Steve and Yao. He should only be delt for an offer TOO GOOD TO TURN DOWN.

About time someone said it again. Much of this has been said before, but it needed to be said again. The bandaggon irrational hatred and sterotyping of Rockets players goes in waves. Maybe it is just natural for frustrated fans to do this, but it gets almost as old as the Cat and Mo T for Kevin Garnett trades or the complex 30 player, 6 team megatrades proposed almost daily.

Someone, anyone has to be the fall guy. all the bandwagoners jump on and repeat the same old crap. KT is selfish, he is too short, he can't shoot. Nothing matters he is a cancer and the reason the team isn't winning all the time. then 2) It is Steve he is too stupid for PG, too short for SG selfish, a cancer on the team 3)then it is EG he is too lazy, he hasn't improved as much, he is not strong enough he is a cancer on the team. 4) then it is Mo Taylor. He is too fat, too short, too bad on defense. He is a cancer on the team 5) Don't forget about Cato. He is a pansy children's bookd writer, who has the worst contract in the league. He is lazy and only lives to drive in his purple SUV and wear gold chains.

6. horryrules

horryrules Contributing Member

Cat should be a 6th man again. To me, he is the perfect 6th man - instant offense a la Bobby Jackson and Nick Van Exel is his specialty.

If we sign a real pass first point guard, move Francis to the 2 and move Mobley to the bench, we will be on our way to running a decent offense (through Yao).

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yao and steve must be the stars. and they must take 20 fga's per game EACH.

after that we need role players that just want to play defence and hit an open shot. PJ Brown, Posey, and either McInnis or Crawford.

of the bench we need a scorer (cat), more defence and rebounding big men (cato/griff) and a sharp shooter (boki?).

the last 3 spots on the bench will be an vet PG and center. and Tmo :p

this can be our starting line-up next year. but the bench may take a long time to fix. we need to move mooch and moT.

8. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

Cat is hugely underappreciated by Rockets fans and would be a welcome addition to most teams around the league. I agree with some of the previous posters in this thread in that I think he would be an ideal 6th man, possibly one of the best in the league. Let's go out and find a decent point guard with good size (McGinnis, anyone?), move Mobes to the bench, SF to the 2, and enjoy our playoff-bound Rockets next season!

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ill choose option #2 please...

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You just answered your own question.

And "etc." includes can't pass and doesn't play defense all the time.

11. Mr. Clutch

Those are all true, except for the part of Steve Francis being a cancer and Cato being a children's book writer.

12. jo mama

i like cat. i dont think that we could upgrade the SG position anymore than him (steve included). i would rather dump francis than mobley.

his d is much better than steves and i think that he is learning to play w/ ming. his shots went down considerably in the 2nd half of the season. he just had surgery on his 2 ankles, so he should be better than he has been in a couple years.

i dont understand him comming off the bench either-at this point in his career has he not established himself as a legitimate starter? he is capeable of being a 20ppg scorer. how many players can do that? the problem is that him and steve are uncompatible on the court. they are too similar and both need the ball to be effective. it needs to be yao and one of the others (i would prefer cat). steve will never let yao be the man cause he will always see himself as the "franchise" (ha ha ha!). i think that cat would be more willing to play 2nd man behind ming.

13. jo mama

he was 2nd on the team in assists. around 3 or 4 per game.

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Amen. So funny that ppl used to bash Mobley for being a horrible defensive player. Now, everyone's admitting he's great. You need a third option guy like Mobley, like a Troy Hudson on Minnesota. The Mobley bashing is ridiculous. I watched the games. Mobley was not outrageously selfish as some claim.

15. Mr. Clutch

That really doesn't mean he's a good passer or gets everyone involved. It's obvious that he misses open teammates time and time again, and it seems like he usually finds Steve, even when Steve is under the basket behind a 7 footer and Yao Ming is wide open rolling after a pick.

He also holds the ball for way to long before making a decision. He stands there and looks at his opponent's feet until the shot clock is way down. Then he forces up a bad shot.

I'm not saying he's a horrible player but come on, it's obvious why people hate him.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Trade Steve for Arenas and Murphy. We get a pg like Steve, only he doesn't have to be "the man", a pf who can shoot and rebound :eek: , and we can focus on running the offense through Ming #1, and Cat #2.

17. Yun

Yun Member

Exactly! I do not like Cat to be the 6th man. It may be good for the rocket but not good for him. He deserves to be a starter. However, I do not think that with him and Steve has almost identical game, it helps the rocket.
    The rocket need only one of them to be a starter.
    Since Steve is the star, I think that the rocket need to move Cat.
    He can be a great starter for another team.

18. Nova

Nova Member

Amen! :D

19. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

NICE! I hope Clutch read that :D

20. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

With all those faults people pointed out about Mobley,
    Cat is not the problem for the Rox.
    Steve is not the problem for the Rox.
    Yao is not the problem for the Rox.
    But the 3 of them together might be the problem.
    Besides the fact that they all need touches, it is their style of play that makes it difficult if they are together.

They can only be at their best if they are free to do their things which might require 8, 10 secs to create a good shot. With Steve and Cat, it means some fancy dribbling. With Yao, it means checking the defense looking for a pass and then 1 on 1. With the Rockets starting their play at the 14 sec mark, that does not leave time for anything else.

When the offense starts with one of these 3, they can take the shot themselves. Once they pass, if the other players can catch and shoot, the play looks good.
    Trouble is, more often than not, after a Yao's pass, Steve or Cat (you can switch the 3 names around) still have to do their fancy dribbling before they can comfortably shoot. They are not the catch and shoot type of players (except for the alley-oops).

For this reason, a player like Allan Houston is much better suited for Houston than Cat. (although we should never pay that much for a player that does not create shots).

#20 ragingFire, May 19, 2003
    Last edited: May 19, 2003